WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

i agree. rather than put all the weight below your legs, put it above. below your knees will create a whole different set of stresses, and doesnt simulate backpacking at all.

I'm currently wearing a 40 pound sub-cutaneous weight suit 24/7.
    Not for everyone.

wearing weight on the ankles will have the same effect on your knees as galleger had on watermellons with his big wooden mallet.take your shoes off and walk in sand that will strengthen your ankles and backs of the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Not for everyone.
    Holy Cow, Is that what the human outer skin weighs, I had no idea, makes sense, my head weighs about 25 lb. but my brain is only about 12lb, of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    wearing weight on the ankles will have the same effect on your knees as galleger had on watermellons with his big wooden mallet.take your shoes off and walk in sand that will strengthen your ankles and backs of the legs.
    That's probably why I've have bad knees these days, we use to run the steps at practice with ankle weights on......

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    To me, the worst part of being a section hiker is NOT being able to ramp up your conditioning on the trail. To have a fighting chance, I packhaul 3-5 times a week for 30 days prior with an extra 10 pounds over my anticipated trail weight. I also start using trekking poles two weeks prior. And every time, after two weeks of conditioning on the real trail I'm raring to go farther, but life has me shackled...
    Yes, life sure can be a Hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    wrist weights.between these and chrome, you'll be unstoppable!
    i think KK is jealous of airconditioning.
    Cool, I can get some out of the wife's jewelry box, but they may not be heavy enough....Au gimme back my gold I got Busted, but the hand cuff's ain't to light either.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    1+ on the weight vest.
    Yeah I'd never heard of this before, maybe I could modify my fishing vest.......too Suit

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    I tried a different training routine for my summer trip to the whites in NH this year. Aside from regular walking miles I got a 35 lb weight vest and wore it when I used the stairmaster at the gym. The result was I didn't fatigue as quickly on the ups as I normally would.
    Thanks, great idea, why am I not surprised...with a name like "House of Pain"

Not for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Holy Cow, Is that what the human outer skin weighs, I had no idea, makes sense, my head weighs about 25 lb. but my brain is only about 12lb, of that?
    I was refering to my excess fat, and yeah, about 40 pounds, but it fluctuates. :-)

I was refering to my excess fat, and yeah, about 40 pounds, but it fluctuates. :-)
    No, of coarse not, didn't mean to imply....

40 pound sub-cutaneous weight suit
    I am soooo... glad you said that.

I am reminded of the weight-shaving measures for expensive bicycles.

That is what I think of when I see XSUL. I can't help it. I see the gut.

Waist-slimming exercizes would be more helpful. Really: core-strength is "a good thing".

Images

I just finished building a harness like the old Cigars/Cigarettes tray, so I don't have to miss a post...might even start selling them, even got a secret compartment for a knife/gun underneath, with a built-in water filter that also coolsand cleans my watertube filled glasses at and around the forehead area. Not sure what to call it?
    LMAO!!! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    To me, the worst part of being a section hiker is NOT being able to ramp up your conditioning on the trail. To have a fighting chance, I packhaul 3-5 times a week for 30 days prior with an extra 10 pounds over my anticipated trail weight. I also start using trekking poles two weeks prior. And every time, after two weeks of conditioning on the real trail I'm raring to go farther, but life has me shackled...
    Before my section hikes I do no hiking at all. I do intense 60 minute workouts on an exercise bike. My knees are stronger than ever and I have no problems knocking out 20 mile days on Day 1.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I have used ankle weights for mountaineering training in order to simulate the combined weight of heavy boots and crampons. I found them very helpful for that specific purpose, but I think the risk of knee injury would outweigh any benefit for general hiking preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    I have used ankle weights for mountaineering training in order to simulate the combined weight of heavy boots and crampons. I found them very helpful for that specific purpose, but I think the risk of knee injury would outweigh any benefit for general hiking preparation.
    Yes, it seems as though using ankle weights is an old mode of strengthening the lowers.

Is the old mode of ankle weights good for building muscles or is the risk of injury just to great and more harm can come from doing so, if so, what could you do to build those muscles that the ankle weights would stimulate?
    Ankle weights in the water will do wonders without all of the hard stresses on your joints that using them on dry land can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    Ankle weights in the water will do wonders without all of the hard stresses on your joints that using them on dry land can produce.
    Now there's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that....thanks for that idea, good one.

I think a few of said it already. Ankle weights are bad for your joints

Use a weighted Vest, then sprint stairs. Start with like 15 second sprints, with 2min rest. Then move on to 30 second sprints, 2min rest. 45 sec, 2min rest....

I would just do regular exercise, perhaps with weights, but not constantly keep weight on.

Images

I think the weights would be a great help.
    Turn computer off, place weights on on/off switch and go for a walk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++