WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation converting sleeping bag to a topquilt

I have seen other threads on this but I thought i would show how I do it.

This time I started with a brand new military 0* mummy bag. Insanely heavy,but cheap and warm. And they are made in the USA if that matters.
    sleeping bags 006.jpg
    Then I just use scissors to remove the zipper, draft tube, snaps, and hood.
    sleeping bags 008.jpg
    sleeping bags 013.jpg
    Then turn it inside out and sew around the perimeter
    sleeping bags 020.jpg
    More to come!

These are my tools. A 42 year old Amica household sewing machine. An even older Juki serger, scissors, sharpie,and a good seam ripper. Not pictured here is a good straight edge. I use a cheap level from the hardware store.
    sleeping bags 014.jpg
    After its sewn, i open up a section of seam so i can turn it inside out. I do this on an inside seam down in the foot box were you cant see it, or feel it while sleeping.
    sleeping bags 023.jpg
    After it's turn right side out, I top stitch the seam closed.
    sleeping bags 024.jpg

And your done!
    sleeping bags 028.jpgsleeping bags 027.jpgsleeping bags 026.jpg
    This was originally rated to 0* but I would think that's rather optimistic now. Probably more like 15*. With proper clothing and shelter you might go to zero. The lowest I have slept in one like this was 9* and I was starting to get cold. With better clothes I think single digits are doable.

The grey one has 2 layers of insulation and weighs in at 38 oz.

The cheap "PATROL" sleeping bags are just as easy. They only have one layer of insulation and are originally rated to 30*. The completed green quilt weighs 26oz.
    sleeping bags 002.jpgsleeping bags 001.jpgsleeping bags 004.jpg
    Both quilts have 1.9 oz ripstop that has a reasonable DWR and good wind resistance.

Both of these sleeping bags are readily available cheap on E-bay. I paid $31 shipped for the grey one and it was brand new. The green ones i paid $8 each. they are not always that cheap but usually if you wait for the good deals, they are there.
    I am thinking of making these and trying to sell them. Would anyone be intereted ? Have any questions about what I did?

I don't see where doing that is worth the effort. Your not saving a whole lot of weight by removing the zipper and hood.

This summer I've been using a silk liner with my bag unzipped over me. Then if it gets cold (like it did a few times recently), I'd zip up the bag. Best of both worlds. The liner keeps me from sticking to my pad and helps reduce drafts when using the bag as a quilt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The weight savings is almost a pound and a half on the grey bag .

More importantly, at least for me, is I have never actually zipped up a bag. Since childhood I have always just used them like a blanket. I get claustrophobic. Not bad but it keeps me awake. It was never a big deal until I started sleeping in a hammock. Then the zipper got annoying, and the hood always seemed on the wrong side when i got cold.

So, with the help of White blaze, backpacking lite, hammock forums, etc, I saw what others were doing, but couldn't afford to try an expensive quilt so I tried this. It works, and its cheap. Not SUL, or even UL really, but for a financially challenged hiker it was an easy way to try out a quilt.

weighed and photographed the cut off scraps from this project. better then I thought.
    sleeping bag weight 004.jpg25.26 oz. that's worth it to me.

i might be interested what would we be looking at cost wise on the consumers end : )

nice job...how small does it pack down to...?"x?"

++ New Posts ++