WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: REI Warranty

Default REI Warranty

So I've been back and forth on a few packs for a while, and I'm about to finally take the plunge. I have found a few deals where the packs are cheaper on other websites then at a place like REI. I've heard great things about them replacing packs and such. My question is, if my pack wares out after a tru-hike or just general usage do they replace it even after extended periods of time? Or is it only within the first few months that they will take them back?

REI will take anything back at anytime for a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn:1321195
    I bought a Perception Dancer kayak in 1987. I wonder?

I bought a Golite from REI six months ago and have been on the trail a total of about about six weeks since then (4 trips). The shoulder straps are separating a bit from the waist band (design flaw). I am planning to send back and expect a full refund, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    So I've been back and forth on a few packs for a while, and I'm about to finally take the plunge. I have found a few deals where the packs are cheaper on other websites then at a place like REI. I've heard great things about them replacing packs and such. My question is, if my pack wares out after a tru-hike or just general usage do they replace it even after extended periods of time? Or is it only within the first few months that they will take them back?
    They (we, it is a co-op) would probably take it back. Asking them to take back worn out gear is, however, not reasonable. The policy is in place to deal with problems, be they fit, function, or defect. It's not there to give you free gear for life. The cost of doing so comes right out of the pockets of REI's members and other customers.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    ... Asking them to take back worn out gear is, however, not reasonable. The policy is in place to deal with problems, be they fit, function, or defect. It's not there to give you free gear for life. The cost of doing so comes right out of the pockets of REI's members and other customers.
    Good point!

Only if you're a member. Then yes, you can return anything at anytime if you bought it new/on sale. Some REI's have "Gear Attics" where they re-sell the returned stuff, that stuff you can't return, even if you're a member.

I bought a pair of Salomon trail shoes, used them an entire summer, even ran a couple trail marathons in them- by the end of the summer the laces were blowing out. I personally felt the lacing system should have lasted more than a summer, so I took them back and got another pair. This is the only time I have done such a thing with used gear. Every other return was for an item non-functioning properly. The main reason I returned them was because I had friends with similar shoes that lasted years. Had they not been Salomon's I would have bought a cheap pair of laces for fifty cents, since Salomon has the unique lacing system, I opted to have the entire shoe replaced.

I would say this is more of an personal ethical question. What do you consider general wear and tear, and what do you consider a defect that should be taken back. Buying a pack is taking a plunge, but if it doesn't fit and isn't comfortable REI will take it back, if you shop around enough, trying on a variety of packs, loading them to trail weight in the shop, maybe even spend an hour walking around the store browsing with the pack on, you might make the right purchase.

IF you complete a thru-hike on any of the big trails AT/CDT/PCT you got your moneys worth from the pack, don't abuse REI or any other

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Management can make a judgement call, the refund is not required

I would never get rid of my first kayak it's a classic. I would just like to see the face of the sales person when I ask and they look up the purchase. I wonder what is the oldest item ever returned at REI?

Do what's right! I hope you're not planning to buy stuff, wear it out, and then return it.

They (we, it is a co-op) would probably take it back. Asking them to take back worn out gear is, however, not reasonable. The policy is in place to deal with problems, be they fit, function, or defect. It's not there to give you free gear for life. The cost of doing so comes right out of the pockets of REI's members and other customers.
    Everything is sold at MSRP, the manufacturer sets the MSRP
    Every year you get %10 back, gone are the days of variable dividends.
    If the manufacturer sets the price and the board has permenantly set the dividend then the money isn't being lost by the customers directly

Where does the money lost from returns come from? Maybe management bonuses? Some might come from outreach programs as well? It doesnt' raise prices though.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Everything is sold at MSRP, the manufacturer sets the MSRP
    Every year you get %10 back, gone are the days of variable dividends.
    If the manufacturer sets the price and the board has permenantly set the dividend then the money isn't being lost by the customers directly

Where does the money lost from returns come from? Maybe management bonuses? Some might come from outreach programs as well? It doesnt' raise prices though.
    I don't care if REI Management is making obscene amounts of bonuses or if prices never change at all. To return worn out gear after thoroughly using it "because you can" or because there is a loophole is just ethically wrong. I place a higher value on my character than a piece of gear.

Ive spent so much money at REI I dont feel bad returning anything even it is "unethical" by some peoples standards. Im sure its this way for a lot of people. They have that warranty for a reason. REI employees have even told me to return things i normally never would have.

Images

... Asking them to take back worn out gear is, however, not reasonable. The policy is in place to deal with problems, be they fit, function, or defect. It's not there to give you free gear for life. The cost of doing so comes right out of the pockets of REI's members and other customers.
    I agree with Feral Bill.

As far as packs go, I returned a pack just this summer. Had had it for about 3 years with light-to-moderate use. On the first day of sectioning the AT through Maryland this May, on the canal path, all the stitching holding the pack to the waist belt came completely loose. I did the hike with mostly my shoulder straps. Yuck.

REI gave me no problem whatsoever when I took the pack back to them. I've been a customer since 1976 and my '04 AT hike daughter has worked at three REIs. In my opinion, REI has a true "lifetime warranty," unlike so many unscrupulous American businesses.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    Ive spent so much money at REI I dont feel bad returning anything even it is "unethical" by some peoples standards. Im sure its this way for a lot of people. They have that warranty for a reason. REI employees have even told me to return things i normally never would have.
    The warranty is in place because if a product doesn't perform the way it should or hold up as long as it should, REI wants to satisfy it's customers. I don't think it's wrong at all to return items based on that scenario. And while I have spent thousands at REI over the past 20 years this policy should be the same for those who spend $10 at REI.

But for hikers who are hiking 1000 miles in shoes and then returning them (and situations like this) - these cases are what I call unethical. I don't care if salespeople encourage returns like this or not. It's wrong.

There will always be people (rich and poor) who try these scams (and that is exactly what it is) and feel there is nothing wrong with it. I'm opinionated; I'm outspoken. But I wouldn't want to be that type of person for anything. Yet the truth is that nothing posted here is ever going to change someone's mind. You either believe that it's wrong or you justify it in your own mind.

If you want to see something funny, mill around the cash registers at REI...wait for someone to return something under the premise of the warranty. Then watch the cashier check to see if REI ever carried that product, or that product in the color of the item attempting to be returned. The back pedaling from the busted returnee is almost as humorous as their walk of shame out of the store with a pair of 15 year old shoes they bought elsewhere.

Images

I saw a guy return hiking boots worn to the nubs. He said that the teeny bit of rust on a grommet was unacceptable. They looked at him weird, but did give him the return. They asked him what he thought would be a fair return price though, they didn't give him the full price back.

REI & EMS basically rely on the fact that most people are "reasonable"; kind of like those "pay what you can" Panera Bread locations (which make about the same as locations that are not "pay what you can").

To me it's worth paying a little more to them for most stuff because it's like getting a little bit of insurance if something fails prematurely or just doesn't work for me (some places have horrendous return policies).

REI is a great company(co-op). I've had gear drop shipped to me while out hiking, just like a mail drop from home. Local in the states delivery is pretty predictable, international shipments are really risky unless the delivery service and destination of delivery is really dependable/trustworthy.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

So a thru-hiker returning his winter gear so he can buy summer gear is wrong?
    I met a guy last year bragging that he was going to do this.

Stuff like that tells a lot about a person.

I like REI, been a member since the mid seventies.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The last time I attended an REI "Scratch & Dent" sale I it seemed, by the amount of gear returned, that some have to be taking advantage of their generous return policy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++