WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Hanging- Important Knots You should know

Well I was wondering what kind of knots people use and why they use them in regards to all things hammocks (guy lines, tarp suspension, hammock suspension, anything)
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Look into Dutch ware for no-knot stuff.

Knots. Bowline, clove hitch, cow hitch, fishermans knot, marlinspike hitch, prusik
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use the web & buckle system on my WBBB, with a half-hitch in the web to stop any slippage.
    Because it's so easy, I use small figure-9s for a nice, tight hang on my tarp ridgeline.
    I use a clove hitch, two half-hitches, or a tautline hitch for staking out the sides of the tarp, or for tying the sides off to a branch.
    A slipped buntline is also excellent for hanging the hammock.
    Otherwise, if the knot ain't in "Knots for Dummies", I don't use it!

Images

I use Dutchware (hooks, clips, and tarpflyz), because I don't like UNtying knots in the morning. I used to use a taut-line hitch for just about everything on my hammock, worked fine for me.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

A slipped buntline for my hammock's line and strap suspension. Also use a lot of prusik loops on my tarp guylines. Splicing zing-it and lash-it lines is also quite addictive, locked brummels and burries to form spliced eyes and soft shackle prusik loops. It's definately a slipperly slope.

David

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default Lashing

Lashing: figure eight double half hitch Video
    Kevin

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Use the Slap-Strap Pro......it won't break and there are no knots.

+1 on the taut line hitch; it's versatile - it allows you to adjust the length of your line, making it longer or shorter as needed. I use that one on my tarp guy lines.

ALso, the double fisherman's knot to fashion loops for a prussic knot, which you can slide along your line to where you need it.

Lots of others, but the tautline is a "go to" knot for me.

Images

I use five knots almost exclusively, two you learn on the Hennessy hammock site videos. The first is the figure eight lashing used to tie the hammock to the tree. It doesn't bind in the morning, and comes out nice and easy. The second is a butterfly knot, used to put a non-slip loop in the middle of a line, without having to pull the ends all the way through. I keep two in my fly lines, one near the middle and one near the end, for quick staking and fly angle changes. The third is a sliding knot, the other one on the hennessy hammock video. It allows you to adjust tension quickly on lines. The fourth is the clove hitch, usually used for bear bagging. It's nice in that it creates a knot in the middle of a cord without having to pull the ends through. It requires a stick or something to be inserted through the loop, but it also disappears when you remove the stick. The last knot is a popular fishhook knot, sort of a modified noose. It's best on smaller cord. Go to Walmart, look at the back of a pack of hooks or fishing lures. Good for tying the end of a rope to something... Like securing your compass or gps to your pack.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    +1 on the taut line hitch; it's versatile - it allows you to adjust the length of your line, making it longer or shorter as needed. I use that one on my tarp guy lines.

ALso, the double fisherman's knot to fashion loops for a prussic knot, which you can slide along your line to where you need it.

Lots of others, but the tautline is a "go to" knot for me.
    the taught line hitch is my go to knot.buffalo skipper posted his rigging knots one day on here to help me. maybe he will repost it.with the taught line when your done with the three wraps in the same direction make one more wrap in the opposite direction it works better.i think he called it a mid shipmans knot.try it you will like it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is the HH video on the main lashing'

http://hennessyhammock.com/media/C37/#content
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

For hammock hanging I only used the larks head that is all that is needed. For bear bag hanging and basically anything else the double half hitch!

++ New Posts ++