WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How longs it take

How long does it take to go from pisgah forest to clingmans dome?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Got a landmark a little more precise than Pisgah NF?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by don h View Post
    got a landmark a little more precise than pisgah nf?

What he said

It depends

the mst crosses the US-276s highway which i was going to use as a link from the fht

You'll get good help from www.atdist.com.

Quote Originally Posted by safariman View Post
    the mst crosses the US-276s highway which i was going to use as a link from the fht
    There is an assortment of trails going from the Town of Pisgah Forest / Brevard up to the parkway and the MST.

If you did do this highway walk you are imagining from the Foothills Trail to Pisgah/Brevard you will have already walked along a lot of winding narrow busy mountain road.

276 is one more long winding narrow busy road, if you make it that far use the trails.

Perhaps since you are just taking your first steps from day hiking to backpacking you might want to try some other trails before you bite off so much highway walking.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    276 is one more long winding narrow busy road, if you make it that far use the trails.

Perhaps since you are just taking your first steps from day hiking to backpacking you might want to try some other trails before you bite off so much highway walking.
    on the maps ive been looking at the fht trail has a spur trail leading to ceasers head mtn. then from there its 15miles up 276 to the outskirts of pisgah forest. when you say if you make it that far use the trails. what trails are these trails that you speak of?
    but like you said i do want to get out a get a couple 3-5 day hikes in before i go out for a month or two. I was thinking of hitting the bartram trail/a.t loop.

The Art Loeb Trail is the most well known there are several others. Most of them have trail-heads around the Visitors Center/ Rangers Station on 276 about two miles from where it splits off from hwy 64.

Check these online maps out, then buy some if you still plan that far.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_780.html

I have biked from Travelers Rest South Carolina past Caesars Head to Pisgah Forest/ Brevard, I wouldn't want to hike it. But I'm not a big fan of road walks anyway.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Would be nice to eventually have a connector trail from the FHT to the MST. Probably would be tricky crossing a lot of private land, but fun to think about nonetheless.

++ New Posts ++