WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Virginia Archer's Avatar

Default What Smartphone apps do you use while on the trail?

Just wondering what Smartphone apps do you use on the trail if you have coverage. To see how far till the next stop, next creek, shelter, elevation Gains? I have a few but wondering what ya'll like? I carry a Few Extra Cell phone Batteries (1oz. ea) just for safety or to call home and talk to the kids.

Images

I don't use a smartphone with apps but If I did the weather one would have me addicted. I'm old school still...
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I only turn my phone on long enough to call home and check the weather. For day hikes I like NeoTreksGPS to track distance, but it destroys battery life so I'd never try it for a multi day. Star Walk or similar would be cool to check out the constellations.

AT 2012

I like to use maprika. Great ap for creating your own GPS synced maps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Old School, in a new-fangled way.

The only app I use is "Pages" (for iPhone). Since there is usually no cell service, I write my journal one page per day then copy/paste into Trailjournals.com once I get to town and have a Wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I only use mine for weather info using the weatherbug app or NOAA
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Journal Entries

As I stated in other threads I use ATTrails and TopoUSA, both do not require a cell signal to use and both can be used with location info off so the battery is conserved. If I know I have the battery to spare I will use the compass as the phone is usually easier to access then the magnetic mechanical one & The flashlight app as a easy to get nightlight. I also use Nightsky to ID stars and the like.

If a cell signal is available Maps or Around me to find out what places are nearby and Weatherbug to get the weather and radar.

Journal Entries

Backcountry Navigator is the best offline map app. Google maps on town. Flashlight app. Google sky.
    Skype, email, QuickOffice, text (SMS), Dropbox.

If you're interested in a beta AT Trail guide app send me a private post.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

MyRadarPro, NeoTrekGPS, Flashlight, Tapatalk, Vanguard, CNN, Facebook, Ally.

I used Backcountry Navigator Pro on my last section and imported the AT centerline and shelter gps coordinates from the ATC website. It was a nice luxury to have while "perplexed" a few times in New Hampshire. It was slow to load a few times but otherwise ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
    I used Backcountry Navigator Pro on my last section and imported the AT centerline and shelter gps coordinates from the ATC website. It was a nice luxury to have while "perplexed" a few times in New Hampshire. It was slow to load a few times but otherwise ok.
    How did you import centerline? I guess you just entered the coordinates for the shelters.

You guys are speaking sanskrit. Is a smartphone a satellite phone? If not reception will be tricky. I say just keep a journal using a pen and paper and carry a tiny radio for the weather and keep the phone shut off except for logistics (placating the women back home) and emergencies. Anyone remember paper maps??

I checked the weather occasionally. I updated Facebook from the woods sometimes, just because it was fun, and often I was alone, and it was neat to get some encouragement from friends. I'd usually do this when I knew I was going to town the next day and didn't have to worry about battery life at that point. I also had some kind of location app that I would sometimes look at just to see that I was in the middle of nowhere. I didn't use it for navigation or anything. Just kind of entertaining to see myself as a little dot surrounded by nothing. Mostly no apps at all. I'm pretty old school.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You guys are speaking sanskrit. Is a smartphone a satellite phone? If not reception will be tricky. I say just keep a journal using a pen and paper and carry a tiny radio for the weather and keep the phone shut off except for logistics (placating the women back home) and emergencies. Anyone remember paper maps??
    I use a smartphone...I kow the reception in areas won't be there but with some of these apps your don't need reception to look at the topo's and few other things. And yes I remember Paper maps....Being a Land Nav instructor in the USMC its always fun to play with these types of apps and how easy it is in today's world of High Tech Gadgets to find yourself or off the beaten path areas with just the touch of a few buttons.

Images

Come on man, apps on the trail? Is nothing sacred? Use a map or a guide book dude.
    can't never did

Images

Maps are these big pieces of paper with colors and lines and words on them. They can tell whatever you need to know. You can use them when they get wet AND when it's freezing cold out AND they don't use batteries or a charger. Most camping shops have stacks of them. It makes me wonder what people did before apps, I mean how did The Crazy One make it to Maine?
    can't never did

Images

My favorite app is the off button.

Wow...have times changed! I'm gonna have to say when I'm out hiking anywhere, I'd prefer to leave it at home or turn it on only occassionally to try to make a call home to say I'm alive. Use a map!

I've had a smart phone for years and hiking much much longer. As much as I like the APPS of the smartphone in my day-to-day life, I don't use it on the trail. I enjoy preparing (reading about towns etc) for each hike, reading maps and using my compass. In my "book" using a phone with APPS is a nice-to-have not a have-to-have. Maybe when I am on the trail I'm old fashioned but that's just the way I like it.
    Shocker

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++