WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Well, the 2013 Companion will list them as a maildrop location, too. Stopped by there on our research trip and talked to the staff, seemed okay at the time, said they still accepted maildrops. Will follow up with this next year.

I'd send a mail drop to the Atkins PO, or hitch a ride into Marion for an overnight stay and resupply if it were me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

we did call the police and filed a report. nothing has come of it.

I don't know why people use this crossroads as a mail drop. There is the shuttle into Marion from Mt Rogers HQ the day before. Sure you lose a half a day, but at least it is a real town.

Put a Black Mamba snake in your drop box; Black Mamba's are also good for aggressive dogs and horses in GSMNP.

"black mambas will kill a dog or several dogs if threatened and it happens quite often. We also find dead cows and horses! We were called by the frantic family late one evening. When we arrived minutes later, two small dogs had already died and two more were showing severe symptoms of envenomation. Within 15 minutes we had found and bagged the snake. By this time the other two dogs were also dead. The snake must have been moving through the garden when it was attacked by the dogs. It would have struck out defensively, biting all the dogs that came within reach. The snake was bitten in several places on its body as well and died about a week later.

Similarly, black mambas have been witnessed confronting, biting, and subsequently killing lions and other large predators, such as spotted hyenas and leopards, in defense of their territory, eggs, or when the predators stand between the snakes and their prey."

Images

Great idea but they are difficult to find in Virginia.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Journal Entries
    Images

I ate Lunch, dinner & Breakfast at The Barn when I hiked thru there @ 2 months ago, I was very happy with the food but I agree, it doesn't look like I place I would send a package for hold to. I also stayed at the Relax in, (it's nearly acroos the street) it may be a better option. The nice things about these 2 places is that both are literally right on the trail
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I bought at the convenience store. Expensive though.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Sorry i didn't see this thread earlier-Missy has owned The Barn for 5 years, i know they had some staff problems,but i think she has corrected some of them.I know she has done alot for hikers in the past. I think a good rule of thumb is in a small area as ours where the economy is dismal there is a high turnover of employees,so, sure send food ect. but send valubles & money thru the post office.Maybe it's partially my fault for not overseeing it,but we have been quite consumed by Aqua's dialysis & my 2 jobs. We miss having the hostel. I wouldn't count the Barn out as a place to eat-sounds like a bad day-they happen.

the food was good, but i wouldn't send a package there.

Rambunny knows the Trail and is all about the Trail. The short time I stayed with her and Aqua back in 2010 has influenced me on a personal level. God Bless them both and trust what she says.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++