WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    The first spot would be off the A-Z after you cross Mt Field brook [your water source]. There is an old snowmobile trail that crosses the A-Z and follow that north (a right) a bit.

When you are on Ethan Pond trail and a bit past the junction for the hut, you can go down the slope to the brook and you will find a bunch of heavily used sites. blah.

My brother-in-law and I had read this description and the reference to snowmobile trails criss-crossing the A-Z trail in the AMC White Mountain guidebook but didn't see any snowmobile trails at all. Perhaps we were tired and just missed it. Perhaps the snowmobile trails are hard to spot in the summer.

We did find the heavily used Ethan Pond trail spots easily though. They were just beyond the 1/4 mile sign and legal spots which made us happy. Mid-week in July it was just the two of us and two thru-hikers which was nice.

I am the brother-in law in question. We were definitely tired, but one of the main problems we had in finding a site was that the Mt. Field brook has about a dozen little branches that cross the trail (at least when we were there in July). So it wasn't clear when to start looking for crossing trails. In any case, we were looking after every crossing brook/stream/trickle. The best prospect for a crossing trail that we saw seemed to be after descending from the Mt. Tom spur, but shortly before one of the earliest brook crossings (traveling E to W).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++