WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default RELIGION vs TRUTH on trail

RELIGION does it belong in Trail Magic? I've experience first hand false trail magic. False trail magic you ask whats that? People and groups who condemn you if you prayer or question the utterance of God. People who stand gap to gap sometimes ten deep...offering candy and cold drinks to the hungry and thirsty. These people are not giving trail magic. But are offering a apple of contempt. To see this as a true Hiker namely someone who does without said magic...is something wickedly in their offerings. "Born again Christians" owning hostels WHERE you must PRAY...or holding hands in a Sprtiual belief. Being told time and again by a hostle owner in Monson Me..."I am a good and faithful Christian". All the while this said hostel owner sent hikers into the rain...while giving a great discount to "Christan Cyclists for Christ". Both on food though they ate all their meals at a local Pastors home. To cancelling the day of which turned to be severe storms...but she felt bad for them. Screw the hikers unless you follow and cower...be ye damned to Hell eternal. Im not one to condemn a person regardless if they have Faith or not...just dont come offering bounty and gifts and slapping me with a Bible. Thats not Christian or any true FAITH...that in and of itself is sickening. Ive paid all who offered trail magic...because I dont accept Religious donations. Would like to ask everyone how you feel about this subject? The worst case for me was in Allan Gap or is it Allen Gap either way...was truly Hell on Earth. Being force fed "Born Again" beliefs over food. Could I had walked away yes...but they never said they were Religious just "free food". To me that is truly sickening preaching in the name of God and the Almighty. Religious CULT'S savoring over said ignorant or lonely hikers..."YELLOW DELI" I mean you. Would like AWOLS future books to warn people if they are requires to prayer let alone sell their souls for a coke.

At least they feed hikers with their sermon. We had to wade through your religious babble without so much as a Fig Newton! Don't blame them if you don't have the balls to walk away. Everyone is free to practice and share their own faith or lack of it.

There is no magic in any of today's trail feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    There is no magic in any of today's trail feeds.
    By the way John, is next year trail feed schedule out yet?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    At least they feed hikers with their sermon. We had to wade through your religious babble without so much as a Fig Newton! Don't blame them if you don't have the balls to walk away. Everyone is free to practice and share their own faith or lack of it.
    +1 For mindless religious babble! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    By the way John, is next year trail feed schedule out yet?
    You a funny guy

As well the A.T is a Government owned area. Therefore any Religous group or ANYONE regardless of Faith...must be insured as well as known to local Rangers. Health Departments where they offer said "trail magic" would be required to cook hotdogs and such at a healthy temp. Its guidelines and such...would not want ANYONE forced off trail because under cooked foods.

This from the guy with the split personality!

Images

I was gonna say...did he get free whiskey at his last Trail Magic? Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!

I agree with much of what you said, though not so much the tone in which it came across to me.

However,

"Thats not Christian or any true FAITH"

What gives you the authority to determine what constitutes another's beliefs? The word "Christian" means so many different things today, most different from my definition.

The only tihng more annoying than a newly born again Christian is a newly minted Atheist. Not saying the OP is one, but he sure sounds like one to me.

Everything has a price, everyone has a choice. If you don't like it, politely refuse it and walk away. No one was shoving anything down your throat. You ate what you wanted, and refused what you wanted. Sounds like there was no room at the Inn. What's the complaint, you didn't like their form of hospitality and didn't like being there anyway.

No such thing as a free lunch. For me it depends on the quality of the food and how hungry I am. I never let on what I think about religon until after the meal. If they end up being really obnoxious, out of the blue, I say something like, "you know the devil loves you too". Know you don't want to go to far with that, they could burn you at the stake.

Images

IB are you off your medication again?!?!?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    IB are you off your medication again?!?!?
    This is gonna be fun to watch! Maddog

Interesting thread .....I saw someone else talking about this very thing- I'm really glad you started this thread. I agree with you completely. A Christian person that ever thought this was a good idea, needs to think again. Wow, just wow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Irish I know what will cure your anger and that is that you need a good baptism. I'll volunteer for this job but don't be surprised if I hold you under a little longer than the others so that you will really repent!

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Irish I know what will cure your anger and that is that you need a good baptism. I'll volunteer for this job but don't be surprised if I hold you under a little longer than the others so that you will really repent!
    Haha... that reminds me of the Shirley Temple movie when she was "baptizing" her friend.. asking him after every dunking if he was "saved" yet.... LOL!

@ Thirsty .. Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    LOL. There went my morning coffee!!! Priceless, TOW. Absolutely Priceless!

I'm pretty sure AWOL tells you if the establishment is religion based or not. Blueberry Patch comes to mind. So it's not like it's a complete shot in the dark.

It's your choice whether or not you want to take up on offers on the side of the trail or if you want to stay at the home of the guy who just opened their door for you. I almost want to say that you are morally indebted to at least listen to them talk while you're eating away on the food they provided. You know, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++