WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Sounds irresponsible and scary to me.
    LOL--EXACTLY what my Dad said when I told him I was going to thru-hike!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Yes--Care Bears...
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Sounds irresponsible and scary to me.

Sounds like neither to me.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I found their trail journal -

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=387918

She's far braver than I would ever have been!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i hope she doesn't stiff The Place. going on night 5
    i was right. she did stiff The Place. left $50. paid for 1 night out of 5.

I do not admire this mother in the least. This woman is completely irresponsible for taking 5 children on the trail while broke. According to her journal, she does not even have the money to replace her 15-yr old's shoes. It is a difficult journey for any family that ranges from 7-15 years in age. However, when you embark on such a hike without adequate funds and are flat broke by Damascus - that is absolutely pathetic for her family. Search and Resue had to be called for her oldest 15-yr old who ended up walking 30 miles in one day while lost. This woman needs to put the needs of her family first. I am not opposed to helping hikers, but not when they are this irresponsible. She will soon be off the trail even if the donations do start pouring in.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep and that is just not cool. Came into town with a sad sack story right from the gate and worked it all the way thru , and even putting a couple of her kids up to her bidding instead of facing her own music. She blows $600 smackers at MRO while telling us she can't afford to pay for her and the kids basic needs....wonder who else she duped between here and Springer?

Should have done like Balls and Sunshine and asked for donations and sponsors.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

When I open my hostel it nwill be by donation. And if you do not slap that donation on the table from the gate you can find someplace else to hang your pack, take a shower..... I believe in compassion for others and I will continue to be compassionate toward others but when they dupe me and then throw it in my face then that is no good.... ah, another part of a very long chapter 6 of The Place...

Journal Entries
    Images

oh they got money buddy b ecause they have welfare, now that i remember my conversation with her....

Just read her trail journal. OMG, where to start?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Just read her trail journal. OMG, where to start?
    That was what I was thinking! IMO the hike itself is not irresponsible, but the way she is doing it... Wow.

Missing basic necessities (no shoes and her journal said "can live without food as long as we have water"); plus, unable to supervise children....a 15 year old was lost in the woods OVERNIGHT! And now, according to Lone Wolf, committed a crime with a fail-to-pay...... In addition, I would worry about her special-needs child being taken care of properly....

I would think Child Protective Services might be interested in this....

Journal Entries
    Images

Our Chief did get called and he checked them out, clean as far as the books says. And he did not think the kids were being mistreated. And she did not commit a crime because we work on donations, that's the wording anyway. We did not expect her to put a whole lot in the box but we did expect her to give at least half of what she used. She is a user and a abuser of others kindness...

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Missing basic necessities (no shoes and her journal said "can live without food as long as we have water"); plus, unable to supervise children....a 15 year old was lost in the woods OVERNIGHT! And now, according to Lone Wolf, committed a crime with a fail-to-pay...... In addition, I would worry about her special-needs child being taken care of properly....

I would think Child Protective Services might be interested in this....
    This woman is irresponsible and selfish and CPS should investigate. According to her journal, she is no longer thru hiking, but rather wants to "get rides" to various points so that the kids can hike in those States. And she is going to do this until Nov. She has been off the trail as much as she has been on the trail. Her children all became sick from bad water and were previously forced off the trail. She bought herself a $200+ pack, but let her kid's shoes fall apart. Spent $300 on sleeping bags because the ones she started with were too small from the get go. She is trying to get the 15-yr old's pack "under 25 lbs" because it is too heavy for him. God only knows how much it originally weighed. This woman is just another example of a woman who had a lot of children and is working the System and is letting Welfare and donations pay for it all.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=385047

it seems that folks that use the hostel always have money for food, beer and gear but never $6 lousy dollars for a nights stay

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    This woman is irresponsible and selfish and CPS should investigate. According to her journal, she is no longer thru hiking, but rather wants to "get rides" to various points so that the kids can hike in those States. And she is going to do this until Nov. She has been off the trail as much as she has been on the trail. Her children all became sick from bad water and were previously forced off the trail. She bought herself a $200+ pack, but let her kid's shoes fall apart. Spent $300 on sleeping bags because the ones she started with were too small from the get go. She is trying to get the 15-yr old's pack "under 25 lbs" because it is too heavy for him. God only knows how much it originally weighed. This woman is just another example of a woman who had a lot of children and is working the System and is letting Welfare and donations pay for it all.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=385047
    None of us know this woman's story. As for being a welfare mom, I knew plenty of them as a teacher, who struggled mightily to do right for their kids. No need to dump on them.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    None of us know this woman's story. As for being a welfare mom, I knew plenty of them as a teacher, who struggled mightily to do right for their kids. No need to dump on them.
    Good post and just in time. We tend to get very harsh and negative here before we get the details. Sounds like the guys in Damascus did a good job, even to the point of having the Chief of Police check things out. As far as the problems on the trail, sounds like normal stuff first timers do. The comment "This is just another example of a woman who had a lot of children and is working the System and is letting Welfare and donations pay for it all.", well, that is a comment that is political, anti-gender and just wrong and disturbing on way to many levels

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not dissing her for getting by any way she can but what she did here was uncalled for....

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++