WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'll post this because it hasn't been mentioned yet. Buy your footwear larger than you think you need.
    I run in size 10.5 running shoes. I typically hike in size 11.5 trail runners, in a wide width, and just use the insoles that come with them.
    I used to always get blisters when hiking more than a few hours. Getting footwear a bit large completely cured me. I don't think I have had a single blister since I made this switch, and I would never have thought to do it if I didn't see the suggestion on this site a few years ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    I'll post this because it hasn't been mentioned yet. Buy your footwear larger than you think you need.
    I run in size 10.5 running shoes. I typically hike in size 11.5 trail runners, in a wide width, and just use the insoles that come with them.
    + 1 on this. I wear a 9 or 9 1/2 shoe, but a 10 1/2 hiking shoe. I adjust the lacing so it's fairly tight in the first eye high up on my foot, very loose lower, as long as my heel doesn't slip. May have to adjust laces going downhill to make sure my foot doesn't slide forward. Makes a big difference.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 07-11-2012 at 05:38.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Whatever you wear, take a small bottle of New Skin to apply to blisters when you get them, which you most likely will.

Make your own custom inserts: http://www.instructables.com/id/cust...d-gel-insoles/

It may solve your problems, and won't cost a lot to try.

Images

I used trail runners with superfeet insoles and for blisters used duct tape and vaseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Try using some Hyrdopel. Apply the ointment to the areas of the foot prone to blisters the night before and in the morning before hiking. It's used by triathaletes and marathon runners, and it works.

Would it help to use this for a few weeks before hiking?

I switched from boots to hiking shoes, and I still get blisters. (But, I do blister easily. My hands are blistered up from weeding. - Trying to get them healed by applying ointment several times a day to blisters and keeping them moist, so they will be better by the time I hit the trails in a couple of weeks.)

Are trail runners that much different than hiking shoes...for those prone to blisters? (Note: my ankles, knock on wood, are strong)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++