WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: superfeet

Just get them at REI and if you don't like them you can return them. I use ORANGE, not the green that most shops carry. I am a big guy so I wear them out after about 700 miles or so and swap them for new ones at REI.

Images

Yes I use them, they offer great support, better than any of the manufacturers insoles.

Unfortunately, they discontinued the best of the lot, the old-style orange. These had a metatarsal "bump" that really helped solve the numb toe syndrome. They replaced them with the current orange version with a fully padded toe. These cause too-tight of fit. I've now had to settle for the green, in order to get less padding, but still great arch support. If you have flatter arches, blue may be better.

Many folks find they need to start using them gradually, just a couple hours a day initially and gradually increase, to avoid the sore feet - I haven't had that problem.

Images

I always use superfeet. The green ones. many people get them after they have developed problems. That is not the point. New shoes, replace inserts with superfeet immediately. After pain is too late.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I tried them once. My feet hurt like hell. i hate them with a passion. Never again.

For insoles.. look for Spenco or shockblockers!
    +1 on Shockblockers. Superfeet do nothing for me.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

i used them on a 30 mile hike this past weekend and it seems i always have problems with only my right foot. it seems to swell more and i got a blister on the back of my heel. i guess the small lip on the back of the superfeet caused this. should i trim it down?

I'd check and make sure you cut the superfeet down to the correct size; there is supposed to be a slight gap. Instructions are online if you have thrown the packaging away. I've never had a blister from superfeet.

I used them, and others, for years (since the mid- - 1980s). I've had recent knee problems and was wondering if it was due to worn out shoes and/or orthotics lifting my longitudinal arches and putting my knees out of alignment (any little thing, year after year, can cause problems if it isn't near perfect).

I haven't worn orthotics for a month, have switched from wearing trail runners at work (I work standing up 8 hrs. a day) to wearing sandals (Teva water sport sandals, but it probably doesn't matter - the point is that they don't have a pronounced arch support). I haven't had any foot problems and my knee seems to be better (though I'm having it looked at tomorrow, because it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years).
    I'm beginning to think that the human body may need help from time to time, but it will probably take care of itself if we don't insist on fixing what isn't broken.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I love the green superfeet I use in my trail runners. One thing that people don't mention a lot is that in addition to working well as an insole, the rigid design helps take the bite our of traversing boulder fields.

The instructions warn that the muscles in your feet need time to get used to how superfeet distribute your weight differently and recommend only using them for an hour or two a day at the beginning. This was entirely true in my case, they hurt a bit the first couple of times I wore them but once my feet got used to them they worked great.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I got Fred Flintstone feet wide and size 10 and I walk like Sasquatch.....so it's the orange soft ones for me.....green nope!.....made for strippers not hikers.... blue hard as a rock!
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I've been using the green Superfeet since about 1997. Last time I had arch pain, or a stress fracture, was the year before I started using Superfeet.

They take awhile for some to get used to them. Have patience, they are a good solution.

The thing about insoles is that not everyone's feet are the same. Most insoles are designed for people whose feet pronate a certain way since the majority of the population is like that. If your feet pronate differently, you are just asking for pain. Superfeet have worked well for me since 2007 when I started doing longer trips including a PCT thru-hike. However, they may not be for you. Its best to try any insole out before you hike a long trail to see how they work for you. If you are on the trail when you decide to try them, at least keep the factory insoles awhile until you see how your feet fare.

I've used the green for several years and they solved most of my problems except for calluses that I have under my big toes. After a few days of hiking, the calluses could get very painful. On my last 10 day trip I tried the orange superfeet and found they not only gave me the comfort of green superfeet, but they solved the callus problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I used them, and others, for years (since the mid- - 1980s). I've had recent knee problems and was wondering if it was due to worn out shoes and/or orthotics lifting my longitudinal arches and putting my knees out of alignment (any little thing, year after year, can cause problems if it isn't near perfect).

I haven't worn orthotics for a month, have switched from wearing trail runners at work (I work standing up 8 hrs. a day) to wearing sandals (Teva water sport sandals, but it probably doesn't matter - the point is that they don't have a pronounced arch support). I haven't had any foot problems and my knee seems to be better (though I'm having it looked at tomorrow, because it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years).
    I'm beginning to think that the human body may need help from time to time, but it will probably take care of itself if we don't insist on fixing what isn't broken.
    Update: I just found out after an x-ray of my knee that I have a fractured patellar ligment (no idea exactly what that is at the moment). The doctor says it's an old injury and I might have to undergo some physical therapy. I can get around ok now, but the knee is always sore and feels a bit unstable (seems like it wants to hyperextend).
    Just thought I'd mention this because my knee pain is not, after all, due to my orthotics (though both feet and knees seem fine without them for three weeks ).
    Carry on!
    Last edited by Tinker; 08-11-2012 at 08:31. Reason: fixed typo
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I like Superfeet insoles and wore them on my entire thru hike. Sadly some hikers and most store sales staff dont know how to properly fit them. You can't really rely on just picking a set using their letter size guide. Heck even the shoe industries sizing guide isn't all that consistent.

The two steps in sizing them are:
    1- Check the length first. Go up or down in size to insure your whole foot is covered by the insole.
    2- Make sure your entire heel fits inside the heel cup of the insole. Do this by laying the insole on the floor and placing your foot inside. No part of your heel should overlap the heel cup! Go up a size if necessary.
    Last edited by Spokes; 08-11-2012 at 11:37.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use trail runners with the black Superfeet for flat feet. I wouldn't go without them,
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    I developed plantar fasciitis. Rest, stretching, and the BLUE superfeet relieved the symptoms.

I have them in all of my shoes. Never going back.
    What's the difference between the blue and green? I believe I read that someone had issues with green in trail runners. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    What's the difference between the blue and green? I believe I read that someone had issues with green in trail runners. Why?
    It's all here in the SuperFeet User Guides:

http://www.superfeet.com/users-guide/#choose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++