WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    Man, I hope I stay under the radar on my thru (attempt). I don't want to become the subject of a thread on WB. People that have never met me talkin' bout me as though they do. Maybe I'll bag my kilt, and just bring a picture of my dog to cut the risk. On second thought, I'll wear my family tartan and bring Angus. Maybe I'll be enough of a distraction, that some poor family will get left alone to hike their hike.
    If you want to fly under the radar, don't lose kids along the trail so that authorities have to hunt for either party, and don't require charity from hostels and trail angels just in order to keep from starving or freezing.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    If you want to fly under the radar, don't lose kids along the trail so that authorities have to hunt for either party, and don't require charity from hostels and trail angels just in order to keep from starving or freezing.
    Children..............Do you know where your parents are?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    that's what i asked the kid the night he was separated from mom. he had an idea where she might be

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Agreed, a latch key society.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's what i asked the kid the night he was separated from mom. he had an idea where she might be
    But did she know where he was?

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Starving, freezing; I wasn't on site so I can't judge. I'm also not going to assume starving or freezing, vs. hungry or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    But did she know where he was?
    no she did not

regarding the "predators" posts... the Mother posted pics of the kids & locations info all over facebook during their trip , then posted they were leaving Pearisburg VA on 8/15, first day of school pics on the 20th, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    For those of you who really care about this family. Their house in La was flooded with the Hurricane. They are home dealing now with no home to live in. So now this tread can actually go to rest.
    Sweetspot.. thank you so much for the latest info on the family. I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding of their home.

Thank you for the ones that were concerned about this family. When I first stepped foot on the AT I was not an experienced hiker. The trail teaches us a lot. It gives us what we need. I love White Blazes for its information from experienced hikers. I have learned a lot in 2 years from this forum of long distance hiking and I thank you all. I am a COURT APPOINTED SPECIAL ADVOCATE FOR CHILDREN. (CASA) It is a great program. I did have concerns with this family so I reached out to them. My first trip on the AT I was not prepared but I found a lot of people that were not .The second year I knew a little more but still learned a lot. Mostly from the hikers I hiked with. I did see children some were even be exploited for personal gain. What makes the Family from the South so different and this on going never ending entertaining whatever it is. Is the way the mother acted while they were in Damascus. But a lot of hiker I meet abused the system more then she did. One ended up in jail twice. I in now way condoning what she has done. But she has a bigger obstacle in her life now. With the flooding of her home. Etc. On a closing I wish more families would attempt to take their children on a hike if nothing else to get them away from TV and computers. And maybe some bonding time.

In my heart I think she was trying to do the best she she could. I remember My childhood vacations with my 4 brothers and 1 sister we did 13 state in 2 weeks and hit all the vacation traps. I want to Thank all the ones that did help her and her family and the ones that never met her you can not talk. I love White Blazes and all the knowledge that is here for long distance hikers. I would hike with any one of you any time. I keep in contact with her and her family. You will not be hearing from her again on the AT. For those that helped her and all the other hikers you will be rewarded sometime. I thank you again. Please keep your heart open to people and children and the its the children we were all concerned about. It all worked out despite us who worried. I hope if I am ever in trouble on the trai I will have the kindness of the White Blazes members. She is off the the trail let it rest.

Great post above to close out the thread.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22
++ New Posts ++