WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This is for all you dog lovers out there who haven't read this. I keep this saved on my computer and look at it from time to time.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So, for me and folks like me it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile, because they "just don't understand."

it is never easy to loose that which is so freely given...a dogs love. - One Sock

Nicely and accurately stated One Sock.

...further healing... NOT further ealing...

Well said Special K. With all the negative epithets applied to animals like dogs I feel about dogs similar to the way I feel about plants. I sometimes would rather be with them than some humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    it is never easy to loose that which is so freely given...a dogs love. - One Sock

Nicely and accurately stated One Sock.

...further healing... NOT further ealing...
    Thanks Dogwood, I told my wife about this thread, she too was moved.

Section Hiker

So very sorry, I've loved all my dogs but have 2 rescues and you just know when they are looking into your eyes, it's like they know--yes, you rescued them, and they rescued you. Hold him close in your heart and maybe the hole left there won't be quite so big.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

It was a year ago today that Peter crossed the "rainbow bridge". I wanted to post, to bump this thread again and ask that all who read it to do just as the title asks.... Cherish every moment, they are only with us for a short season....

What really needs to be said though is just how great the folks are here. I appreciate the posts and messages, I have shared this link with other animal lovers who have told me that it was a great comfort to them to read that there are others who feel the same way about these animals we share our lives with.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sailing_Faith; 08-22-2013 at 00:37.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

May your memories of Peter be the finest treasure you store in your heart. They are forever safe there, always ready, waiting for you to lift them out and hold them up in loving remembrance.

"Those we love don’t go away,
    They walk beside us every day,
    Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear."

My best friend Buddy, who died August 13, 2011 after a year long battle with cancer. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him.
    bud3.jpg

PC260019.JPG

I am so very sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful story. I will keep you in my thoughts

Two years later.

Just wrote a note to a friend who lost a dog. I wanted to share this thread with her, and after reading it again I thought it worth another bump....

Thank you all my dear kind friends.

Favorite quote;
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Two years later.

Just wrote a note to a friend who lost a dog. I wanted to share this thread with her, and after reading it again I thought it worth another bump....

Thank you all my dear kind friends.
    If half of the men I've known were as honorable as the dogs I've met then this world would be a much better place.

Fair seas and following winds to you my friend.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Get over. Done, Dog is LOVE. Rid"in through the Clouds...

Journal Entries

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful best friend. I feel for your loss. Be comforted in the knowledge of the great memories that you shared.

Two months ago I had to let my best friend go, his last camping trip was about a month before that. Like they say, you cannot replace them, but there is room to let another into your heart. There's a sweet little girl at my feet right now, teething, playing with her chew toys and occasionally nibbling my toes.

I can't imagine life without dogs.

Anyone who dislikes dogs...scare me!! Can't imagine life or even hiking without my pooch...being 40 yrs old I've been blessed to have had nearly a dozen flea bags....great memories with each...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I share your pain...lost my hiking buddy Gabrielle just 1 week ago...a beautiful border collie/Australian shepherd mix pound puppy from New Mexico who traveled and hiked all over the county with me for 13 years...she had her head tucked up under my chin as she crossed the rainbow bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    I share your pain...lost my hiking buddy Gabrielle just 1 week ago...a beautiful border collie/Australian shepherd mix pound puppy from New Mexico who traveled and hiked all over the county with me for 13 years...she had her head tucked up under my chin as she crossed the rainbow bridge.
    Gabrielle,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. Sounds like she had a full and wonderful life traveling with you and sharing so many adventures.... Thank you.

Favorite quote;

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Gabrielle,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. Sounds like she had a full and wonderful life traveling with you and sharing so many adventures.... Thank you.
    Gabrielle was the dog's name...and she was a great travel buddy...she was in more states than most people.

Found this and thought of this thread;

A Dog's Purpose?
    (according to a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.
    I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
    As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
    The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
    The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.
    He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,
    ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''
    Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.
    Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
    When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
    Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
    Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
    Take naps.
    Stretch before rising.
    Run, romp, and play daily.
    Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
    On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
    On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
    When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
    Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
    Be loyal.
    Never pretend to be something you're not.
    If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
    When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...
    ~ Source: Ultima National Resources, LLC

Favorite quote;

Images

Someone once told me that dogs enter our lives to teach us about love and leave our lives to teach us about loss. And they do teach us so much about both! So sorry for your loss. Glad you had such a great friend in your life

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++