Quote Originally Posted by rev_sunshine View Post
GSMNP is one of the only national parks in the country that doesn't charge an entrance fee. It's also the most visited park. Thru hikers create the most backcountry damage (outside of storms and natural damage). Thru hikers leave trash, crap wherever they please, wash dishes/clothes in the water systems, leave food out for the bears, start fires where they're not supposed to, camp wherever they please despite the damage it does, destroy shelters, etc. And, despite all of the "I love nature. We need to protect this precious natural resource" rhetoric, ppl are crying over 4$ and devising their plans to screw the park more. I spend A LOT of time in The Smokies...way more than the 8 or so nights most thru hikers do. If the park workers/volunteers weren't so busy picking up after sloppy thru hikers (some of whom are just downright piggish), maybe some other trails could get maintained too. But instead of fixing trails that have been closed for years, ungrateful thru hikers get new shelters for their 8 night visit...and they're STILL complaining.
I'm surprised that someone that hikes a lot through GSMNP and lives in the area is so misinformed on this new system. Not one cent will be spent on upkeep of anything, even the park officials have admitted to that; the money is solely to support the new reservation system and newly hired park rangers, two of them.

More information in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park forum<!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link --> http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...-National-Park