WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Post op advice needed after Hernia repair

yes, reading more about it now. Interesting (and scary) reading. The non-mesh folks are saying the mesh is favored by docs who don't know the more complicated non-mesh operations, or who perform a small number of hernia repairs. The mesh docs say non-mesh involves sewing together tissues that are not naturally joined together, plus are often weak so they may later tear out. FDA says lots of the mesh problems have been with products no longer in use.
    Either way is SCARY!
    I wonder what kind of repair "the Rock" had. I want to wind up more like the Rock than Rand Paul. ?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    My first question is why on earth do you have to go to Canada for this?
    Yeah. I know. And the US has the "best" health care system in the world?

You will have to pay out of pocket at Shouldice. Something like 5K. If you weigh too much they will not work on you. But with congressional health insurance Rand Paul (a physician by training) could have gone anywhere in the US for the surgical repair at little or no cost to him. He wanted the best, though.

I had inguinal hernia repair at Shouldice 25 years ago and highly recommended them. My father and brother also had repairs there. We all recovered quickly and none of us have had issues. My current doctor first heard about Shouldice in medical school and said that while others try to replicate their method that none have achieved the same success rate for non-recurrence. They get you moving again quickly. Only my first meal (lunch) after surgery was in bed. For every meal afterwards I had to walk down the hall, down the stairs, and into the dining room. Group exercises were held twice each day. The grounds are nice for walking around. I believe I was discharged on the third day. They said that if I ever needed the hernia repaired again that they would do it for free.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Default Post op advice needed after Hernia repair

Good to know. I'm reading, tho, that you need to be thin for the Shouldice method. That lets me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    Yeah. I know. And the US has the "best" health care system in the world?

You will have to pay out of pocket at Shouldice. Something like 5K. If you weigh too much they will not work on you. But with congressional health insurance Rand Paul (a physician by training) could have gone anywhere in the US for the surgical repair at little or no cost to him. He wanted the best, though.
    For him, the best. But screw everybody else.

I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh in 1996, and have never had occasion to think about it until hearing about mesh on the news recently. If the surgeon hadn't told me he was using it, I'd have had no idea it was there.

I take this to mean that the operation worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh in 1996, and have never had occasion to think about it until hearing about mesh on the news recently. If the surgeon hadn't told me he was using it, I'd have had no idea it was there.

I take this to mean that the operation worked.
    Great news! Glad you're doing good and I appreciate your response This is the kind of story I'm hoping to get, cause youtube is loaded with nightmares about the mesh. Then there are also nightmares about the non-mesh, where whatever they sew together eventually tears apart... Either way it's scary, but I think most cases likely turn out like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Great news! Glad you're doing good and I appreciate your response This is the kind of story I'm hoping to get, cause youtube is loaded with nightmares about the mesh. Then there are also nightmares about the non-mesh, where whatever they sew together eventually tears apart... Either way it's scary, but I think most cases likely turn out like yours.
    My issue was returning to a physically active job too quickly, just under two weeks. Though I remember it more as fatigue than surgical pain.

Glad I could help, and good luck with your decision.

I had an umbilical hernia repaired without mesh three years ago & was back at my physically demanding job in two weeks. I did less lifting & pulling for about a month. I had a small hernia. It felt huge to me but they said it was small. I requested no mesh because I read about people with auto immune problems from mesh. My surgery was pretty easy; 12 minutes of anesthesia, no pain meds needed after, and one day in bed. I walked two miles on sidewalks the next day and was back to 5-7 miles a day in about a week. I had a perfect looking belly button before surgery but now I have a frownie. I'm the only one who notices or cares about that. I've heard that it takes about one month for your body to clear out every 15 minutes of anesthesia. Post surgical grogginess & not feeling completely like you can last a while.

Images

Had an inguinal hernia repair done in 2012 with mesh. Went home same day after surgery. Took two weeks off work, but probably could have gone back after the first week. Stayed in bed other than bathroom trips first day. First few days was pretty tender getting up and down from bed and chairs, trying not to use muscles in that area. Was up and going stir crazy by the second week. Walked approximately 1 mile each day at week two through week four, noticeable of repair, but not uncomfortable. By week six was back to normal. No problems 7 years later.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-15-2019 at 06:38.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++