WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Concealed Carry in NP along the AT.

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in Smoky NP, Shen. NP or any other land under the control of the national park system even if you have a permit to carry in that particular state?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in Smoky NP, Shen. NP or any other land under the control of the national park system even if you have a permit to carry in that particular state?
    It is. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Thanks Vamelungeon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Vamelungeon nails it. Key thing to remember is that federal law was changed to bring the national park system into line with the state laws. As the link indicates a park like the Smokies sits across state lines and folk need to be familar with both NC and Tennessee's laws.

Shenandoah being within Virginia, follows the laws of the Commonwealth. Harpers Ferry on the otherhand follows West Virginia law, and so forth.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Negative it is my impression that even if you have a corneal carry permit, you cannot carry on Federal land as the law is written now, that may change but not likely for the better according to the NRA.We may head into a time where all permitted/registerd firearms are confiscated, like Europe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Negative it is my impression that even if you have a corneal carry permit, you cannot carry on Federal land as the law is written now, that may change but not likely for the better according to the NRA.We may head into a time where all permitted/registerd firearms are confiscated, like Europe.
    You're not up to date. Again from the link that was posted by Vamelungeon "As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park..."

The change in the law was part of a larger law regulating the credit card industry. The change in the law actually started back in the Bush admin, with the administration simply attempting to change the NPS regulations. This was blocked and Republicans in Congress were able to attach a change in the law to the credit card regulation bill, to align NPS firearms regulations with state laws.

Whatever the laws are within the states, those laws apply to national parks within those states and are not just limited to concealed carry. If for example the state permits open carry, then open carry is permitted within the national park as well. And while firearms may be carried within the park, they my not be carried into a federal building -ie a park visitor center.

Also note that the change in the law also brought the parks system into alignment with other federal land agencies who also followed state laws.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Being from va, and with chp, alot of states have an agreement with virginia to recognize my permit. Alabama, georgia and maryland, are big no no's. Along with NP's, Virginia now allows firearms in state parks and i think national forests are also covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    You're not up to date. Again from the link that was posted by Vamelungeon "As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park..."

The change in the law was part of a larger law regulating the credit card industry. The change in the law actually started back in the Bush admin, with the administration simply attempting to change the NPS regulations. This was blocked and Republicans in Congress were able to attach a change in the law to the credit card regulation bill, to align NPS firearms regulations with state laws.

Whatever the laws are within the states, those laws apply to national parks within those states and are not just limited to concealed carry. If for example the state permits open carry, then open carry is permitted within the national park as well. And while firearms may be carried within the park, they my not be carried into a federal building -ie a park visitor center.

Also note that the change in the law also brought the parks system into alignment with other federal land agencies who also followed state laws.
    I did not know this, that's very interesting, thanks for pointing this out.

Being retired LE, I am covered under H.R 218, and can carry in all 50 states. However I know that NY and NJ have the strictest gun laws and would advise against carrying there.

Also, most buildings on those lands do have posted no firearms signs upon entry, so be sure to keep that in mind when visiting a visitor center or something like that.

Also keep in mind that while you can carry a gun, actually discharging it can lead to serious penalties. Especially if you happen to hit something...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was curious about this law so I did some web surfing. This page has links to many of the Northeast state gun policy web sites and summarizes the NPS policy as per the credit card law (how does that makes sense???). The wording seems to be a standard text used on may different NP web sites I found, including the sentence that says: "Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances." (as per verasch above)

http://www.nps.gov/nero/firearms/

Here is the page for GSMNP http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
    And for SNP http://www.nps.gov/shen/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

I also found this on a NPS document: "Other weapons such as bows, swords, and pellet or BB guns are not affected by the new law and remain prohibited by the National Park Service."

Curiously, the Yellowstone NP page has this statement: "Hunting and discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone National Park." So I guess you can carry a gun, but you you are not allowed to fire it. Maybe you can use it as a club???

Concealed is concealed.

But for the record, I don't generally carry when I backpack.. weighs too much :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Also keep in mind that while you can carry a gun, actually discharging it can lead to serious penalties. Especially if you happen to hit something...
    I would hope that discharging a firearm would lead to some serious penalties for the attacker. Hitting something (preferably enter mass several times) is the whole point; that's called sight picture and muzzle control. That's called stopping a felonious attack.

Four rules to always guide you in safe firearms handling:
    1. All firearms are loaded--no exceptions.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything that you do not wish to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    4. Be sure of what is behind your target before you fire.

Follow these rules and it is no one's business whether you carry or not.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Keep in mind that even under the new rules, visitor's centers and pretty much any other structure within a national park will be considered a Federal Building, and therefore not part of the "state" you're in. Therefore, you can't carry concealed into a federal building within a national park, even though you can (with a valid permit) carry concealed all around the park and outside of buildings.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

"pretty much any other structure within a national park will be considered a Federal Building". So I can't take my gun in the privy with me????
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I finished hiking in the GSMNP just a few weeks ago. On my last night we stayed at a shelter with a large group that had horses. Three in the group had open carry firearms. The ranger stopped by the next day and never said a word so I assume the rangers have had no problems. BTW they all had GA CW permits.

Images

So I can't take my gun in the privy with me
    .... Just shooting the ***** officer, honest
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Good!!!!!!

++ New Posts ++