WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Southern Maine - Help with a food stash

After 3 years, I finally finished my section hike of New Hampshire and will now be hiking the first 100 miles of Maine. I will be coming up from CT and leaving my car at White Birches Campground in Gorham, NH on August 11th. and will be shuttled to Route 27 at the base of Sugarloaf Mtn.

I will be hiking SOBO and would like to leave my food re-supply somewhere near the trail crossings at either route 4 or route 27. Does anyone have any advice on a specific location (a house or business would be the best) or advice on how to package my food for the week it will be outside?

I'm also open to anyone wanting to hike along. I was averaging 10 mpd in the Whites and predict I'll do around the same in the Mahoosics.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08
    NH- 09,10,11 -(finally finished!)
    Maine- 12, 13,14 - (50 miles to go)
    Maine- 15 - 100 mile Wilderness to Katahdin
    New Jersey, New York- 2017

Your not going to find a house or buisness very close to the trail crossing 4 or 27, so your only option is to stash the food in the woods. Unless you have a couple of bear proof containers to use, you'll have to hang the food in a tree - and do a real good job. You'll want to use light wieght matterials, as you'll have to carry it all out with you.

The main trick will be finding it again later. You need to hang it far enough off the trail so that it is unlikely anyone will see it or find it. If you have a GPS, you can mark the location as a geocash. Otherwise, make a treasure map. XX paces from the road, turn right, go xx paces and so on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

seal your food in a coffee can and bury it. That is what they do in the 100-Mile Wilderness.

Images

I see on the map that there is a small parking area at the trailhead, so I'll probably stash my food close to that location. I like the idea of the coffee can but what do you do with the can afterwards? I don't suppose there's a trash can at the parking area.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    I see on the map that there is a small parking area at the trailhead, so I'll probably stash my food close to that location. I like the idea of the coffee can but what do you do with the can afterwards? I don't suppose there's a trash can at the parking area.
    So you're considering storing your cache in a trash can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I figure no one would think of looking there for food, plus I could have room for alot of stuff. :-)
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

AT 2012

I like to leave my food drop in my car. along with a couple of clean pairs of socks and a clean shirt. consider parking your car at the trailhead somewhere in the middle of your hike, then walking to one end of your section hike, getting a shuttle to the other end of your section hike and ask your driver to pass by your car on the way. That gives you a chance to resupply during your shuttle ride. then walk back to your car to finish your hike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I like that shuttle plan. That's a great way to do a section hike, one shuttle and a secure resupply point halfway that's always available (unlike the post office which is always closed by the time I get to it).
    1azarus, you have 5.2 miles remaining. I assume that's Katahdin?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I like to leave my food drop in my car. along with a couple of clean pairs of socks and a clean shirt. consider parking your car at the trailhead somewhere in the middle of your hike, then walking to one end of your section hike, getting a shuttle to the other end of your section hike and ask your driver to pass by your car on the way. That gives you a chance to resupply during your shuttle ride. then walk back to your car to finish your hike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    One year, I met a hiker that was using two cars for his thru-hike. He had the cars one hiking day apart. He would drive one car ahead by a day's hike and hike back to his other car and sleep there for the night. The next morning, he would drive that second car ahead a day's hike past the other and hike back to the first car. He was heading NOBO but hiking SOBO. The cars held his supplies so everyday was a slack pack day and he had a vehicle to go into towns. It seemed ingenious.

Anyway, I decided to mail my food re-supply to a hostel near my half-way point and they will pick me up at the trail and return me after. The thought of a shower after 7 days on the trail always feels good! Thanks to all who replied.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

++ New Posts ++