WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've been using the MSR MIOX for years. It's been tested and supposedly used by the military. As best I can tell, the Steripen has not. They look very fragile to me and the thought of having to clean up all that glass, after dropping one on a rock, is enough reason for me to not carry one. Back up for any water purifying system is boiling the water over a campfire.

I remember a Backpacker Magazine article that tried to test chemicals, filtering and just drinking the water (the Steripen didn't exist then). They measured the percentage of people who got sick in a given section of trail over a given time period. Don't remember the exact percentages (they carried to the tenth of a percent), but the results were something like: filtering the water - 15%, chemical treating the water - 15% and drinking untreated water - wait for it - 15%! I still treat with my MSR MIOX, but wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Journal Entries

if u are a hardcore and pure ultra-light hiker you wont even bring a steripen...you will just drink your own pee and bum everything else you need off other hikers. there i saved you the trouble of over thinking and saved you weight.

Images

Maybe somebody could post the link for the dehydrated water to help lighten his load........

Journal Entries

i am sure there is a solar powered light of some sort that kills bacteria and microbes in water and also will light your way so that you dont have to carry the extra 5.5 gram battery. there just has to be one out there somewhere.

Type CR123 and headlamp into Google. I saw two lights at least.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    if u are a hardcore and pure ultra-light hiker you wont even bring a steripen...you will just drink your own pee and bum everything else you need off other hikers. there i saved you the trouble of over thinking and saved you weight.
    No need to be rude like this he's just working out his gear.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Type CR123 and headlamp into Google. I saw two lights at least.
    Although they may not have been side by side.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Thanks again to some of you for your responses. To the others, I hope you have enjoyed trying to convince someone to hike your hike.

Shep

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    i am sure there is a solar powered light of some sort that kills bacteria and microbes in water and also will light your way so that you dont have to carry the extra 5.5 gram battery. there just has to be one out there somewhere.
    Yeah, Steripen makes one. The Opli model Strawbale uses has a built in light and there is a solar charger available for the battery. But I still think one should have a dedicated light.

High intensity UV LEDs are now available, so it might be possible to use them instead of the High Voltage flourescent light the Steripen uses. Using solid state lights could make it more reliable, but could also require higher current batteries to power. I'd be tempted to try making one using the new LEDs, but there isn't any way I could test it to find out if it really works.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

During my thru the Steripen worked great for three weeks, then I changed batteries (expensive batteries) and it stopped working. I had a friend come out and his stopped working after three days. You can't rely on something unreliable! If you must bring a back-up method of water purification, that's not UL, right? Just bring something less likely to fail, like Aquamira (unless the bottle leaks, that is!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++