WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Belle Isle

Default Belle Isle

They say the IAT ends at Belle Isle on the Northern end of Newfoundland Island. But how does one get to Belle Isle? It is an uninhabited island. Have those who hiked the full IAT in the past paid for a boat from St. Anthony's in Newfoundland? Not that I expect to get there anytime soon, but am curious about the feasibility.

-Bonsai

Images

Default North American Terminus of IAT

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    They say the IAT ends at Belle Isle on the Northern end of Newfoundland Island. But how does one get to Belle Isle? It is an uninhabited island. Have those who hiked the full IAT in the past paid for a boat from St. Anthony's in Newfoundland? Not that I expect to get there anytime soon, but am curious about the feasibility.

-Bonsai
    I was at the North American terminus of the IAT last month after completing the Long Range Trail. We were told that one of the local fishermen would take us to Belle Isle, but we opted out due to very high winds. There is a fishing village only about a mile from the Cape Raven trail (see picture) where he lives. The sign at the Cape Raven trail says that this is the "Terminus of the IAT". Never took a lobster boat shuttle before, and kind of regretted not doing it. IAT Small.jpg
    GOPR0336.jpgGOPR0333.jpg
    Last edited by Old Hillwalker; 08-20-2012 at 06:40. Reason: speling
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

The other challenge would be arranging for pickup once you've hiked Belle Isle. It doesn't look too big - maybe a couple days hike? Is there even a trail?

++ New Posts ++