WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I think the OP's question was not about whether she does or does not have the motivation to complete a thru hike. Just getting thru college takes a hell of a lot of motivation. I offer that she is seeking the opinions of like minded individuals who have and have not fore-filled their dream:

With that in mind, here is my 2 cents.

1. You are not crazy or a misfit but a person who marches to your own drummer.
    2. Careers can wait (especially in this economy).
    3. You have a fear that family and friends will try to dissuade you from your dream with very well intentioned sound logic.
    4. Hike your own hike, take each day as it comes.
    5. It is not easy, don't expect it to be, keep an open mind.
    6. Find solace and energy in the un-expected.
    7. Create a support team back home, a trusted friend(s) or family member(s) who will follow your progress and support you in your endeavor. Could be that crazy aunt we all seem to have.
    8. Keep it light, simple and positive, after all it is just putting one foot in front of the other ( a few million times).
    9. Pay it forward - when magic happens and it will, pass it on.
    10. It's not about the distance, the end or the beginning but the journey in between.

In general, there are (3) times in life when you will have the opportunity to hike for an extended period of time, - (1) as you, just out of school with no "real" commitments -you're in your twenties (student loans can wait). (2) As a result of a life altering experience, divorce, death of a loved one or loss of your job - your are in your 30s' or 40's and (3) when you retire 60+.

Regarding being gone for (6) months, your not going to Mars for heavens sake, your hiking parallel to the most populated section of the U.S., family and friends can visit and support you along the way. Think about all your friends and piers that are going to be so jealous that you had the "ba--s" to follow your dream. At no time are you going to be more than one days drive from home (OK it may be a long day, but not more than 24 hrs.)

Money, if I had it to do over, I would have begged, borrowed or _________ to thru hike but.....

Jump at the chance now, do your homework, set yourself up for success.

Good luck and best wishes to a successful hike regardless of it's duration.

M. Bird

If you want to do it, do it. I'm 46 years old and it looks like the only I will be able to do a thru hike is when I retire or I fall into a huge pile of unexpected money before then. Time goes by so fast. The next thing you know, you will be 46 like me and can't do a thru hike like me. Either responsibilities or bad health may keep you from doing it down the road.

Images

If you are worried then you need to know that everything you have worked for will still be there when you get back.. And think how good it will look when your future employer say's what have you been doing for the past six months and you say I Hiked The AT A 2175 Mile Trail From Main To Georgia... To Me that would show dedication...And Drive...But I don't know anything, My wife and I are planning a thru in 2013..Good luck with deciding what to do.. Im right there with Ya..Just My opinion..
    Kibble's n Bit's

Do you mean "a Sadistic" haha
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If you need someone else to motivate you you'll end up a statistic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    If you want to do it, do it. I'm 46 years old and it looks like the only I will be able to do a thru hike is when I retire or I fall into a huge pile of unexpected money before then. Time goes by so fast. The next thing you know, you will be 46 like me and can't do a thru hike like me. Either responsibilities or bad health may keep you from doing it down the road.
    You sir need a better attitude - - I'm 45 and plan to do another thru - hike. Are you in bad health due to circumstances beyond your control? Life isn't some sort of dress rehearsal - this is it dude. 46 is young - - really young - - I know plenty of folks getting it done in high style in their 60s and 70 who would give anything to be 46. If you want to, you can make nearly anything you want for yourself happen with a good positive can-do attitude.

Think back on your last summer and decide what you did that was sooo inspiring that you'd not do a thru-hike inorder to do it again. If you are like most people, you'll be staring at your screen right now with a blank look wondering, what was it I did again? You'll never forget a thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If I thought that were true, I'd be gone by the time I finished writing this post....can I write fortune seaking off on my taxes?
    ask martha stewart........

Images

A thru-hike changes your life for good (at least, for most, it should). You become a different person. I suggest you should develop some PRIDE. I learned this in the summer camp that I used to run outdoor programs for. I'll share it with you so that if you decide to do a thru hike, you can think about it.

P R I D E

P - perseverance - decide what you want to accomplish and stick to it - in the rain, in the cold, if you are lonely, if you think you'd rather be drinking in the pub - - you just stick it out.
    R - respect - in this context, respect what you are doing, the trail, the environment, the world, animals, and people - respect the trail - it's good for you and the trail
    I - initiative - take initiative - life will not be served to you on a platter - even if you have all the money in the world - you have to make it
    D - discipline - not to be confused with punishment - this the standard you set for yourself - self control - sort of the accelerator pedal of life - know when to push it and when to back off a touch
    E - enthusiasm - a good attitude - esprit de corps, some would say, trumps all - it is the icing on the cake

I hope Lone Wolf reads this - I bet he would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    ask martha stewart........
    It's a good thing

i always try to judge myself and see if i can do things too .a good sign of commitment in me is the sacrafices that im willing to put up with to get the money to do it.start saving for a thru hike even if you have to give up say beer, movies,eating out,fancy vehicle.you see what im saying if your willing to suffer for your passions you are ready to start dreaming them.now comes the great part when you can dream it you can see yourself doing it,and if you can see yourself doing it ......... good luck. dont panic guys i still drink a few beers but not at bar prices lol.

Images

Based on your request, I will propose that no one (including yourself) can motivate you to do a thru hike. If you don't have the desire on your own, you are already done. Go ahead and save the expense of the equipment and just cyber hike on WB. Your body won't hurt, you won't get lost, you have complete control of your weather, you're home every night if you want to be, you can cook on a real stove and sleep in a real bed... I don't think you really want to do a thru hike if you have to ask this group to "motivate" you. Figure out what you really want to do, and go do it.
    Biggie

Journal Entries
    Images

If you need additional motivation then you are probably not ready to do a thru.
    Are you sure your desire isn't in your mind because you don't know what you want to do in your life after school? During my thru I met quite a few young ,early 20s, kids who were saying that they were thru-hiking because they didn't know what to do after school. Most of them had no direction in life so they took to the trail. Most all of them failed because they were not all that committed to a thru.
    Grampie-N->2001

GA-ME 2011
    Images

[QUOTE=Papa D;1320941]P R I D E

P - perseverance - decide what you want to accomplish and stick to it - in the rain, in the cold, if you are lonely, if you think you'd rather be drinking in the pub - - you just stick it out.
    R - respect - in this context, respect what you are doing, the trail, the environment, the world, animals, and people - respect the trail - it's good for you and the trail
    I - initiative - take initiative - life will not be served to you on a platter - even if you have all the money in the world - you have to make it
    D - discipline - not to be confused with punishment - this the standard you set for yourself - self control - sort of the accelerator pedal of life - know when to push it and when to back off a touch
    E - enthusiasm - a good attitude - esprit de corps, some would say, trumps all - it is the icing on the cake
    /QUOTE]

Papa D, I like this. Can I copy and share with my Scouts?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post
    I have always dreamed of doing a thru-hike. I guess the only thing holding me back is escaping life for such long stretch of time. I am graduating next spring (2013) from college and really want to do it, but "will I regret being gone for 4-6 months?" "what opportunities will I miss out on if I go?"... these are the questions I keep hearing that are keeping me from committing. Any motivational words-of-wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of money should i expect to save up if I do decide to commit?
    thru-hikin is more about the destination. your chances of completing one ain't good. you really gotta like walkin'. section is where it's at

Journal Entries
    Images

What are your alternatives?

Just pick the best one. If you got something better to do than starting a thru hike, then go for it.

Images

yep - I hope you will.

You're only going to do it, if and when, you REALLY want to! Hell, most people aren't gonna drop the coin without some sort of mental commitment. I have a 2013 thru planned, and I don't think it's going to be a picnic all the time.

But in response to your post, you don't know what you'll miss if you go? You really don't know what you'll miss if you stay! Good luck in your decision. It's not one you come to lightly!

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    "20 years from now you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did"....just do it!
    I was just messin' with ya in my earlier post, if you hang around here long enough you'll see I do that sometimes. Character flaw I guess. Anyway I agree with what Sam here says. You more than likely will have regrets. I first set foot on the AT in 1973. The addiction was instantaneous. After that moment it was all I thought about. Every chance I got I went and hiked some part of it. I kept running into thrus and kept saying I want to do that, I gotta do that. But every time greed kicked in and I chose money over my dream and returned to my career, which at that time in my life really wasn't anything that couldn't have been put on hold but like I said greed kicked in. I'm attempting my thru next year at an age and physical condition I'm comfortable with but at the same time has it's limitations and is questionable. If I make it, I make it. If not I'm prepared to attempt it again in 2014. If that doesn't pan out I'm willing to just keep going back and picking up from where I left off and complete it that way. I just want to see the whole thing. I wont say that there isn't a day that goes by that I regret not following my dream when I was younger and more fit and my chances were better but the thought does cross my mind. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have briefly put my life on hold and followed my dream. Listen to your heart when making your decision.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Here is a very short answer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOFDwWv4fk

DVW " Ice Cream "

For my two pennyworth, what do you want written on your gravestone?
    "Worked like a dog till the day he died"
    I don't know about you, but that terrifies me.
    No matter what your endeavour, never forget:
    Theres only one person who can stop you.
    Good luck all. ET

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++