WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Plain and simple:
    1. The Economy sucks: Recent college grads have a very tough time finding jobs....what is another 4-6 months wait.
    2. If you wait, before you know it you will have responsibilities, a job, possibly a spouse...things that tend not to be conducive for going on a long hiking adventure
    3. You will always have that little "Could a, should a, would a" in the back of your mind if you did not do it...and you will regret not taking the chance once you get ol

less is best with words of wisdom...thank you for the reply! seems like a reasonable amount of money.

Sorry I was trying to reply to one specific post, was not intended for all. It really is amazing how many replies I have received, this is awesome THANK YOU ALL!

Images

Yeah, you will miss being at home while hiking. But, which would you end up missing more? If you truly want to hike, and you feel like you have enough money and gear, then this is the perfect time to hike. If not, then maybe waiting is the best plan. The trail will still be there if hiking is what you want, but now is just not the right time. Only you can make that decision for you.

I had the opportunity to go work in Baja for 3 months this past winter. I felt like I would be gone from my dogs for too long, I would miss friends, etc. Other than that, the timing was perfect. I ended up just taking the leap. Now, I am trying to figure out how to include Baja in my plans for this coming winter. I am also trying to figure out if I have to wait until 2014 to do a thru-hike...

There will always be something you have to give up to pursue other things... The trick is to figuring out what you would regret missing out on.

Images

[QUOTE=Don H;1320979]
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    P R I D E

P - perseverance - decide what you want to accomplish and stick to it - in the rain, in the cold, if you are lonely, if you think you'd rather be drinking in the pub - - you just stick it out.
    R - respect - in this context, respect what you are doing, the trail, the environment, the world, animals, and people - respect the trail - it's good for you and the trail
    I - initiative - take initiative - life will not be served to you on a platter - even if you have all the money in the world - you have to make it
    D - discipline - not to be confused with punishment - this the standard you set for yourself - self control - sort of the accelerator pedal of life - know when to push it and when to back off a touch
    E - enthusiasm - a good attitude - esprit de corps, some would say, trumps all - it is the icing on the cake
    /QUOTE]

Papa D, I like this. Can I copy and share with my Scouts?
    Yes, sorry it took me time to get back - sure, glad you like it.

Images

If the OP is still reading:

I think you should do a one-week hike with a designated destination in mind - - don't stop in any towns carry 6 days food (which is a little more than you'd probably ever need on a thru hike but good for a test hike). Do this on the AT or other long trail. Aim to do 70 miles, which will be 10 miles per day. This is about 75% of the typical thru-hiker pace of 14 m.p.d. but it will probably seem like a whole lot off the couch - - if you feel real out of shape, maybe back off a bit to about a 60 mile week. The point is to see if you can achieve your week's goal and see how you feel about living in the woods, waking up and hiking each day. Do you like it? Or, are you constantly on your cell phone to the outside world wishing the trip would end.

A thru hike, for most would be a lot like this one-week test hike x 25 weeks. If you can't honestly say, that you would love to multiply your "test hike" time about 25 times and can't wait to do it, then don't even bother - pick some other thing to do.

You sir need a better attitude - - I'm 45 and plan to do another thru - hike. Are you in bad health due to circumstances beyond your control? Life isn't some sort of dress rehearsal - this is it dude. 46 is young - - really young - - I know plenty of folks getting it done in high style in their 60s and 70 who would give anything to be 46. If you want to, you can make nearly anything you want for yourself happen with a good positive can-do attitude.
    No sir, I do not need a better attitude. I was simply telling the OP that nobody knows what is going to happen in the future. This might be the only chance that the OP has to do a thru-hike. You can't count on tomorrow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    No sir, I do not need a better attitude. I was simply telling the OP that nobody knows what is going to happen in the future. This might be the only chance that the OP has to do a thru-hike. You can't count on tomorrow.
    Ok - I catch your drift - didn't mean to come down so hard on you but your post was a little depressing and my reply was more on the side of lifting YOUR spirits than the OP's. Cheers to you.

Ok - I catch your drift - didn't mean to come down so hard on you but your post was a little depressing and my reply was more on the side of lifting YOUR spirits than the OP's. Cheers to you.

No problem. I'm good. No thru-hike yet but hike when I can. Maybe one day.

If you need help being motivated, then you should not do this. That doesn't mean you can't go for a great hike of whatever time/distance fits your desires. Also if you want to thru to say you did it instead wanting to thru cause you love hiking the AT don't do it. If you want to thru cause you think you will find something or learn something or some other deep nonsense don't do it. I walked from GA to ME. I met awesome people, I saw amazing things, I learned Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tarts have more calories than the fruit flavors, sometimes conditions sucked, but it was the best vacation I've ever taken. All it is is a long backpacking trip, it has never promised to be anything more.

listen I don't mean to be rude, but I was searching for motivation, not a herd of "naysayers" doing the exact opposite. It baffles me that so many people would log on here just to dump a bunch of negativity and try to dissuade a fellow young nature lover from doing something that they claim has had such a positive effect on their lives.

P.S. (I have backpacked a week by himself before, and have pulled a 20 mile day before)

But thanks again to everyone who has been helpful

Eli, only about 20% of all potential thru hikers complete their hike. While there is the occasional injury, most drop off because they become bored or they find out that the trail is what they expected. If someone needs motivation on day 1 the odds of completion are going to significantly less than the 20% average. This is what people are trying to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    or they find out that the trail is what they expected.

or they find out that the trail is NOT what they expected.

Eli, only about 20% of all potential thru hikers complete their hike. While there is the occasional injury, most drop off because they become bored or they find out that the trail is what they expected. If someone needs motivation on day 1 the odds of completion are going to significantly less than the 20% average. This is what people are trying to tell you.
    Best answer yet IMHO!

So when you were preparing for a thru-hike you were 100% on board, didn't ask anybody's advice, and had no doubts....

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post
    So when you were preparing for a thru-hike you were 100% on board, didn't ask anybody's advice, and had no doubts....
    sounds like going into like that would make your odds of finishing even lower

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post

(1) So when you were preparing for a thru-hike you were 100% on board, (2) didn't ask anybody's advice, and (3) had no doubts....
    (1) Absolutely. Took me 10 years from the time I wanted to thru to the time I was able to thru. Quit a good paying job (that I hated) to do so.

(2) Nope. Pre-internet. Nobody to ask.

(3) Sure I had doubts. Look at the map -- thats a long way to walk. But I wanted to do it and knew I'd give it my best shot.

I've noticed that hiking a thru is almost like an obsession for most of us. Some make it. Most do not.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you need someone else to motivate you you'll end up a statistic.
    Bingo.

The only one to motivate you is yourself.

90% mental.

If you keep finding excuses not to go, then you likely will never do it nor finish it. B/c the motivation is lacking.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

In the scheme of life, a thru-hike is pretty trivial. Do it or not, it's your choice. Either way, regret is a choice too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++