WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

There are already a couple of shelters with electrical outlets . . . of course they ain't connected to anything.

From the ones on the Long Trail I liked the Stratton Pond shelter style with bunks and a loft. I also liked the double layer lean to's/camps like Spruce Camp and Imp shelter (NH not LT but that style)

the only "amenity" i really got spoiled with was the 4 sided Lodge/camps, just nice to have 4 walls and a door sometimes. other than that.. roof that works

I think of Mountaineer ( Bob is pretty much the Chuck Norris of the AT) and Jim & Molly Denton as pretty much the perfect shelter designs. Bear poles covered cooking area, plenty of sleeping space. That being said with a handful of exceptions ( dicks dome, and the one 11 miles north of hot springs with the gaps in the floor) even the most spartan shelters are fine. Give my regards to SCAD, I hope the coeds are still regularly earning their Ranger Panties.

Journal Entries
    Images

I merge all three threads into this one thread/topic. No double or triple posting allowed.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

the shelters in new york were terrible. building into the side of a boulder is a quick way to wet everything and rotten floors. otherwise, shelters should be simple and have a fake electrical outlet every now and again.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

It would be a great improvement if we could just get a privy at each shelter! Concentrating groups of hikers at one place without providing a privy is just wrong. The end results are predictable and obvious.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the shelters are not needed.
    I will have to confess, that big red barn at Overmountain sure was nice after walking 20 something miles in the poring rain, the trail was either a flowing stream or ankle deep mud, cold wet, tired, was nice to get out of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by zcalla20 View Post
    These are all amenities I feel do not belong in a shelter, however I have spoken with other hikers that feel it is important to have some of these.

While I do not agree with them, I felt it important to get a more collected understanding of what to and what not to incorporate into my designs

Thank you for bringing that section up, I know it is a controversial topic.
    Other hikers want electricity? Are they nuts? Just stay at home then and sleep in the carport. This project is a good example of the Engineer mentality in full bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    Here are some features I would like to see in future shelters.

1. I would like there to be more space where people can't sleep. Sometimes the shelters get crowded with sleeping people, and there's no space to put my stuff.
    2. smaller shelters
    3. more nails sticking out of walls
    4. more cans on the strings where you put your food, or more metal boxes
    5. Outlets are nice as long as they don't require maintenance. This isn't for all shelters, and it's not a priority.
    6. polyurethane glue
    7. better signs pointing to the shelter
    8. If it's on land that is protected for a few hundred years, it should usually be made of permanent materials.

I would also like to see more blazes. These are more important than shelters. Lots of blazes and no shelters would be fine.
    Having more space where people can't sleep sounds like a good idea too. Zero space.

Outlets are nice? This is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post

1. I would like there to be more space where people can't sleep. Sometimes the shelters get crowded with sleeping people, and there's no space to put my stuff.

Your stuff goes in your backpack.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

no more shelters should be built and they should start tearing some down. thin them out. one every 15 miles or so.

I have always thought that we need fewer shelters. Just tent platforms with bear poles or cables, a privy, and a water source - that's all that is needed. The shelters are just a crutch...

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    There are already a couple of shelters with electrical outlets . . . of course they ain't connected to anything.
    I was in one of those shelters with the fake electrical outlets... let me tell ya.. it messed with my head for a minute!! It was great!! LOL!

Images

How about premade mouse holes with little guillotine blades???

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    I have always thought that we need fewer shelters. Just tent platforms with bear poles or cables, a privy, and a water source - that's all that is needed. The shelters are just a crutch...
    I'm all about crutches... I'll be interested in seeing the final design. I hope the OP can share it with us. My daughter is a licensable architect. She would have loved doing this project, herself.

Over the years of sectioning I saw several overly complex architectural masterpieces that looked great but werent particularly usesful. One of the shleters off of the Blue ridge parkway was quite and impressive building withe a leaky roof as the NPS had decided that wooden shakes were required. There were extensive entires in the register on where one or two spots in the entire building would not be subject to leaks.

I did like the sites in Northern VA that had the seperate covered cooking pavillion and fire ring. It shifted the social area away from the shelter.

Getting the shelter up off the ground in the air with an open space underneath seemed to cut back on folks stuffing trash under the floors and seemed to cut back on the critters. It might be a bit cooler than a shelter that is right on top of the ground but it sure seemed to keep the shelters easier to keep clean.

AT 2012

...hey, I'm a practicing hiker architect, (notice the order of importance...) and I teach architecture at a local prep school. want some feedback? send your design to HikermomKD for her daughter's review -- and send it to me, too. or, as others suggest, let us all look! what fun...
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    How about premade mouse holes with little guillotine blades???
    Good one...now what about the bears...and please do something about the snoring.

Too bad they moved this thing here. This is a hot button issue and you would have 200 hits by now. Few people come here

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...hey, I'm a practicing hiker architect, (notice the order of importance...) and I teach architecture at a local prep school. want some feedback? send your design to HikermomKD for her daughter's review -- and send it to me, too. or, as others suggest, let us all look! what fun...
    Awesome... great suggestion!! I see that hiker architect in order of importance... LOL!! I already mentioned this thread to my daughter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by drybones View Post
    good one...now what about the bears...and please do something about the snoring.
    amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++