WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

The poles I settled on are Outside Edge, The first ones I found at a flea market liked the way they feel so i got more for my children. only $20 for two so I hope they hold up for the thru hike.
    They seem to be well made.

Two poles and make sure they are three secion an collapsible. Many folks who buy poles think they are for downhills only. Once you get used to two poles, they are of even more use going uphill as you can transfer a lot of the load in your legs to you upper body. Initially it may feel awkward but once you are used to it, it allows you to keep up a faster consistent pace up hill. I must admit they can be a PITA on occasion on rocky slopes in the whites and maine but the benefits far outweigh the infrequent times they get in the way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Going with two poles

I'm planning to go with one hiking pole next summer, but that might change. I like to carry snacks and water in the other hand at times, and to have that hand free for tough climbing.

I also use my hiking poles with a poncho tarp, but I think my bivy sack will allow me to get away with just one pole.

I skipped most of the posts so unsure if this has been addressed, but make sure and use the straps on the poles correctly. This will ensure maximum efficiency with least amount of energy expended.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I've never used them But I think that I'm going to start my hike w/ two of them and if the retraining the muscle memory is too weird I'm sure that I can give them away
    btw
    There are youtube vids on how to use them properly

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

animals know what's up. 4 points on the ground is the way to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I skipped most of the posts so unsure if this has been addressed, but make sure and use the straps on the poles correctly. This will ensure maximum efficiency with least amount of energy expended.
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    Both of these are excellent points.

For the record, I used two poles. The option of having the points of contact was much appreciated. And if you get a pair with straps, make sure you're using them right. It sounds silly, but they may be contoured in a specific way so that hands should either go from below(the more common method, in my experience) or through the top before you grab the handle. With the straps used right, you may not even have to hold the pole, just like the momentum of your arm extend them. It's pretty fantastic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    Funny, I look at this exactly the opposite way. 2-legged human beings are the most perfect walking machines ever invented. four legged animals waste tons of energy. Google this subject up sometime. Humans are so very efficient in their walking it's amazing. Bill Bryson has an excellent thesis on this in his book "A short history of nearly everything". He points out that humans can basically chase down most four legged animals and eventually catch them. Sure, they are faster (most of them) in spurts, but humans will nearly always be able to eventually catch them. Why? Because they have two legs and move extremely efficiently. Four legs are inefficient.

Using trekking poles means you burn lots of extra energy raising and lowering your poles (which you have to do with your feet as well, to walk). 5 million steps to walk the AT? That means raising and lowering your two trekking poles 5 million times, right? Sure, poles saves wear/tear on knees and ankles/feet, that's a huge benefit. But I find one, and exactly one pole does this quite nicely and is the perfect compromise between extra energy use (using two poles) and absorbing some shock on the knees/feet (using one).

Stability? Someone mentioned that 4 points of contact is more stable? What do you think is more stable, a three legged table or a four legged one??? The answer is a three legged one.

It's personal preference. I used a staff for 30 years. In the last year I have transitioned to 2 very light home made bamboo poles.

I'm much faster with 2 poles. It just seems more natural, more symmetrical, driving forward, and not torquing the body to one side. I tried one pole again last weekend and I felt like I was limping.

See what works for you.
    GA 80-Miler

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    But I find one, and exactly one pole does this quite nicely and is the perfect compromise between extra energy use (using two poles) and absorbing some shock on the knees/feet (using one).
    right up until you are carrying it in your right hand and your left foot hits a wet root or rock and slides out from under you and you fall on your left side because nothing is there to catch you

mogul skiers use 2 poles.. that is how i walk down the trail. flick and plant. feet go where they want below, upper body stays level, square and balanced.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have always found that the correct number of poles is three.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I have always found that the correct number of poles is three.
    So... strap an ancillary one to your pack?
    Punchline - GA-VA 2012

Images

It really depends; do you have two hands? If you have two hands, the correct answer is two poles.

Do what works for you. I won't hike without two poles. They prevent knee pain, they help with acceleration, they help with endurance, and they prevent falls. Also, they allow you to recruit upper body musculature (rhomboids and biceps for traditional poles, triceps and lats for PacerPoles) into the hiking process.

Images

It's a personal choice, I was offered a couple of poles on a weekend hike when I was first getting started hiking and found that I really benefitted from them, I'm a little on the clumsy side, so they really helped me put.

Another question: what type of wood is best for a walking stick?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++