WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Ghost on the AT??

Simple question...have you or someone you know ever had any ghostly or unexplained experiences happen while on the AT?

Default Not me, but...

In 2007 I was at Watuga Lake shelter and the next morning two people (who didn't know one another) claimed to have seen orb-like lights all around the shelter that night (in front of the shelter).

I was in my tent behind the shelter, so I didn't see anything, but they were adamant about what they saw.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    In 2007 I was at Watuga Lake shelter and the next morning two people (who didn't know one another) claimed to have seen orb-like lights all around the shelter that night (in front of the shelter).

I was in my tent behind the shelter, so I didn't see anything, but they were adamant about what they saw.
    Another reason to tent..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Sounds like the drugs worked.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just fyi... there is no such thing as a ghost...

Some kinds od rotting wood will glow in the dark ! Could be all around the shelter ; ( on the ground).
    If these lights were floating around in the air , then they must be something else . Swamp Gas ,
    like in the movie " Brave " . David

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    Simple question...have you or someone you know ever had any ghostly or unexplained experiences happen while on the AT?
    heck no. ain't no damn ghosts on the trail or anywhere

Images

The only ghosts I know are the ones I read about.
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 10-07-2012 at 18:18.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I have had two ghostly experiences 2011 on top of Cedar Mountain and this year at Burningtown Gap.

I'm 100% sure that there was a Ghost on the trail in 2011.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

@ ChinMusic & @SweetSpot- Is it too hard to explain in a post?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    @ ChinMusic & @SweetSpot- Is it too hard to explain in a post?
    uhhh. a hiked named ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    uhhh. a hiked named ghost
    Uhhh. do you mean a hiker named ghost?... LOL!!!

Images

I have had several turn my head and scratch ***'s but never "saw" anything. Punchbowl Shelter has the most buzz and I did stay the night once the noise from the wildlife was the loudest Ive ever heard at a shelter. The frogs, fish, birds and Deer all making plenty sound. An hour before sunrise a Screeching Owl woke me up so I wont say it's haunted but I don't think I slept more then 2hrs without an interruption. If I stay more then 1 time Id have a better opinion and I don't think I knew it was a haunted Shelter when I stayed only finding out days later. I definitely felt spirits present at Punchbowl

I also stayed at the one in Northern TN were the woman was killed that maybe haunted many hear voices and Ive concluded the acoustics of the lake below bounce sound up to the Shelter but didnt feel like ghost or spirits present.

Around the roller coaster I saw the biggest shoe size hiking boot imprint on the trail going SOBO and when I came across a NoBO asking if they had seen anyone with a size 25+ boot they hadn't crossed paths with any one either I've jokingly concluded that Sasquatch has a buddy with a shoe store/cobbler.

The area from Lee, Mass to Hudson River, NY I felt at times of being followed or watched sometimes for Hrs or days. The amount of tree limbs falling and swaying in this area had me asking several times how/what did that?

No ghosts... but No Business Knob shelter gives me the creeps. I don't like to be anywhere near it at night.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    No ghosts... but No Business Knob shelter gives me the creeps. I don't like to be anywhere near it at night.
    Oh yeah, I remember that shelter. We stopped in there for lunch. A woman was there begging us to stay there, overnight. I couldn't wait to push on...

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that shelter. We stopped in there for lunch. A woman was there begging us to stay there, overnight. I couldn't wait to push on...
    I don't know what it is about that shelter. I feel like I'm being watched there. By something not very nice.

Journal Entries

Where is that? I'll be sure to avoid it on my thru next year!

Images

Uncle Nick Grindstaffs Memorial 3 miles south of Cross Mtn Road. http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/plac...ffs_grave.html

Along the Appalachian Trail in Shady Valley on Iron Mountain, the dividing line between Shady Valley and Stoney Creek, there is the chimney-shaped grave of Uncle Nick Grindstaff, a man who, as the tombstone says, "Lived alone, Suffered alone, and Died alone.”
    According to Carter County, Tennessee and Its People, 1796-1993, when he was 26 years old, he was attacked and robbed at a saloon on his way to Johnson County from Missouri, where he had went in hopes of finding fortunes. The money he had hidden in his boot secured him land on top of the mountain, but he became a recluse and was seldom seen in Stoney Creek. The only company he had was a dog named Panter, a steer and a rattlesnake. In 1923, a man went up to visit Nick and found him dead in bed in his shanty. Panter would not allow anyone to touch his body and had to be chained to a tree to allow the man’s body to be buried at the base of the chimney. After it was released, the dog pined away over the grave, mournfully howling long into the night. The house was eventually dismantled, but the chimney was respectfully left as a memorial.

According to J. R. Tate’s book Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers: Lore and Legends of the Appalachian Trail, some hikers believe that in this place has a history that is more alive than most places. Tales have circulated for years that if someone camps at this site, they can hear a spectral dog howling late into the night. Perhaps Panter’s grief still hangs around the old homestead?

I don't know what it is about that shelter. I feel like I'm being watched there. By something not very nice.
    Hummm... interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRat09 View Post
    Where is that? I'll be sure to avoid it on my thru next year!
    It's the shelter right before you get to Erwin TN. going NOBO. The shelter is rather small.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++