WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

What is the 'Sensitive Trail Subjects' Forum?

Images

My understanding is that the 'Sensitive Trail Subjects' forum may only be viewed by Donating Members who are subscribed to it.

There are so many things wrong with this discussion being conducted in a public forum that is searchable from the Internet I do not even know where to begin.
    1) Broadcasting the location of children who may be left wandering in the woods unattended is dangerous and irresponsible.
    2) If the children Google themselves someday, these children do not need the hurt and damage that can be caused by reading peoples opinions of their mother expressed on this forum.

Posters need to remember that what we say in these forums is very public. You should not say anything that you would not be willing to say to everyone on the planet, because that is what you are effectively doing. (Everyone can range from the person you are talking about, their children, criminals, pedophiles, everyone).

Some topics and discussions should be conducted in private.

Scott

Journal Entries
    Images

There are no names mentioned here. And those who are about to encounter this family need a heads up!

Images

Whats seems to could have been a great teaching tool to her children about nature and the world is turning out a lesson on how to get by on how to dupe others. Just what the world needs more users. Sad really.....There is nothing that can be done about stupid.....
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Whats seems to could have been a great teaching tool to her children about nature and the world is turning out a lesson on how to get by on how to dupe others. Just what the world needs more users. Sad really.....There is nothing that can be done about stupid.....
    How true. As much as you might want to you just can't fix stupid.

Images

The summer months on the trail are when all sorts of people and their stupid plans come out.They usually trash campsites&shelters and manage to pi$$ off a lot of other people while they are out.....

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    How true. As much as you might want to you just can't fix stupid.
    P.S. Not even with duct tape and beer.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Taking your kids into the outdoors is one of the biggest favors you can do for them, but the way this mother is doing it is what we used to call in the service a Charlie Foxtrot. Any mom that has an 11 year old that's missing and doesn't show any concern (even if he is the neighborhood terrorist) isn't doing what she ought to be doing. Taking these kids out this way with worn out shoes, losing kids, running out of food...totally irresponsible IMHO.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Taking your kids into the outdoors is one of the biggest favors you can do for them, but the way this mother is doing it is what we used to call in the service a Charlie Foxtrot. Any mom that has an 11 year old that's missing and doesn't show any concern (even if he is the neighborhood terrorist) isn't doing what she ought to be doing. Taking these kids out this way with worn out shoes, losing kids, running out of food...totally irresponsible IMHO.
    +1 This. Certainly do not have an issue with parents getting their kids out of the house and hiking, or exposing them to to the wider world rather than shielding them because they might get hurt. I really want to slap the person everytime something is suggested because, "its for the children." But this is simply a sad situation
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    There are no names mentioned here. And those who are about to encounter this family need a heads up!
    True, but that still does not prevent criminals from possibly targeting these kids, or prevent the kids from doing a search and finding these unflattering posts. They are probably already aware of WhiteBlaze, and will have access to the internet many places along the way.

I'm not defending this Mom, she does seem pretty unprepared, and the trip poorly planned, but I agree that publicly ridiculing this family probably isn't the most gracious or understanding way to address the problems. No reason to subject the kids to our wrath.

Images

At the same time, this gives other hikers the heads-up that they may have to stop what they are doing to make sure this kid (or one of the others) makes it back to the rest of the group. It's happened multiple times, so it seems that others are going to have to be able to keep an eye on the kids. I don't mean in a creepy way... The mom clearly is all about herself and her needs.

I just hope the kids do not get hurt in this misadventure... I also hope the search and rescuers stay safe the next time they are called to look for one of her kids.

Just a question... But, if her kid has terrorized the neighborhood, then shouldn't she be keeping an extra close eye on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Maiden View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh--THIS child--as absolutely adorable and sweet as he appears,.... according to his mother, ..... if they go home, he will be put in jail..... agreement with the authorities to keep him away from the neighbors. .... He is a beautiful child and hopefully will get the help he needs .....
    Sorry....but they don't put 11 y/o's in jail. Rather, they are required to go through screening which usually ends up in counseling and/or medication. Wonderful children and adults sometimes have chemical imbalances that require medication to control (same concept as a diabetic needing insulin).

For those concerned one of the children reads this, I offer a suggestion to the kids: Give each person a number, starting with 1. WHENEVER the group starts moving forward from a campsite or even a brief stop, have each person call out their number in order. This is what we do with a group of 8-10 youth when we hike.... it makes sure no one moves on without everyone there.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    At the same time, this gives other hikers the heads-up that they may have to stop what they are doing to make sure this kid (or one of the others) makes it back to the rest of the group. It's happened multiple times, so it seems that others are going to have to be able to keep an eye on the kids. I don't mean in a creepy way... The mom clearly is all about herself and her needs.

I just hope the kids do not get hurt in this misadventure... I also hope the search and rescuers stay safe the next time they are called to look for one of her kids.

Just a question... But, if her kid has terrorized the neighborhood, then shouldn't she be keeping an extra close eye on him?
    I was thinking this myself. A kid who has set fire to his home doesn't need to be on his own on the trail. And no child deserves to feel that he doesn't matter. FWIW I feel that the hiking communities, towns, and hostels ahead deserve to know about this family. People who previously might have donated to this woman deserve to know the truth. These kids will not learn anything about their family (on the off chance that they stumble across this forum) that they already haven't known for a long time. I somehow think that hiking will be the last thing most of them will want to do as adults after this. And I would say a lot more to this woman in person than I am saying here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    True, but that still does not prevent criminals from possibly targeting these kids, or prevent the kids from doing a search and finding these unflattering posts. They are probably already aware of WhiteBlaze, and will have access to the internet many places along the way.

I'm not defending this Mom, she does seem pretty unprepared, and the trip poorly planned, but I agree that publicly ridiculing this family probably isn't the most gracious or understanding way to address the problems. No reason to subject the kids to our wrath.
    I agree with on that Lyle, good point.....

So why don't some body sit down with this mom and try and educate her on trail ethics and what she is doing is wrong? instead of screaming and ridiculing her.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    So why don't some body sit down with this mom and try and educate her on trail ethics and what she is doing is wrong? instead of screaming and ridiculing her.
    I don't see TOW, Lone Wolf, myself or anyone else screaming or ridiculing this woman. It is far too sad and serious a situation for ridicule.

This goes way beyond "trail ethics." Trail ethics involve not pitching your tent in the shelter, having the courtesy to dig cat holes, and being considerate of others on the trail. No one on this forum is going to teach this woman to care that her 11-yr old is missing on the trail or give her the wisdom to know that if you can't feed your 5 children and keep them in shoes - you might consider going home.

This woman needs more help than the hiking community can give her. This isn't just about money, but rather about ethics and the extremely poor choices she is making. It is about 5 kids on the trail who are in harm's way. We can't teach this woman about caring for her children or not stiffing a town who has helped her out or making sure that you have food and shoes before you spend $600+ in gear. Normally all this wouldn't be open for discussion, but when the hiking community and hostels and towns ahead are going to encounter this woman - IMO there is nothing wrong with Lone Wolf, TOW and others from Damascus letting others know about their experience. Especially Lone Wolf as he spent many hours making sure that this young boy was safe - only to encounter a mother who didn't seem to care.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    I don't see TOW, Lone Wolf, myself or anyone else screaming or ridiculing this woman. It is far too sad and serious a situation for ridicule.

This goes way beyond "trail ethics." Trail ethics involve not pitching your tent in the shelter, having the courtesy to dig cat holes, and being considerate of others on the trail. No one on this forum is going to teach this woman to care that her 11-yr old is missing on the trail or give her the wisdom to know that if you can't feed your 5 children and keep them in shoes - you might consider going home.

This woman needs more help than the hiking community can give her. This isn't just about money, but rather about ethics and the extremely poor choices she is making. It is about 5 kids on the trail who are in harm's way. We can't teach this woman about caring for her children or not stiffing a town who has helped her out or making sure that you have food and shoes before you spend $600+ in gear. Normally all this wouldn't be open for discussion, but when the hiking community and hostels and towns ahead are going to encounter this woman - IMO there is nothing wrong with Lone Wolf, TOW and others from Damascus letting others know about their experience. Especially Lone Wolf as he spent many hours making sure that this young boy was safe - only to encounter a mother who didn't seem to care.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    Don't lump yourself in with TOW and Lone Wolf. They are providing empirical data. They are the "boots on the ground" and basing their opinions of that empirical data. Your post are based on opinion and judgments you have made based on your own values.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    My understanding is that the 'Sensitive Trail Subjects' forum may only be viewed by Donating Members who are subscribed to it.

There are so many things wrong with this discussion being conducted in a public forum that is searchable from the Internet I do not even know where to begin.
    1) Broadcasting the location of children who may be left wandering in the woods unattended is dangerous and irresponsible.
    2) If the children Google themselves someday, these children do not need the hurt and damage that can be caused by reading peoples opinions of their mother expressed on this forum.

Posters need to remember that what we say in these forums is very public. You should not say anything that you would not be willing to say to everyone on the planet, because that is what you are effectively doing. (Everyone can range from the person you are talking about, their children, criminals, pedophiles, everyone).

Some topics and discussions should be conducted in private.

Scott
    I see, said the blind man

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Don't lump yourself in with TOW and Lone Wolf. They are providing empirical data. They are the "boots on the ground" and basing their opinions of that empirical data. Your post are based on opinion and judgments you have made based on your own values.
    I am giving my opinion. That said, my posts have neither screamed at nor ridiculed this family.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++