WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Quinoa Flakes

Images

Default Quinoa Flakes

514AeftayFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I recently came across this in a health food store. Other quinoa products I have seen must be cooked at a full boil for some time to break down whatever needs to be broken down. But these are flakes, and the directions say to boil for 90 seconds and let sit to thicken.

I do all my trail meals FBC. If I were to add boiling water to a FB of this, would it cook completely if I let it sit a little longer? Looking for an answer before I go out and buy it. I have never tried quinoa and am intersted in learning more about it...
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

I have used the quinoa flakes, they don't taste like regular quinoa. and yes, they will rehydrate with just adding boiling water to the bag. I tend to add them to other meals - smoothies for breakfast, and to add protein to main meals (I don't eat meat)

Images

Thanks for that. Never having actually eaten quinoa that is good to know. I was intending to add it to other meals. I know it is loaded with protein, but is it also a good supply of starch?

May have to try both....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Probably some good starch in there, but quinoa is not a grain. I recently thought about growing some but it doesn't like 90°+ heat. It's a relative of lamb's quarter. I prefer it to rice. I cooks up nicely on the trail for wraps, just boil it on an alky stove until the water's gone. You could pre-cook and dehydrate and it'd be even easier I guess.

Quinoa is a makes a great backpacking dish. You can find a couple of quick cook as well as instant varieties. Minute Rice makes one that is in small 11/2 cup containers just heat and eat. They make several types,multi grain, quiona with rice, brown & mixed rice. I quess you could soak while you hike but that can be a mess. There's another brand can't recall the name but I get it at Price Club, it cooks fast and is pretty good. I like the taste and mostly just add a little butter or garlic salt. Maybe some summer sausage!

Images

Quinoa is good and a great protein source as well. If you sauté it in a little olive oil it has a nutty flavor that is very tasty.

I cook regular quinoa and then dehydrate it. Toss it into a ziplock with a little brown sugar, Nido, toasted almonds and dried cherries. Makes a great breakfast, hot or cold.

++ New Posts ++