WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1420 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 420 920 1320 1370 1410 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1430 1470 1520 1920 2420 ... LastLast
Results 28,381 to 28,400 of 49000

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    cant wait for the newbies telling me im doing it all wrong.
    That's half the fun of going to Springer in the spring.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Wait, Sunday morning I will dump his pack, before he gets up, and we'll see if we can shave a few more onces off his base weight. .........
    will an once be enough to get to the NC border???

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Hiya, kids! Well, I made it back to Iraq. Got in yesterday. Stuck in Baghdad until Sunday. This traveling in country thing is getting to be ridiculous with the waits.

I managed to bookend the vacation with a little fun on each side of the class I took. Class was one hell of a week. Started feeling kinda pekid Sunday night. Monday, woke up feeling like hell. By Tuesday it was more like hammered s#*t warmed over twice. Wednesday I was wishing for death. And those were all classroom days. Thursday was practical application. Live burns all day. I woke up feeling slightly better, but better than wishing for death...well you get the idea. I managed to live through the day Thursday but it kicked my everloving ass. Passed the test, got the certification, all worth it.

The Saturday before class started (March 2nd) I saw Gabriel Iglesias at the Toyota Center in Houston. He's a hell of a comedian and it was a great show, but I wouldn't recommend seeing a comedy show in a place like that (arena setting). The acoustics suck. Entirely too much echo. Fortunately, Fluffy has a pretty soft voice and doesn't yell a lot, so there wasn't much echo during his show. A few of the preliminary comics, yeah...ouch. All in all it was a great time though. He's a very humble young man and you can tell he truly appreciates his fans. When he came out on stage he was talking about that being the largest (12,000) crowd he's ever had. Previously it was 10K. His voice broke while he was talking about it. Plus, there were coupons/cards available at every merchandise stand for every fan in the audience to go on line and get a free t-shirt. I know at least two in the audience (my date and I) didn't grab a coupon, but even if only half the crowd did, that's a pile of money he laid out just to get the shirts made, not to mention the lost profit.

Saturday the 9th, I saw Cirque du Soleil: Quidat. I'd never seen a Cirque show before, and now I'll never miss another if I have the chance. My previous assessment of it being circus meets Broadway meets LSD was pretty accurate, and I say that as a compliment. One hell of a show!

Sprinkled throughout were a few really nice meals, although not as many as I'd hoped, what with being sick for part of the trip. At least both weekends I felt decent enough to gorge.

I hope all is well with everyone here.
    CR, the positive will he developed along with the viral marketing it will produce (such as your post above) may in the end be worth as much as the shirts he gave away. I am sure he did for the right reason, just saying in the long run he may be rewarded for it. The key like anything in life is see the big picture and treat people right.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

cant wait for the newbies telling me im doing it all wrong.
    I will get right on that. I need my coffee 1st. I find I am a better criticizer if I am awake.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

i am starting to get excited.totallyunplanned and impulsive. im not too crazy about starting with the pack as im really not into crowds, but i tent anyway so im hoping i wont have a problem.cant wait for the newbies telling me im doing it all wrong.
    HB, in the first week you meet more than a few that really have no clue what they are doing, and like you say some will not be afraid to share their ignorance with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    HB, in the first week you meet more than a few that really have no clue what they are doing, and like you say some will not be afraid to share their ignorance with you.
    I like that. My next signature will contain that thought.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    get your ass down here. damascus is only 10 miles off I 81
    You tell um LW.... I live 5 miles from Daleville off I81. It's kinda funny that our yankee friends are comin south & we are damn yankee's ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I will get right on that. I need my coffee 1st. I find I am a better criticizer if I am awake.
    Mornin..................

Happy Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    You tell um LW.... I live 5 miles from Daleville off I81. It's kinda funny that our yankee friends are comin south & we are damn yankee's ourselves.
    Yeah, once they get down here and enjoy some Southern hospitality and warm(er) weather, they might move too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Hiya, kids! Well, I made it back to Iraq. Got in yesterday. Stuck in Baghdad until Sunday. This traveling in country thing is getting to be ridiculous with the waits.

I managed to bookend the vacation with a little fun on each side of the class I took. Class was one hell of a week. Started feeling kinda pekid Sunday night. Monday, woke up feeling like hell. By Tuesday it was more like hammered s#*t warmed over twice. Wednesday I was wishing for death. And those were all classroom days. Thursday was practical application. Live burns all day. I woke up feeling slightly better, but better than wishing for death...well you get the idea. I managed to live through the day Thursday but it kicked my everloving ass. Passed the test, got the certification, all worth it.

The Saturday before class started (March 2nd) I saw Gabriel Iglesias at the Toyota Center in Houston. He's a hell of a comedian and it was a great show, but I wouldn't recommend seeing a comedy show in a place like that (arena setting). The acoustics suck. Entirely too much echo. Fortunately, Fluffy has a pretty soft voice and doesn't yell a lot, so there wasn't much echo during his show. A few of the preliminary comics, yeah...ouch. All in all it was a great time though. He's a very humble young man and you can tell he truly appreciates his fans. When he came out on stage he was talking about that being the largest (12,000) crowd he's ever had. Previously it was 10K. His voice broke while he was talking about it. Plus, there were coupons/cards available at every merchandise stand for every fan in the audience to go on line and get a free t-shirt. I know at least two in the audience (my date and I) didn't grab a coupon, but even if only half the crowd did, that's a pile of money he laid out just to get the shirts made, not to mention the lost profit.

Saturday the 9th, I saw Cirque du Soleil: Quidat. I'd never seen a Cirque show before, and now I'll never miss another if I have the chance. My previous assessment of it being circus meets Broadway meets LSD was pretty accurate, and I say that as a compliment. One hell of a show!

Sprinkled throughout were a few really nice meals, although not as many as I'd hoped, what with being sick for part of the trip. At least both weekends I felt decent enough to gorge.

I hope all is well with everyone here.
    Hello CR... nice trip report. Sorry you were sicko! Good to hear from ya!

Yeah, once they get down here and enjoy some Southern hospitality and warm(er) weather, they might move too.
    I like your thinkin Astro!

i love trail life already, but i also love my off trail life. so ill hike until i want to go home.no plan.i have no problem not finishing. i like to always have something left to do.
    very jealous here
    wholly happy for you too
    all trails lead us home

Mornin..................

Happy Wednesday!
    You guys are posting such flattering pictures of what you think I look like. Oh, are you in for a rude awakening when you finally get to see me in person.

Images

I have spent 3 years of my life in North Cakalacky thank you.....we have the same humidity here in Ct. The Wolf and I were on the same base in '78/79', and in that winter we had a big ole' blizzard down there.When I move it will be to a place with Cut throat trout or Baracudas

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I like that. My next signature will contain that thought.
    Done........
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 03-13-2013 at 10:25.

Images

Feel like there's so much to answer today, but I'll start here.
    HB I share your dislike of crowds and have had a lot of misgivings about starting in the herd.
    I considered really early starts but decided no as I have no experience of snow and thought I should avoid the extra unknown it involved.
    I considered a late start but the idea of having to "push" at the end to make Katahdin on time didn't appeal.
    Then I thought a bit more about why I was hiking the AT.
    It is a unique trail in that it has such a long history and so many newbs attempting it.
    I figured that spending the first month or so in the herd was actually what the ying and yang of the AT was all about.
    So I picked a start date in the middle and decided to revel in it.
    I did opt for a quietish day so my first day or two won't be too embarassing for me, but I intend to sit back and enjoy the lectures, gear critiques and tales of woe etc.
    And yes, we have a tent each so that we don't have to crowd in when we feel uncomfortable.
    After TrailDays is when I expect the hiking will get serious (oops Coach - snerious).

CR, the positive will he developed along with the viral marketing it will produce (such as your post above) may in the end be worth as much as the shirts he gave away. I am sure he did for the right reason, just saying in the long run he may be rewarded for it. The key like anything in life is see the big picture and treat people right.
    I'm sure it will pay off in the long run, but so will being a genuine nice guy. I doubt he did it for that reason.

Hello CR... nice trip report. Sorry you were sicko! Good to hear from ya!
    Even more fun, a whole new bug to start out this week. At least this is just hacking and coughing. I can live with that.

All in all I enjoyed it, even though it didn't seem like much of a vacation what with the class taking up most of it.

Images

Coach - Australian/American dictionary not required.
    We have so much US TV here, we can understand you (even some people from Florida ATM), and we can talk in a way you understand.
    We can probably also lapse into a slang that you completely DON'T understand.

Images

Lone Wolf - I have intended to drop in on the way down and say hello.
    Not sure whether Damascus is an overnight stop on the car trip and The Place is not an option for car travellers, but a quick hello is definitely planned.
    HB coming along means we will be guided largely by his preferences but a stop in Damascus to look around is a locked in option.
    Reason HB's preferences will be main decision on anything else is that it's all new to us so we will happily look at what piques his interest mostly.

++ New Posts ++