WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Water from NOC to Siler Bald, plentiful, enjoy your hike Aquone Hostel

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Water looks like it may be our biggest challenge. I have seen that there has been little rain and only a slight chance in the forecast before we arrive. I will eventually call the backcountry office, but as that task took me over an hour yesterday to tweek our reservations, I do not have that kind of time today. Has anyone been up there or heard reports in the past few weeks?
    Latest update in the park is that the water source at Spence Field is currently dry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Latest update in the park is that the water source at Spence Field is currently dry.
    Yea, I read that on the NPS site. We are scheduled to stay at Spence Field early next week. so that is concerning to us.

I am an analytical guy. That information went onto the website on Wednesday morning, and the website is only updated 3-4 days a week. Assuming that the data was 2-3 days old before it was posted, One must consider that there was a fairly steady rain most of Monday and Tuesday. Radar indicated that accumulations up and over the ridge were about 2" (4"+ in Knoxville, <1" in Bryson City).

So the question is how much of a difference did the 2" of rain make and will that be enough for a trickle by the weekend. Not familiar with the area to draw a reasonable conclusion. My maps also show that Eagle Creek originates just a hundred yards below Spence Field shelter. I presume that this stars with the spring. I wonder how far down the trail one would have to go to find flowing water....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

That's why I posted earlier that you just need a filter that can draw water from the smallest of trickles... then you won't go thirst, you have just have to travel farther down the hill side before you find water than normal.

Well, I just looked at the terrain around Spence Field in Google Earth. Looks like worst case senario, you might have to hike a mile down a very steep Eagle Creek trail before you ran into water. So one obvious plan is to stock up on as much water between Siler's and Spence. You'll obviously pass Derrick Knob. One other possibility (stricktly based on looking at the terrain in Google Earth) is that you could check out Jenkins Ridge Trail just before you reach Spence. The lay of the land suggests that about 1000' down Jenkins Ridge Trail (where actually the trail heads up hill) there is a drainage that might have enough moutain above it to have some flow.

Images

There is also a spring not mention in most guidebooks on the other side of Spence Field down Bote Mountain Trail. It is about 0.1-0.2 down the trail and usually has water, although last time I went to use it hogs had been rooting around in it and messed up the pipe.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    There is also a spring not mention in most guidebooks on the other side of Spence Field down Bote Mountain Trail. It is about 0.1-0.2 down the trail and usually has water, although last time I went to use it hogs had been rooting around in it and messed up the pipe.
    Is that spring the source for Anthony creek?

And when was that the hogs had gotten into the pipe? Not sure I would be happy about a site with hogs rooting around too much....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Images

Is that spring the source for Anthony creek?
    I have no idea. It is so small up there I doubt it is "the source" but probably a feeder.
    And when was that the hogs had gotten into the pipe? Not sure I would be happy about a site with hogs rooting around too much....
    That was last summer. We created a new pool in the spring above where the hogs had rooted around and got the pipe flowing again. I've been working too much lately to have any quality time in the park.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I have no idea. It is so small up there I doubt it is "the source" but probably a feeder.

That was last summer. We created a new pool in the spring above where the hogs had rooted around and got the pipe flowing again. I've been working too much lately to have any quality time in the park.
    I understand. Thanks for the info. We are off tomorrow. If I end up heading down there, I will report when I return.

I hiked that section two weeks ago, water at Russell Field was a mud puddle with a couple of pollywogs swimming around, passed that up. Water at Mollies Ridge was a trickle, although clean, took 10 minutes to get a pint out of the end of the pipe.

Images

Default plenty of water

Just finished NOBO Fontana to Clingmans today with stops at camp 113 and each shelter. Water is flowing good at all the shelters since the rain Monday and Tuesday.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

Doing an AT Section from Clingman's south to Fontana (and beyond). What should we expect from this section in late Septmeber? We will be taking a leisurely stroll, with stops at Siler Bald, Spence Field and Campsite 113. Looking for trail conditions, shelter/campsite info, water, and just generally what to expect. I have been to GSMNP dozens of times, but have never stayed in the back country.
    Here's the currrent water conditions:
    Mile 166.1: Fontana Dam Visitors Center: Bathrooms open and showers, snack bar open 9am to 6pm daily May - Oct.

Mile 169.4: Supposed to be a spring. I never found it. I assume it's not dry right now.

Mile 171.1: Birch Spring Gap Campground 113: small puddle of water available that takes a long time to replenish itself.

Mile 175.4: Ekaneetlee Gap piped spring, running very slow. Took 45 minutes to gather 4 liters (photo below).

Mile 176.8: Mollies Ridge Shelter is DRY

Mile 179.6: Russell Field Shelter is DRY

Mile 181.1: stream is wet mud

Mile 182.5: Spence Field Shelter water running ok

Mile 185.0: Water to west after Thunderhead Mountain (status unknown)

Mile 188.8: Derrick Knob Shelter metal piped spring down steep but short hill to W of shelter, running full blast, ice cold

Mile 194.3 Silers Bald Shelter, spring ok

Mile 196.6 Double Spring Gap Shelter: NC spring to E piped spring running beautifully, ice cold, TN spring to W not so good (and on side of the privy so... no thanks)

Mile 198.9: Clingmans dome water still on

I also saw three bears who weren't the least bit afraid. Make sure you're hanging your food. All bear cables at the shelters are in good working condition. I only saw one broken one on the whole trip (At Mollies Ridge). Happy Trails

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++