WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

What part of the Ga. AT does it compare to.

I’ve been wanting to close the loop and hike from Wolfpen to the BMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I'm planning that exact hike next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I'm planning that exact hike next month.

Keep me posted.

Hoping to do the GA Loop next week. Wish me luck!

Hoping to hike the loop next month, starting the 10-11th. will be driving up from FLA on the ninth. Any updated info, water sources, best parking area for 6-7 days, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Best guess on weather conditions for that time of year as well.

Cheers,

B_C

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    What part of the Ga. AT does it compare to.
    The best description I've seen compared it to walking over Sassafras and then Justus Mountain. Then back. Then releaet 6 times.

One DRT source that is very detailed exists here on WB thx to folks like DWM.

It's a roller coaster. The GA Loop is a nice leg stretcher. The Loop isn't extremely tough or IMHO not as tough as it's rep but still a good test of one's legs and and cardio. Everyone seems to yak about the water. It's not all that big a deal either even in dry times. Go light, put in the time actually on the move, and the Loop is easier. In cooler fall times but not icy winter weather easier still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Y'know, after all this time you think I could get it right. Some corrections...

Section 1 - Blood Mtn Trailhead to Wolfpen Gap (GA-180 intersetion). 2.5 miles. The trail is easy to follow and well marked. From Blood it follows the old route of the AT to near Slaughter Gap, then cuts north, joins the Coosa Backcountry Trail and regains the ridge. It follows the ridge to Wolfpen Gap. WATER - About 1 mile past the Blood Mtn trailhead is a small creek the trail crosses with stepping stones. At Wolfpen Gap water is south on the road, right at a bend in the road. CAMPSITES - At Wolfpen Gap, down a closed road immediately south of the Trail, east side of road: Flat campsites are on another overgrown logging road above a stream.

Section 2 - Wolfpen Gap to Mulky Gap, about 8 miles.
    Extensive trail relo around Wildcat Mtn, the trail sidehills around Wildcat, climbs Coosa Bald then after Whiteoak Stomp the trail is mostly sidehill along the ridge until it turns north at Bryant Gap. WATER - Whiteoak Stomp, Mulky Gap. CAMPSITES on east side of Coosa (dry), just west of Coosa summit (dry), several campsites at various gaps between Whiteoak Stomp and Bryant Gaps (dry) and Mulky Gap.

Heads up! Once the trail separates from the Coosa the trail will often follow old logging roads then cut away from them and rejoin another old road. The cutoffs are blazed but your attention is required. The Trail is not worn and becomes a soft forest path. This may be the least-used portion of the trail. I can't emphasize this enough: Stay alert! Old logging roads and even game trails resemble the DRT along this section. Watch for blazes and check your map often.

Water location at Whiteoak is marked. It's across the road and downhill 150 yards. Water at Mulky is down a gated road, a tree at the gate is marked with a blue "W" sign. Water and campsites at Mulky are about 250 yards down the road, west side of road. Trees in the area have been bulldozed down, so lots of firewood (!!!). Nice campsite between spring and road on old logging road.

Mulky Gap to GA-60 - about 11 miles. WATER - Mulky (described above), Sarvis Gap, Licklog Gap. CAMPSITES - Fish Gap (dry), Sarvis Gap, Rhodes Mtn summit (dry), Licklog Gap, Wallalah Gap (dry), just before GA-60 (creek not recommended as water source).

Easy trail to follow, difficult footpath to walk. Lots of ups and downs, the trail mostly stays on the ridgeline and hits most of the peaks along this section, with one nice break as it avoids Fish Knob and skirts around a pretty hardwood cove leading into Fish Gap. Trail connects with Benton MacKay downhill from Rhodes Summit. Springs at Sarvis and Licklog Gaps are marked. Creek immediately before GA-60 is downstream from livestock. Small store about 1/4 mile east on GA-60 has resupply items, drinks, and prepared food but no beer. :-(

GA-60 to Long Creek Falls - about 11.5 miles. WATER - stream south side of Taccoa footbridge, Byson Gap, stream 1/4 mile south of large wildlife clearing near mile 9. CAMPSITES - Taccoa footbridge, Bryson Gap, several along stream mentioned above, large campsites near Long Creek Falls.

Easy to follow footpath, the only major climbs are from GA-60 to the ridge (very gradual) from the river back to the ridge and a few short climbs along ridge leading Long Creek.

But remember: Beware of the most dangerous part of the DRT:

THE SIGN EATING TREES!
    [/QUOTE]

I'm planning on hiking the entire DRT next month as part of a longer hike of the AT, weather permitting. This still the best guide out there? It's been the most I can find.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

It is still the best I've ever seen, and I have a personal interest in the DRT, so I'm always on the lookout for any info on it.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

DRT Update: Want to do the "fun" version of the DRT between Fish Gap and the Benton Mac Trail? Better hurry.

There's a crew out there right now relocating the trail down, following closer to countour lines rather than the ridge. I walked the portion they've completed between Fish and Sarvis Gap. It's nice, smooth and probably doesn't rise more than 40 feet up and down the whole way. When complete the DRT will be a completely different trail. On that portion, I mean, but it's still the portion that has given the DRT it's reputation. Mulky Gap to Fish Gap will still be the original tread with three sharp climbs.

The original path is still open but will be blocked off in the next few weeks.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    DRT Update: Want to do the "fun" version of the DRT between Fish Gap and the Benton Mac Trail? Better hurry.

There's a crew out there right now relocating the trail down, following closer to countour lines rather than the ridge. I walked the portion they've completed between Fish and Sarvis Gap. It's nice, smooth and probably doesn't rise more than 40 feet up and down the whole way. When complete the DRT will be a completely different trail. On that portion, I mean, but it's still the portion that has given the DRT it's reputation. Mulky Gap to Fish Gap will still be the original tread with three sharp climbs.

The original path is still open but will be blocked off in the next few weeks.
    I was out there a couple weeks ago and talked a bit with the contractors doing the re-routes. Three re-routes total. Cool that we were one of the last!
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Any recent news on the Duncan Ridge Trail? I am considering a DRT thru in the next couple weeks.

I haven't heard any updates on reroute. GATC just cleared numerous blowdowns between the AT and Wolfpen Gap, so trail should be fairly open. Maybe a couple small ones around Bryant Gap. I'm waiting for the weather to clear to check that out. The road to Fish Gap is closed, so don't count on that as a bailout point. Water should be less of an issue than normal, but there are still a limited number of points to get water.

If you encounter any issues with the trail, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++