WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I use 2 pointy sticks, but, I mean that you are correct...our tax dollars should be enough.... but all the money that we send overseas makes my head spin. I did something about 9 months ago that I had never done in my first 55 years.......I sent emails to my State senator and my congressman to complain about the insane amount of money we were sending to Somalia. I got no responce from my Senator[he didn't get any votes from the burbs!] and I got a song & a dance from my congressman. So, $20.00 bucks is $20.00 bucks, and I am one of those folks that pays my taxes, income, sales, property, very steep gasoline, all of them! So, 20 bucks is 20 bucks, and it don't come easy!
    hey Lou, I agree with you! ...and congrats on your post on this topic not being deleted by WB. I made a very similar post a week ago here, and it was deleted by WB. Maybe it was deleted becuz I used the word "Afghanistan" in my post? Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'll pay the $20 to thru hike GSMNP, if it keeps out the hiker trash riff raff. Soon the Smokies will be like the Whites, with the huts and shelters full of the Asheville yuppies with their North Face sweater shirts and Fedora hats, Columbia hiking boots, sipping their soy latte's and Starbucks Via coffee. Just think how the conversation will be cleaned up and improved at the Smokies' shelters. Keep out the riff raff and hiker trash that won't pay the $20..... why not make it $50, or $100? that would really clean up the AT in the park! I can't wait to go again!

Images

As I've said I've got no problem paying my share. We pay the $20.00 fee to get in Jellystone every year...for 7days. We pay the 12-15 dollars per nite at the campgrounds. Not a problem. I have not been to GSNP yet, but I have been reading this thread from folks that have lots of time there. I just disagree with chargeing this fee to the small group that uses the backcountry. It doesn't seem like good business for one thing, such a small group to try to get money from. Plus the fact that those in the backcountry would be the folks that need facilities the least. So what is this charge for? Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.......I just don't have it........................anymore.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Last time I thruhiked the Shenandoahs there was no permit and I could camp wherever I found a spot. Can you still camp wherever you want??
    What year did you hike? There has been a required FREE backcountry permit for a long time.

You can camp almost anywhere. There are no assigned campsites in SNP's backcountry. You do have to observe certain rules such as a few no-camping zones, no camping within X feet from strsams or roads or buildings, etc.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    As I've said I've got no problem paying my share. We pay the $20.00 fee to get in Jellystone every year...for 7days. We pay the 12-15 dollars per nite at the campgrounds. Not a problem. I have not been to GSNP yet, but I have been reading this thread from folks that have lots of time there. I just disagree with chargeing this fee to the small group that uses the backcountry. It doesn't seem like good business for one thing, such a small group to try to get money from. Plus the fact that those in the backcountry would be the folks that need facilities the least. So what is this charge for? Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.......I just don't have it........................anymore.
    $20 gets you into a Jellystone Park for seven days? Yogi and Boo Boo must be starving!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    What year did you hike? There has been a required FREE backcountry permit for a long time.

You can camp almost anywhere. There are no assigned campsites in SNP's backcountry. You do have to observe certain rules such as a few no-camping zones, no camping within X feet from strsams or roads or buildings, etc.
    The first time I did it was in the summer of 1984. The last time was in the winter of '87. I think winter is the best time as traffic stops to a crawl and heck I think they even closed the road then, at least all the shops were closed, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    For a word in support of the horribly noisey bikes... the cars can hear the noise too, hopefully preventing them from running over the bikers. Some go overboard, but as a former rider, anything that will get the attention of those Sunday drivers is a benefit towards safety.
    "Loud pipes save lives" is a load of crap. I have a few hundred thousand miles on motorcycles.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

IMG_0528.jpg

I don' wanna pickle ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I think that for winter hikers the sound of snowmobiles is much worse than the sound of unmuffled motorcycles

Images

Saw this coming a few years ago. Plus the new $4.00 a night fee for "regular" back country camping.
    The only problem I have is: a few years ago I was going to do a week long trip that required staying at 3 "Reservation ONLY!" sites in GSMNP, I started calling 30 days in advance cause you can't make reservations before that time,,,,, no answer the first day after about 10 attempts. Day 2; 14 attempts. then: 20, 30, 40 etc. The last week, every time I got a spare moment at work, I even called the information desk in the visitor's center (about 15' down the hall from the reservations office!) & had them ask around, to no avail. I even tried calling while in route,,,, ended up staying in those areas anyway.
    Granted, the article on the $4.00 fee says they will extend hours & bla bla bla. But, , , , Oh well, I'll make A (as in ONE) attempt, busy signal, I'll call back. No answer, I'm going hiking! They want my money, they can answer the d*** phone!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    I think that for winter hikers the sound of snowmobiles is much worse than the sound of unmuffled motorcycles
    Thankfully, newer snow machines are infinitely quieter than those of 30-40 years ago. The appeal of them still eludes me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

My thru-hike has been posponed before due to accidents. As for my children one is old enough to help and is helping as much as possible. But this maybe my last chance for a thru-hike I was told last year that I have spinal tumors and a 30% chance of being able to walk after surgery. So for me this is my chance to make a dream come true while I can still walk. I may not complete it but I'm damn sure going to try. And intend to do it on less than $1000.00 after gear which I have most of. If you have so much money to spend more to ya I don't. But that should'nt mean that don't have the right to do it or should have to put it off until they open it up to wheelchairs.

Starbright
    This site is frequented by good people who want you and other hikers such as I to succeed.
    Whatever criticism that you may be getting because of the $1000.00 after initial expenses is based on the fact that you can't successfully thru hike the AT w/ that small amount of money ...and you need to understand that

If i had it, i would pay $100 to hike the AT through the Smokies. It was a glorious experience all 3 times.i had a friend from 2000 that was a ridgerunner there in 2001-volunteer-that packed out an encredible amount of trash.If my fee makes sure someone is at least given something for that ok.The AT is not a free thing monetarily, perhaps the Park Service could figure out a work for stay situation for those AT hikers needing it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    Starbright
    This site is frequented by good people who want you and other hikers such as I to succeed.
    Whatever criticism that you may be getting because of the $1000.00 after initial expenses is based on the fact that you can't successfully thru hike the AT w/ that small amount of money ...and you need to understand that
    I know it can be done. I once traveled across 26 states for 2 months with 3 kids and a dog on $87.00 a week and that was for food, gas, and camping fees so I know I can do this.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by starbright View Post
    I know it can be done. I once traveled across 26 states for 2 months with 3 kids and a dog on $87.00 a week and that was for food, gas, and camping fees so I know I can do this.
    That was with driving a Chevy Suburban at 9 miles to a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Thankfully, newer snow machines are infinitely quieter than those of 30-40 years ago. The appeal of them still eludes me.
    It's the appeal of gas addiction and throttle envy. It's in the same category as the bonobo fascination with ATV's. Lard butted Americans find it very difficult to just walk on two legs, whether on snowshoes or in boots.

That was with driving a Chevy Suburban at 9 miles to a gallon.
    But gas was $0.30/gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's the appeal of gas addiction and throttle envy. It's in the same category as the bonobo fascination with ATV's. Lard butted Americans find it very difficult to just walk on two legs, whether on snowshoes or in boots.
    Don't badmouth bonobos. They love everybody.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    But gas was $0.30/gallon.

$2.68 a gallon in lower states and $2.89 a gallon in Northern states.

With all due respect, if you can thruhike the AT on less than $1,000 -- and I don't mean begging or mouching the entire way, I mean all costs of food, lodging, fuel, and typical incidentals, except for one-night work-for-stays at listed hostels when you can get them, are borne by you -- and do it for less than $1k, then I will personally reimburse you for the $1k you spend. I'm one of the fortunate ones with tons of money, and if someone in your condition can do a legit thru on $1k, then I don't mind paying that amount to see it done.

If you want to give it a go, PM me and we can work out the details -- Trailjournal so everyone can follow your journey, etc.

For that matter, even if you just make it to the Smokies, I'll send you a check for $100 ($20 X 5 nights to cover the yet to be imposed hiking fees).

How 'bout those apples?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++