WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

bushbuddy (classic twig burner),emberlite (burns longer sticks but ashes and coals can fall out),kelly kettle( heavy alum but work great,varied capacity),boilerwerks (which are extremely light, boils 2 cups of water and can burn alcohol but i have not tried that yet) got em all and use them for different setups

SWEET! I'm at work at the moment so don't have much time to look into the different setup's. I definitely have something to do tonight though

Keep the suggestions rolling...
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    Outside of Kent, CT I met a slightly touched homeless lady who put tea candles in a pie pan in her tent so she could read. Worked fine except for all the spark holes, the hole in the floor from the spilled wax, and the 2nd degree burns on her hand from said wax. Plus the extra warmth and C02 made it easier to sleep (and then knock over the candle).
    Given how flammable tents are and the dangers of carbon-monoxide, candles inside the tent sounds like a horribly bad idea.

I don't have one of these yet, but the BioLite CampStove looks pretty awesome for us technophiles.

Biolite-Stove-1.jpg

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I have a DIY bushbuddy. Parts cost about $5.00. I got a good soup lunch in the deal .

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32714
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Montana, I have seen that somewhere online before and that's definitely a sweet stove/gadget! One major drawback... weight! Unfortunately, I've spent way too much money crunching oz's to turn around and throw it all away on a stove LOL. But I do like the suggestion, thank you!

Grinder, the stove looks great. Do you have a DIY page or tutorial for this?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I was given a Honey Stove as a gift.

burns wood, esbit, or your alky stove fits inside. It's not cheap, but it burns all three fuels well, packs flat and you only carry the parts you need.

This is my favorite wood stove:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3xDqzEgzE

Such an ingenious idea. Fun to make to boot.

This little beauty is my favorite. Click on image to see a big pic. Course I'm biased . . .

FFbeauty.JPG
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a wood burning stand to use for primarily making small fires without the hassle of creating a fire ring, having clean up, etc. Just looking for something to contain a small fire to keep me company by my tent, provide minimal warmth and some light.

I was also considering getting the Evernew Ti Wood stove.
    Can anyone provide pictures of this stand (link below) against something so I can get an accurate idea of how big this is? If anyone wants to see this stand here is the link.http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/more_gear/

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great! I may end up buying something that I can throw my pepsi can stove into as well and double as a pot stand/windscreen.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    During the time hikers were transitioning from using open fires to using stoves, there were many designs for 'fire pans' available. Usually they were metal bowls and some folded up like the perferated vegetable steamers made of stainless steel. I have not seen this sort of thing being sold lately. There are also 'fire cloths' made of fiberglass cloth that are meant to protect the ground by covering them with dirt and then placing a small fire on top of the dirt. Another option for you might be the small aluminum pan designed to collect any embers that fall through the bottom vents of Webber charcoal grills, you can find them as replacement parts at most stores that sell the grills. You might be able to use this sort of thing for making a wood stove safer. Most places that allow fires have fire rings though.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I have the Evernew stove but found the wood burning option very limited due to it's size and only "played" with it.
    I now also have the TiTri Caldera Cone and consider the wood burning a very viable option.
    Both have inherent risks (particularly the way the cone grips a pot and can lift with it) and should be used with a great deal of caution and common sense.
    I believe for a wood burning only stove the Bush Buddy (or the Sierra fan forced one) would be better options.
    I have an old Sierra stove that I used to take on trips in the Smokies, where the floors of the shelters are carpeted with wood chips and bits left from generations of campers. I found that I could start it with a couple of pine cones and it would burn small sticks, pine bark chunks, pine cones, buffalo chips, etc. that I gathered during my hike in. They are fun where campfires are not allowed, are fairly lightweight and boil water really quickly, but make an awful mess of your cooking pot. I always kept my cooking pot in a gallon zip lock afterwards to avoid getting lampblack/soot all over everything.

Images

You've been given a lot of good options above. I have several wood burners, including the BushBuddy, (my favorite for cooking), Emberlit Ti, some home made ones from cans, and some other commercial ones as well. Of all that I have though the one that in my opinion fits the bill for your campfire alternative, is the Folding Woodgaz Stove built by Zelph, (or StovemanDan depending on the forum). It packs simply, works great, and with the screen sides, all of the fire is visable for that campfire appeal. It's worth the cost if it does what you want.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Grinder, the stove looks great. Do you have a DIY page or tutorial for this?

ask and ye shall receive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-xJxJthwuk

There are several others search utube for bushbuddy stove DIY
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Awesome! Thanks a lot Grinder.

Images

I'm kicking myself for not picking this up from off my watch list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160865554613

Jeeze, $7 bucks! I'd kick myself too! LOL

In 98 when I flipped I used 3 tent stakes to support pot (also for tent), a wind screen, firestarter sticks, and a few twigs. It was almost like a negative stove weight and it worked perfectly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I use a modified Sierra titanium zip stove. Have been for years.
    Uh OK how do you like it and why?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Given how flammable tents are and the dangers of carbon-monoxide, candles inside the tent sounds like a horribly bad idea.

I don't have one of these yet, but the BioLite CampStove looks pretty awesome for us technophiles.

Biolite-Stove-1.jpg
    Quite a few have taken a pass on this... how long are you going to keep a fire going to charge a phone and carry two pounds?

Its not bad as a group we thought it through on a earlier thread... What are your thoughts?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    You might like a Kelly Kettle, a version of a traditional storm kettle (in case you want to google the concept). Check out kellykettle.com or kellykettleusa.com. The downside is the lightest version weighs 1.3lbs. The upside is they use wood, probably could use an alcohol stove, and you'd have a warm bottle of water to keep in the tent. Careful though, that bottle will start off HOT.
    I am only a gram weenie on solar power, but the recommendation on 2.15 or more lbs I have to take a pass.

Woo

Another big +1 for the ti tri caldera cone. Yes it's pricey, but it just seems to fit the bill so perfectly. You can save on space and weight by ditching your other stove. Cook with alcohol if you're in a hurry, cook with wood if you have time, or just use it as a mini fire pit. Multi-use is good. Also, you can use some of the alcohol you'll be carrying anyways to help start fires if it's wet out.

The DIY bushbuddy is badass and I might make one just for fun... But it doesn't make sense to carry something like that AND another cooking system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++