WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL Pack questions.

Hey there! This is my first question on WhiteBlaze for my 2013 NOBO! (first thru hike) I've been researching out the wazoo and have come across the Golite Men's Quest 65L. It's got good ratings, its under 4 lbs, and almost has 4000 cubic inches. Maximum Load is 60lbs (I don't plan on carrying 60 lbs btw) Is this a good pack for a thru-hike? There is a lighter pack that carries 50L. Both packs are well priced.

Here's a link:
    http://www.golite.com/Ms-Quest-65L-Pack-P46804.aspx

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!

And apologies if this is in the wrong place...

Images

Get your other gear first and the pack last. That pack is too big and heavy. If you start with a huge pack you will just get enough gear until you stuff it. Look at goosamear gear or moutain laurel designs stuff. My 2 cents.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Get your other gear first and the pack last. That pack is too big and heavy. If you start with a huge pack you will just get enough gear until you stuff it. Look at goosamear gear or moutain laurel designs stuff. My 2 cents.
    Yep, +1 on this. I'll be using a 46L pack that is probably a bit big. I don't mind having a bit of extra volume for the cost of a few ounces though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Good advice. I would also look at the ULA packs. Of the GoLite packs you see on the AT, most are the Jam (35L or 50L). You won't need an expedition sized pack for the AT, it's really just a series of 3-4 day hikes.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Thanks for all the advice!

I agree with jimmyjam, if you get a pack that is big you will definately fill it. Take a look at ULA. Their packs are great and they definately made some good decisions while making them.

I used the Granite Gear Crown 60 and loved it...& I'm hard to please...2Lb, 2Oz.

++ New Posts ++