WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

DwM,
    Thanks for all your work - locating water (or at least the signs) will be easier. Plan on a Fall hike there. Please post when you update the trail guide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    We started this treck off in grand fashion. Two, me and a buddy of mine left Springer Sunday morning and bushwhacked over to the AT. Only it was the Benton Mac.
    Did you happen to check out the blue blaze trail about 1.75 mi down the BMT from Springer? Nice overlook facing NE.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop rat View Post
    DwM,
    Thanks for all your work - locating water (or at least the signs) will be easier. Plan on a Fall hike there. Please post when you update the trail guide.
    Take long pants. Between Coosa & the Benton Mac intersection there are lots of brambles. Not only leaning over the trail but also growing IN the trail. The Benton Mac & Coosa Backcountry portions are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Did you happen to check out the blue blaze trail about 1.75 mi down the BMT from Springer? Nice overlook facing NE.
    We saw it but didn't walk it.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

DWM, how was that section which was ransacked by wild boars?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    The sidehill portion that had been rooted out by wild hogs last year had settled and firmed up.
    This answer the question?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    It was firm but really narrow - the trail is only about a foot wide through that portion.

This section is immediately before Bryant Gap going counter-clockwise.

Cool! I just tried this - Go to Google, switch to maps and type in "Bryant Gap, Georgia". It came up in 'terrain' mode for me.

Just west of Buckeye Gap the trail turns due north and follows that side ridge over two hills then sidehills south back to Bryant Gap. It then goes due west over a ridge, one end is called Buck Knob the other end West Wildcat Knob. It's really the same mountain. Mulky Gap is northwest of W Wildcat. Water, and where I camped, is down the road called "Old Mulky Gap Rd", though no roadsigns like that are on the ground.

Images

I just hiked from Three forks to Hwy 60 on an overnight.As of yesterday,the Bryson gap spring is just a seep,almost.The water source just before Hwy 60 was nowhere to be found..all dried up.So I just walked back to the river on Tuesday evening.

To recapNorth bound)last water source is the streams/heath thickets before the cleared Mtn. top until spring right before the Toccoa River.

As others mentioned,the trail is nice and soft compared to the AT.I didn't see one person after I left the AT.

Patrick

Images

Weird...I can't edit that last post.
    Anyways,I forgot to mention that the clearing on top of the first ascent from 3 three forks look weird with out getting a mow for awhile.

Images

I tried to download new photos of the DRT but had problems, mostly because file sizes are too big. I'll download them to another site and post links later. For now, let's try the 1 Page DRT Trailguide: Counterclockwise.

Section 1 - Blood Mtn Trailhead to Wildcat Gap. 2.5 miles
    Trail is easy to follow and well marked. From Blood it follows the old route of the AT to near Slaughter Gap, then cuts north, joins the Coosa Backcountry Trail and regains the ridge. It follows the ridge to Wildcat. WATER - About 1 mile past the Blood Mtn trailhead is a small creek the trail crosses with stepping stones. At Wildcat Gap water is south on the road. CAMPSITES - down a closed road immediately south of the Trail, east side of road: Flat campsites on overgrown logging road above a stream.

Section 2 - Wildcat Gap to Mulky Gap, about 8 miles.
    Extensive trail relo around Wildcat Mtn. WATER - Whiteoak Stomp, Mulky Gap. CAMPSITES on east side of Coosa (dry), just west of Coosa summit (dry), several campsites at various gaps between Whiteoak Stomp and Bryant Gaps (dry) and Mulky Gap.

Heads up! Once the trail separates from the Coosa the trail will often follow old logging roads then cut away from them and rejoin another old road. The cutoffs are blazed but your attention is required. The Trail is not worn and becomes a soft forest path. This may be the least-used portion of the trail. I can't emphasize this enough: Stay alert! Old logging roads and even game trails resemble the DRT along this section. Watch for blazes and check your map often.

Water location at Whiteoak is marked. It's across the road and downhill. Water at Mulky is down a gated road, a tree at the gate is marked with a blue "W" sign. Water and campsites at Mulky are about 250 yards down the road, west side of road. Trees in the area have been bulldozed down, so lots of firewood (!!!). Nice campsite between spring and road on old logging road.

Mulky Gap to GA-60 - about 11 miles. WATER - Mulky (described above), Sarvis Gap, Licklog Gap. CAMPSITES - Fish Gap (drY), Sarvis Gap, Rhodes Mtn summit (dry), Licklog Gap, Wallalah Gap (dry), just before GA-60 (creek not recommended as water source).

Easy trail to follow, difficult footpath to walk. Lots of climbing. Trail connects with Benton MacKay downhill from Rhodes Summit. Springs at Sarvis and Licklog Gaps are marked. Creek immediately before GA-60 is downstream from livestock. Small store about 1/4 mile east on GA-60 has resupply items, drinks, and prepared food but no beer. :-(

GA-60 to Long Creek Falls - about 11.5 miles. WATER - stream south side of Taccoa footbridge, Byson Gap, stream 1/4 mile south of large wildlife clearing near mile 9. CAMPSITES - Taccoa footbridge, Bryson Gap, several along stream mentioned above, large campsites near Long Creek Falls.

Easy to follow footpath, the only major climb is from river to ridge, a few short climbs along ridge leading Long Creek.

Images

. . . Heads up! Once the trail separates from the Coosa the trail will often follow old logging roads then cut away from them and rejoin another old road. The cutoffs are blazed but your attention is required. . .
    Do you mean that one should have a map AND a clue?

That's totally wrong.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Do you mean that one should have a map AND a clue? That's totally wrong.
    You figured out my trick - if someone looks at their map they have to slow down and may even look around where they are standing. There's then a chance they may remember to look for blazes. The maps show some funny topography or, as I call it, "comic relief".

Images

One more time - with pictures! Rather boring pictures, but still....

Section 1 - Blood Mtn Trailhead to Wildcat Gap. 2.5 miles
    Trail is easy to follow and well marked. From Blood it follows the old route of the AT to near Slaughter Gap, then cuts north, joins the Coosa Backcountry Trail and regains the ridge. It follows the ridge to Wildcat. WATER - About 1 mile past the Blood Mtn trailhead is a small creek the trail crosses with stepping stones. At Wildcat Gap water is south on the road. CAMPSITES - down a closed road immediately south of the Trail, east side of road: Flat campsites are on another overgrown logging road above a stream.

Section 2 - Wildcat Gap to Mulky Gap, about 8 miles.
    Extensive trail relo around Wildcat Mtn. WATER - Whiteoak Stomp, Mulky Gap. CAMPSITES on east side of Coosa (dry), just west of Coosa summit (dry), several campsites at various gaps between Whiteoak Stomp and Bryant Gaps (dry) and Mulky Gap.

Heads up! Once the trail separates from the Coosa the trail will often follow old logging roads then cut away from them and rejoin another old road. The cutoffs are blazed but your attention is required. The Trail is not worn and becomes a soft forest path. This may be the least-used portion of the trail. I can't emphasize this enough: Stay alert! Old logging roads and even game trails resemble the DRT along this section. Watch for blazes and check your map often.

Water location at Whiteoak is marked. It's across the road and downhill. Water at Mulky is down a gated road, a tree at the gate is marked with a blue "W" sign. Water and campsites at Mulky are about 250 yards down the road, west side of road. Trees in the area have been bulldozed down, so lots of firewood (!!!). Nice campsite between spring and road on old logging road.

Mulky Gap to GA-60 - about 11 miles. WATER - Mulky (described above), Sarvis Gap, Licklog Gap. CAMPSITES - Fish Gap (dry), Sarvis Gap, Rhodes Mtn summit (dry), Licklog Gap, Wallalah Gap (dry), just before GA-60 (creek not recommended as water source).

Easy trail to follow, difficult footpath to walk. Lots of climbing. Trail connects with Benton MacKay downhill from Rhodes Summit. Springs at Sarvis and Licklog Gaps are marked. Creek immediately before GA-60 is downstream from livestock. Small store about 1/4 mile east on GA-60 has resupply items, drinks, and prepared food but no beer. :-(

GA-60 to Long Creek Falls - about 11.5 miles. WATER - stream south side of Taccoa footbridge, Byson Gap, stream 1/4 mile south of large wildlife clearing near mile 9. CAMPSITES - Taccoa footbridge, Bryson Gap, several along stream mentioned above, large campsites near Long Creek Falls.

Easy to follow footpath, the only major climbs are from GA-60 to the ridge (very gradual) from the river back to the ridge and a few short climbs along ridge leading Long Creek.

But remember: Beware of the most dangerous part of the DRT:

THE SIGN EATING TREES!

Default Coosa Bald Views

How are the views from Coosa Bald? If I'm section-hiking the AT in the Blood Mountain area, is it worth the extra effort to hike over to Coosa (and back)?

I realize the answers to this question might be somewhat subjective, but I value the opinions of my hiking brethren.

Thanks,
    Gladiator

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    How are the views from Coosa Bald? If I'm section-hiking the AT in the Blood Mountain area, is it worth the extra effort to hike over to Coosa (and back)?

I realize the answers to this question might be somewhat subjective, but I value the opinions of my hiking brethren.

Thanks,
    Gladiator
    Decent in winter and OK in Summer but you're right, it's subjective.

Blood Mtn. views are better for the most part, but Coosa has it's own brand of charm.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't make the extra effort. But I've seen it many times...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Decent in winter and OK in Summer but you're right, it's subjective.

Blood Mtn. views are better for the most part, but Coosa has it's own brand of charm.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't make the extra effort. But I've seen it many times...
    View from Blood is nicer than Coosa.

Default Elevation Profiles

Hey Guys,

As some of you know... I've been creating tons of elevation profiles recently. Here's one for the Duncan Ridge Trail:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4848379/Duncan-Ridge-Trail

It's interesting to see how different the BMT section is as compared to the other half.

Hope this comes in handy,

-- Mr. Parkay

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Hey Guys,

As some of you know... I've been creating tons of elevation profiles recently. Here's one for the Duncan Ridge Trail:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4848379/Duncan-Ridge-Trail

It's interesting to see how different the BMT section is as compared to the other half.

Hope this comes in handy,

-- Mr. Parkay
    Very, very cool! Could you e-mail me that file? I can't seem to save the scribd.com document.

As of this weekend, the DRT is now completely cleared from Slaughter Gap to the intersection with the BMT. Blowdowns gone, weeds whacked back, new blazes, water sources marked and everything's all spiffy and shined.

Saturday the GATC put together a crew of 21 people that worked the section between Mulky and the BMT intersection. We got'er done.

Sure.. just PM me your email address and I'll email it to you... since I don't think I can send attachments through whiteblaze

Images

This is interesting. How do you obtain & compile the data?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Very, very cool! Could you e-mail me that file? I can't seem to save the scribd.com document.

As of this weekend, the DRT is now completely cleared from Slaughter Gap to the intersection with the BMT. Blowdowns gone, weeds whacked back, new blazes, water sources marked and everything's all spiffy and shined.

Saturday the GATC put together a crew of 21 people that worked the section between Mulky and the BMT intersection. We got'er done.
    Wow. I did part of that section in June and I thought no one else had hiked it in years.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++