WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default GSMNP AT Section Clingmans SOBO

Doing an AT Section from Clingman's south to Fontana (and beyond). What should we expect from this section in late Septmeber? We will be taking a leisurely stroll, with stops at Siler Bald, Spence Field and Campsite 113. Looking for trail conditions, shelter/campsite info, water, and just generally what to expect. I have been to GSMNP dozens of times, but have never stayed in the back country.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

you won't be lonely in those shelters, seriously take ear plugs! 113 might not be too crowded. you have looked at the trail profile??

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/gsmnpat.html

Images

I didn't think we would be lonely here. In fact, we got the last 5 slots at Spence Field, and I got the impression that both Silers Bald and 113 were near full. We will be on the trail in 12 days. How is the water looking? I have been following it for about 2 weeks and there does not appear to have been any significant rains lately. I have seen the profile, but how rugged is the trail? I have done sections of the Pinhoti that were "flat" but so rick struwn that every step was a risk of a twisted ankle; I don't think the AT on the ridge along here is like that, is it? And what is the bear situation. Park indicates activity at shelters around those where we will be plus at campsite 113. Are there bear lines set up at Campsite 113?

I am no novice to hikiing, but the Smokys are reputed to be rugged. Just trying to figure out what to expect.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Images

Yep I will . be snoring my way NOBO starting this weekend

Images

There is a rough section in there. Between Derrick Knob and Thunderhead. Other than that it is a pretty nice walk.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    There is a rough section in there. Between Derrick Knob and Thunderhead. Other than that it is a pretty nice walk.
    How rough?

It's a 1000ft up hill climb within a 3.5 mile section. I hiked this section NOBO the last week of September last year. It rained every night but didn't rain much during the daytime. I normally wore shorts and a T-shirt and added a rain jacket if it was cool or too damp. Perfect time of year to hike this area. You can call the back country phone number to find out the water supply at the shelters.

Journal Entries
    Images

it's not a rough hike + you're going the best direction since you're concerned about the trail, sobo is easier. The section Sgt Rock is talking about will take an hour or 2 to go through, just take your time & take as many breaks as you needs. Yes there are bear cables at #113. As far as current bear activity call the ranger station for upto date info. I didn;t see any when I hiked through there but tons of scat when approaching Spence Field. Have a Great Hike!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pretty much every campsite in the Smokies has the bear cables... they seems to be one of the key components of the Park Services' plan of keep bears and people seperated.

Based on my recent experience, I would say the odds are likely that you will spot a bear, but the odds are very low you'll have any problem. Years ago, bear population was around 400 and I hardly ever saw any bears. But now the population is something like 1500. Out of 5 hikes this year, I've seen bear during 4 of them. Usually, within 3 seconds of me spotting the bear, the bear spotted me an ran off. There was a bear that actually approached us as we ate lunch at one of the shelters along the AT... but when he started getting too close, it only took one shout to scare him off.

Images

Thanks everyone for the info.

I am not worried about bears, just want to make sure I am prepared to follow good sound proceedures. Nor am I too concerned about the "roughness" of the trail. There is one section of the Pinhoti with a 1000' gain in under a mile, and I have done other trails in the Smokies like the Low Gap, Alum Bluff and Chimney Tops. I don't expect a cakewalk, but I will be ok. I am however, more concerned about a couple of my hiking partners, who struggled a little on our last warm up hike. I have my pack weight (loaded) to just below 20 lbs, but they are just over 30 (I feel I have made progress here, they started at about 45).

We have had 3 prep hikes over the past month, and really had the opportunity to shake down our gear. Though I have had my gear in order, the others have replaced 80%+ of their gear from before these hikes, and it has worked out well for them. Overall, I am not too concerned, but our day 2 will be 11.8 from Silers Bald to Spence Field, so for my friends sake, I am cautiously concerned about what Sgt Rock is talking about. Overall it is 1100' gain over 2.3 miles, but looking in greater detail, the whole gain is over two shorter parts of this, first up Briar Knob (0.6 miles, +650') and then Thunderhead (0.6 miles, +550').

Water looks like it may be our biggest challenge. I have seen that there has been little rain and only a slight chance in the forecast before we arrive. I will eventually call the backcountry office, but as that task took me over an hour yesterday to tweek our reservations, I do not have that kind of time today. Has anyone been up there or heard reports in the past few weeks?

Journal Entries

Will be hiking that section starting the 20th of Sep. I, too, am concerned about water.

Journal Entries

There is bear activity in most of the shelters along the way, especially at the tent site. But nothing we can't handle. I carry bear spray just to be safe, but don't plan to use it.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

Gang, I'm leaving in 3 hours to hike this section NOBO over the next few days. When I get back I'll post a detailed water report for everyone. Happy trails!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Gang, I'm leaving in 3 hours to hike this section NOBO over the next few days. When I get back I'll post a detailed water report for everyone. Happy trails!
    Prada, Good Luck and have a fantastic time! Where exactly are you going and staying? I look forward to your response and report afterward. Thanks for the head's up.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Prada, Good Luck and have a fantastic time! Where exactly are you going and staying? I look forward to your response and report afterward. Thanks for the head's up.
    I'm hiking Fontana to Newfound Gap over 4 days. 10-11 miles per day average. ITCHING to get back on the trail. Got a 9 hour drive ahead of me

Images

Be safe driving and have a great time!

I am itching to get started, too. And I don't want to wait 11 more days to hit the trail. At least I am camping again this weekend.

I did this section south-to-north last fall and passed though there again this spring, headed back in a few weeks to do it again in the other direction. I don't recall anything I'd call really tough except the uphill stretch prior to Clingman but you'll be going in the other direction, should be mostly coasting down hill...enjoy your hike. PS...the snoring was unbelieveable last fall...take ear plugs.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Water looks like it may be our biggest challenge. I have seen that there has been little rain and only a slight chance in the forecast before we arrive. I will eventually call the backcountry office, but as that task took me over an hour yesterday to tweek our reservations, I do not have that kind of time today. Has anyone been up there or heard reports in the past few weeks?
    As long as you have a filter that can pull water out of small trickles, I don't think you're going to have a problem with water. There currently isn't any water shortage warnings on the GSMNP web site. A quick look at weather history shows that Mt LeConte has gotten over 2" of rain in the last two weeks, and the current weather outlook shows good chances of rain for 5 days starting this weekend. No day long down pours, but likely the half-inch here half-inch there sort of thing that should keep the water sources wet.

Worst case, you might have to hike a short distance to find the water. I know the last time I hiked to #113, there had been some water warnings issued. The pipe at #113 was dry, but all I had to do was follow the drainage about 100' down hill (didn't even really leave camp) and found plenty of water flowing.

Journal Entries

We just finished fontana-davenport a couple days ago. Trail is good condition. Water is flowing, surprisingly slowly evhad en right after the heavy rains a week + ago though. We found reliable water at shelters, not so reliable sources on the trail itself. Sometimes had to dip it out of pool .

Agree that the 3 mile section between thunderhead and Derricks is likely the roughest. Did that as part of an 18 mile day from mollies to Silers, and was pretty whupped.

My experience late fall 2012 was dry from Birches Campsite to Silers when we did a training hike for spring thru but it was very wet and no problems with water sources in the spring...we used Gregory's ridge trail which is quite a distance off of the AT to retrieve water but we enjoyed GREGORYS bald on our return trip back to fontana after out and back to Clingmans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++