WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water near Fingerboard shelter

I will doing some miles in a few weeks and staying around fingerboard shelter. This will be the first time I will be treating my water.

In the AT guide there seems to be a few good sources. One I will most likely use is the Surebridge Brook which gives me less miles to hike with water before getting to fingerboard shelter.

I see that the guide mentions a spring downhill to the left of the shelter but says it unreliable?

Also is using a filter system and Aquamira in combination over kill for treating water?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd trust Surebridge Brook in a dry summer. Surebridge Swamp is essentially a tailings pond from an abandoned mine, and I'd worry that the brook picks up heavy metals from it. And in a dry summer like this, I don't think the spring at the shelter will be usable.

Lake Tiorati is a short blue-blaze to the east, and has a developed swimming beach with piped water and showers.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Thanks Kevin, yeah saw that area on the guide as well, sounds like the better option.

Thanks

++ New Posts ++