WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Can't get thru to reservations

Anyone know what's up at the moment with the back-country reservation telephone? I haven't been able to get through in three days. The 1st day I got their pre-recorded message that says somethig along the lines of "if you are hearing this during normal hours, an emergency has come up and park personel have had to be reallocated to other duties". But now for the last two days, the phone simply rings and rings and rings - never an answer.

I understand the need to occationally reallocate personel... but the timing and duration of this almost sounds like a protest by the park for the lawsuit being raised about the new fees.

I'll admit that I would gladly pay a small fee to be able to make these reservations online 24/7. My objection is that the per-person fee structure makes it as expensive or more expensive for me to camp in the back-country with my family than it is to camp in the front-country... without any extra emenities.

Anyone know what's currently up?

No, but a common complaint.

Why not become the squeaky wheel? Contact your Congressman. Even ask an aid to help you. You might be amazed at the results. I have on a couple other issues that garnerd a quick response once my elected representative got the ball rolling.

Find them here:
    http://congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

Keep us posted.....
    Last edited by Spokes; 10-04-2012 at 10:26.

Good suggestion, Spokes.
    I can agree with you on the problem. I felt so LUCKY when I called and someone answered, after trying for a few days. It was frustrating to say the least. If charging the fee would help with this problem, it would be worth it. Something needs 2 give....

Images

You just have to be persistent.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I found a secondary number somehow that answered on the first try. See if these work: 865-436-1231 or 865-436-1297
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Why not become the squeaky wheel?
    Not looking to start a campain (we've already got the new reservation system comming... and the lawsuit over the fees, so I don't see that I need to start anything else new right now).
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    You just have to be persistent.
    I am being persistent. But that does no good if no one is answering the phones.
    I'm used to having to try several times to get through because the line is busy, or the occational "we're out doing other things" message.

This is different... it seems that for at least three days NO ONE IS ANSWERING THE PHONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I found a secondary number somehow that answered on the first try. See if these work: 865-436-1231 or 865-436-1297
    The 1st number is the back country reservations number... the number I've been calling and no one is answering (it currently just rings and rings).
    The 2nd number it the back country information number... it's currently getting answered with the "if you are getting this during normal hours..." message.

Images

That is what happens. I find if I call first thing in the morning it helps sometimes.

You can make reservations at either place. One number is staffed by volunteers though, so they are not always there. If you are going somewhere reservations are needed, but space isn't usually an issue, then you can make reservations in person as you are entering the park at the office. I sometimes go that route too. Where are you trying to go to?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Not looking to start a campain ...
    I understand. Sometimes it's just good to let a public agency know their "system" isn't working and is frustrating their customers. In the Federal system this is usually best accomplished with a simple phone call from someone in Congress inquiring about what's going on (I've seen it happen).

Ultimately, it benefits the rest of the hiking community.

Cheers!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

FINALLY!!! Someone answered!

Unfortunately (as I expected) Mt Sterling is already booked up for next Saturday.

With kids in school, the weekends are the only time I can take them up there this time of year. The web cams show the leaves are starting to turn, so I figured by the 13th, they will be pretty good. I'd also like to hike Baxter Creek as a 'test' hike for trying to take my oldest on a camping trip in the Grand Canyon. Hiking up and back down Baxter seems like a pretty good test for hiking the Grand Canyon (except everything is in reverse... here you go up then down with 100% humidity, at Grand Canyon, you hike down then up with 0% humidity).

I had the same problem, started calling Monday morning. I'd call every 30-45min, sometimes get the message, other times it was busy and sometimes it would just ring. By Wednesday afternoon I was fed up. Gave the number to one of the guys in the group and asked him to call. He let it ring about 30 times and they finally answered...guess they finally got tired of listening to it ring!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    If charging the fee would help with this problem, it would be worth it.
    I could compound the problem, people calling with questions and making reservations when before they only needed to fill out a form at the kiosk.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I could compound the problem, people calling with questions and making reservations when before they only needed to fill out a form at the kiosk.
    You could ONLY fill out a form at the kiosk if you were not staying at a rationed site. Otherwise, you had to get someone on the phone so that they could make a reservation for you at one of these sites.

As for compounding the problem... unless they really screw up the implementation, I can figure out how to work a website, and I would much rather dink with a web site at my convenience rather than having to deal with limited hours, busy signals, and flat-out "no body's home".

My only objection with the currently proposed fee structure is that it's going to cost me MORE to take all of my kids into the back country (because I have to pay for each one of them) than it is to stay at a front country site (where you pay per site not per person).

Images

I wish the new system would only require you to use their reservations for the current sites that require reservations and leave the rest as is, so if you do like I do and avoid using those sites, you could still just fill out a permit and drop it in as you are heading into the park.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Clearly they need the fees to pay someone to collect the fees. US government at work.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I wish the new system would only require you to use their reservations for the current sites that require reservations and leave the rest as is, so if you do like I do and avoid using those sites, you could still just fill out a permit and drop it in as you are heading into the park.
    SGT Rock,
    you are trying to apply logic and rational thinking to the Federal Gov't and that never works! However, I agree completely with what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Clearly they need the fees to pay someone to collect the fees. US government at work.
    But why make every backcountry site Reservation Only?? Backpacking is all about flexibility and changing plans. Deluges, high water creek crossings, lightning blasts, deep snow, illness---you name it---these factors will alter a night's camp. Reserving sites is impossible to do for any trip over one or two nights.

Journal Entries

Just my opinion.

I really dont think reservations are about "reservations". They are about limiting access, in order to limit impact and protect the backcountry experience.

Once out there, no one cares what you do, unless a park employee is there.

I dont think many actually follow their reservations past the first day or two anyway. I know we didnt. Too many variables, including weather.

Most try to go a little farther than planned, get ahead of schedule, and finish sooner. Once you meet others heading your way, they will make room for you if needed,a nd encourage you to just keep on to the next shelter, even if you dont have reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Just my opinion.

I really dont think reservations are about "reservations". They are about limiting access, in order to limit impact and protect the backcountry experience.

Once out there, no one cares what you do, unless a park employee is there.
    Or unless you run into a ridgerunner snitch. Why should I be looking over my shoulder for a fine?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Or unless you run into a ridgerunner snitch. Why should I be looking over my shoulder for a fine?

if you stay off the AT I doubt a ridgerunner would be in the other areas of the park. I would guess a lot of folks stealth camp now in the Smokies and it will increase after the fees start
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    if you stay off the AT I doubt a ridgerunner would be in the other areas of the park. I would guess a lot of folks stealth camp now in the Smokies and it will increase after the fees start
    You're probably right, but my days of stealth camping are over. That's a young man's game unless you're a homeless bum in a city park. In my heyday I was King Rat when it came to stealth camping---could sleep behind a tombstone in a city cemetery or off in a treeline next to an Interstate. In them days it was called Freedom, God-given freedom with the Holy Ruck. But now all I want to do is be in the woods and follow trails and camp in peace. The Park Tent Police are interfering with my peace of mind. Ergo I'll avoid the Motards and the Park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++