WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Dogs are wonderful companions and can be lifelong friends. I've had a small house dog for almost 4 years now and sometimes my wife and I talk about what it will be like to lose her. As caring dog owners who take care of our companions we mustn't ever forget that others may not have the same opinion of our companions and/or other peoples' K-9 companions and respect their space and be careful not to let our loved companions intrude upon others property or into their personal space. In other words, respect that others world/universe doesn't revolve around our loved companions just as other peoples' world don't revolve around other peoples' kids. Pet owners who can't understand this basic concept are the one's who give pets and their owners bad names and harder times.

I met a beautiful Lab yesterday. I was at Home Depot, and a kind lady (Kelly) stood and talked with me while I sat on the floor and pet her dog. I really needed that, and am struck by the kindness of strangers.... I am reminded of the incredible kindness I recieved from my friends here.

Thank you all, please do read and heed the title of this thread.

Much love,
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

I am so sorry for your loss. I too feel the pain of lossing an older animal. I sit right now watching my oldest dog, simba, and I wonder when will his last moment be. He is 10, which isnt old, but he has really bad knees that effect his walking. I have plans tonrig him up a doggie wheek chair, and a wagon for the days he cant walk just to prolong his happiness of the outdoods. Hes one of those dogs that if they cant be outside...they arent happy. You can see it in his eyes that all he wants to do is be by my side on a good long hike.

I charrish every moment I have with him and take as many photos as possible.

Slowpoke is now 13, and he is blind. Even though he can't go with me on the trails anymore, we go everywhere else together. Even with this decline, he still loves volunteering as a therapy dog at an assisted living facility.

Stroller.jpgWalk1.jpg20150108_141430.jpgPACKER HOWARD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Slowpoke is now 13, and he is blind. Even though he can't go with me on the trails anymore, we go everywhere else together. Even with this decline, he still loves volunteering as a therapy dog at an assisted living facility.

Stroller.jpgWalk1.jpg20150108_141430.jpgPACKER HOWARD.jpg
    That is beautiful, thank you. ��

Favorite quote;
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

It's never easy to lose one, even harder when it's unexpected. We had to let our old man go 3 weeks ago, he was in declining health for a couple of months, but even that can only soften the blow so much.

The pain we go through is the price we pay for being blessed with good dogs.

Favorite quote;

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    This is for all you dog lovers out there who haven't read this. I keep this saved on my computer and look at it from time to time.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So, for me and folks like me it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile, because they "just don't understand."
    This pretty much sums it up for me and my adopted granddog!!

Sunny lived to be 15 very good for a dog.
    This story relates to how I adopted my dog after a divorce and he's really been the best company through all this covid lockk down crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Oops this story.

At 8:50am, Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022, my best friend and constant companion for the past almost 12 years, Chance, was euthanized. Cancer and a neurological issue. I can't say 'never,' but I'm certain that I won't get another dog. I can't go through that anymore and, too, I don't think that I would outlive a puppy or young dog and I've no one to care for them after I'm dead.
    Pretty much all dog owners say this and I'm no different -- he was the greatest dog, my bestest friend, and I'm forever grateful for the years we had.

And yeah, the article link in Outside that Sailing Faith posted is great.Screenshot_20200409-181032_resized.jpgFeb52017.jpg20180810_195848_resized_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    At 8:50am, Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022, my best friend and constant companion for the past almost 12 years, Chance, was euthanized. Cancer and a neurological issue. I can't say 'never,' but I'm certain that I won't get another dog. I can't go through that anymore and, too, I don't think that I would outlive a puppy or young dog and I've no one to care for them after I'm dead.
    Pretty much all dog owners say this and I'm no different -- he was the greatest dog, my bestest friend, and I'm forever grateful for the years we had.

And yeah, the article link in Outside that Sailing Faith posted is great.Screenshot_20200409-181032_resized.jpgFeb52017.jpg20180810_195848_resized_1.jpg
    I am so sorry John. We are truly lucky to share life with these amazing animals.

Favorite quote;

Thanks for sharing John B. I felt the same way after losing a couple dogs and was not going to get another but the universe had different plans I ended up adopting my grandog (my daughter moved and couldn't take him). That was 6 years ago and absolutely no regrets.
    Sailing it has been 10 years now have you gotten another dog?

And he's getting older and is having a bit of a hip problem and can't hike very far anymore

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Since this thread has resurfaced, I may as well say that this sweet girl and constant hiking companion finally crossed the rainbow bridge at just shy of sixteen years old.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/sho...mageuser=26465
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Since this thread has resurfaced, I may as well say that this sweet girl and constant hiking companion finally crossed the rainbow bridge at just shy of sixteen years old.

Awe, all I see is hair and tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

Look at that Stella smile! No doubt she loved being your hiking companion, and vice-versa. It helped me to consider, when I lost my best friends, that they hiked and camped more than most humans do in 70+ years. But I know, saying goodbye is awfully painful. Sending good thoughts for you both.

There's a song by Guns-N-Roses call "I used to love her" .
    All my life I thought it was about an ex wife.
    I just found out not to long ago it's about a dog Axle had .

It was 11 years ago today…. Just wanted to remind everyone to remember to cherish every moment, their lives (and ours) go fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Cherish every moment

This is the second attempt I am making to write this. It is really hard to put this down, but I want to share it here.

I know that most folks wont understand, but since I am posting this in “Dogs on the Appalachian Trail” forum I suspect the odds are better.

I lost my friend of 11 years yesterday, and words can not tell you how that makes me feel. I have been very fortunate to have some great dogs in my life, but Peter really was a great one.

It is not a coincidence that if you look at my last post here, it was to brag about how well behaved he was. He really was amazing, and I never took him for granted.

Some would say I “rescued” him off of the side of a highway when he was 6 weeks old all those years ago… the truth is that it is more accurate to say he rescued me.

He was not afraid of much. It is interesting that as I type this, there is a lightening storm flashing around me… one of his only fears. Knowing it can not scare him now is a comfort… now I am crying again. I want to tell the story….

He rode up to Mississippi with me this weekend to camp at Tishomingo State Park while I had some medical treatments. He loved to hike and camp and was a perfect companion. He had traveled on my small boat to the Bahamas and gone on many adventures… he carried his own pack and was the perfect traveler. People liked him, and even non-dog people commented on how well behaved he was. My general policy was that if I could not take him, I did not want to go. It was a policy that served me well and my only regrets are where I disregarded it.

We drove back and he was (as usual) content to sleep and look out the window. We got home in the evening and although we had been on the road all day we went for our normal 6.5 mile walk. He gets lots of time off leash on the walk, and chased rabbits as is his custom. We got home, and he finished off the bottom of a carton of cottage cheese for me (the last bite of sandwich, or whatever I was eating ALWAYS belonged to him).

We settled in for the night, and I slept soundly with him on watch as always. Yesterday morning though, he did not eat his breakfast and I noticed his stomach was swollen. I sensed something was wrong so we went to the vet.

Apparently he had a tumor that had been growing on his liver, and started to bleed. The vet did an x-ray, then and ultrasound and finally exploratory surgery to learn the liver was so full of blood there was no possible way to save my best friend.

He allowed my unusual request to come into the operating room and hold Peter’s head as they administered the medication to stop his heart so I could tell him one more time just what a good boy he was and how thankful I was to have had him in my life.

He was 11, and I really thought we had much more time. The vet had said less then a month earlier that he was in terrific shape. We walk almost 200 miles a month, and he has had excellent care and feeding sine he was a pup.

No matter if you are a man or a pup, life is short.

Hike more, Sail more, Live more, Love more, Laugh more... do not let it pass un-noticed or taken for granted... .

Please cherish every moment.

Peace and Love,

Craig and Peter Dog.

(Clich here to see more pictures of a truly wonderful dog).

Favorite quote;

I'm so sorry, even after 11 years I know the longing for him is still there. I do love that he's looking back at you in both pictures! I acquired a young lab a month or so ago (he'll be year on Friday), and he's become my hiking partner. He looks back at me like that periodically, and it steals my heart. You've given me another reason to cherish my new buddy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++