WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much drama!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Agree - that's included in what I meant when I referred to "free speech."
    Gotcha I think I just wanted to get that off my chest
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCLocke View Post
    I am new here. I am not a Hiker. Trying to do more because of boy scouts, so what I learn may have to be used to help/protect someone's son.

I came here to learn. I spent a lot of time reading before I ever posted. Together you have compiled a ton of information, most of it being very useful. I am grateful to those of you who share your knowledge and have answered my questions.

YES, the bickering gets old. On this and any other forum. Nothing new or uncommon. I choose not to read it or participate in it.

I joined three forums to learn about backpacking, but THIS ONE, is the one I keep going to for information. You have built a GREAT place, with some GREAT people . . . .You Should Be Proud !

RESPECT, every member, and every opinion. Everything else will take care of it's self . . . .
    +++++11111111

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    And some of them quit WB simply because they wanted to be vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. Most of those are on another site that allows them to say anything they wish but most rarely have anything of value to say. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Agree - that's included in what I meant when I referred to "free speech."

Vulgarities may be "free speech" but with freedom comes responsibility. It brings the discussion down (and society in general) to drop the f-bomb every other word as well as other vulgarities. You actually have to think before you use your fingers to type a conversation, so those people are actually doing so on purpose. It adds nothing to the subject being discussed.

Heavy moderation (if true - I haven't seen it) would be one reason to actually PAY to use WhiteBlaze. Once the nasty talk starts, I pretty much shut off the person talking.

Good for you, Rasty, to start this.

And yes, I DO use those words on occasion. Just not in a discussion on-line or face to face with anyone.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

its just talking

Images

And some of them quit WB simply because they wanted to be vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. Most of those are on another site that allows them to say anything they wish but most rarely have anything of value to say. Just my opinion.
    +1

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Hey I live in a country where vulgarity is an art form!

But I always taught my kids, "you have to be able to turn it on and off".
    I made it clear that I didn't care how they spoke with their peers, but they were mega busted if something slipped out in front of a grandparent.

I firmly believe that manners and etiquette are the lubrication that eases friction between people.
    In these days of road rage, cyber bullying and people going "postal" I find it refreshing to have some measure of civility enforced.
    This doesn't mean I'm a prude, I assure I can and do drop f bombs and more all the time.

But as the earlier post I highlighted pointed out, this is a FANTASTIC site and resource for AT hikers.
    Top marks to Rasty for starting this thread as flippant cynicism can ruin a newbies experience on the site.
    Humour and sarcasm have their place and it's not in mainstream threads.
    If the 1001st query on what is the "best" hiking tent comes up for example, and you are sick to death of that query, ignore it.
    Eventually someone with the patience of a Water Rat will point them towards an old thread that gives good info.

I am on an at mailing list that sends me emails when people post and I think some of the "old timers" you speak of may be on it. I rarely say anything in that but read and occasionally learn. On a site like this, people will always come and go. People change (slowly).
    15 years ago I had no involvement in hiking and my leisure thoughts revolved around golf. Perversely when most people my age were turning to golf I moved away.
    The me of 15 years ago would never have believed that I could go to Georgia in the spring for anything other than the Masters.

Images

hiking is just golf with out the aggravation.

I'm a chef and we are not know for civil language. That changed one day for me while working at a restaurant with a kitchen that was open to the dining room and one of the cooks put up a chart to track and grade my curse words. The A-word was worth 1, the S-word 2, all the way up to a 6 for the mother of all curse words. Luckily I did not get any 6's but my score after one hour was well over 200.

Images

Rasty, you never worked in that green chow hall up the coast?! Very colorful.

Oz, I like the 'Lubrication' analogy! and you have something more toxic than an F-bomb! It must be radioactive

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post

Oz, I like the 'Lubrication' analogy! and you have something more toxic than an F-bomb! It must be radioactive
    Not sure what that is Coach but I now know what you guys mean when you talk about being "monitored".
    Just got my first rap on the knuckles from a moderator...

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Rasty, you never worked in that green chow hall up the coast?! Very colorful.

I almost took a job as the Chef for the officers club about 12 years ago.

The word I'm thinking of can be heard by your mom no matter how far away she is!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I'm a chef and we are not know for civil language. That changed one day for me while working at a restaurant with a kitchen that was open to the dining room and one of the cooks put up a chart to track and grade my curse words. The A-word was worth 1, the S-word 2, all the way up to a 6 for the mother of all curse words. Luckily I did not get any 6's but my score after one hour was well over 200.
    curb your enthusiasm made an episode like that...very funny

One of the reasons that this forum still exists after all these years is because of the cat fights that break out every day. This drama is what keeps bringing people back to Whiteblaze. It keeps this webpage from being like the one on Trail Journals. It's like Howard Stern, we get a much better viewership beacuse people want to see what goning to happen next. If it gets too dull here someone will toss a hand grenade question. Should we ban tarp tents? Is the boy scouts a hate group? Is the AMC owned by the Republicans? You will have 300 responses the first day. The drama is good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    One of the reasons that this forum still exists after all these years is because of the cat fights that break out every day. This drama is what keeps bringing people back to Whiteblaze. It keeps this webpage from being like the one on Trail Journals. It's like Howard Stern, we get a much better viewership beacuse people want to see what goning to happen next. If it gets too dull here someone will toss a hand grenade question. Should we ban tarp tents? Is the boy scouts a hate group? Is the AMC owned by the Republicans? You will have 300 responses the first day. The drama is good.
    No, maybe, probably................

Images

The real reason this site is so popular is because of the bananas....

I think its funny when "they" (those on that other site) say that they are "real hikers" and "know more than anyone else'. And then demonstrate their "free speech" by cussing. Quite pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    A lot of members have left (or are rarely on anymore) for this very reason.

HikerMom: I don't always agree with you, but there were times when I felt that you were really ganged up on. Your feelings were hurt and I could understand that. Some of the comments directed at you were just rude and totally uncalled for.

And it isn't only the non-hikers who are habitual offenders. I can think of a few who hike a lot who are the worst offenders. But I suspect that they are BORED. They know most of the skills and so when new hikers venture onto the site for info, WHAM, they have a feeding frenzy at their expense. Very sad. I will probably always stand up for what I believe in, but I will not to tone it down as well.

Thanks SB for mentioning me. Yes, I have been deeply hurt on here. I don't think I have fully recovered. As a result, I find myself snapping and defending more than I normally would....but that is NOT an excuse for bad behavior, on my part. I own it.

" But I suspect that they are BORED. They know most of the skills and so when new hikers venture onto the site for info, WHAM, they have a feeding frenzy at their expense. Very sad." Plus 1, on this statement SB. I agree with you so much!! "They have a feeding frenzy at their expense"? Heck yeah!!!!

The "word picture" would be a piece of "fresh meat" thrown in the water with a bunch of sharks. The same sharks come in for a "bite". In fact, I think I saw someone on here even use that very word "bite", to describe their own behavior. I wonder how many "sharks" would feel differently about their own behavior if they had a turn at being the "fresh meat." In their minds they think people deserve it... deserve it? Everyone that comes here should be treated with respect all the time.

If someone is clearly acting like a jerk, I don't think the solution is 2 use that person as entertainment, either. Bored much? The person needs to be reported & shut down. Simple. It got really tiring reading the same old jokes over and over when clearly there are some major issues going on. Got empathy/ compassion much? New members would have no idea what was going on... I know I didn't. Ahhhhh.... Look, I'm starting to rant!!

In the end, I think SB knows me/figured me out the best. SB said something like this... HikerMom would hike with DS when no one else would. I knew, when I read that, SB really gets me. I was a lil taken back, at first, but then I thought - I would hike with anyone on here. True dat!!! I think I could find something good in everyone on here. I know I could. I might not have much in common with some but hiking with someone doesn't mean you have to hang out with them for the rest of your life. Just a short brief time to enjoy a common interest. It may only be hiking together for 5 minutes but it would happen, right? Luv you guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    .... And then demonstrate their "free speech" by cussing. Quite pathetic.
    cussing and flaming.

My candidate for the most common expression in internet discussion (not limited to WB) is "your a moron" which says as much about grammatical skills or lack thereof as it does about civility and respect.

Just curious, what is the other site?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Most of the oldtimers you are talking about were banned. I was banned, but, somehow got let back in. I have to be on my best behavior or I get banned for life.
    Yeah but you could always come back with another name. something like Irish Bastard or something like that

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++