WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Boots or insert or what ever for Blisters

My friend have pointed out that because I get chronicblisters I should get custom boots. I talked to the custom boot maker and hesaid I need insert. Ok I was willing to go that route but he was in anotherpart of the county and I would have to stay in the area for a week in order toget them fitted properly. Does anyonehave a clue what to do? I have a b-c width foot and a narrow heel. Was going totry women’s boots but that do not come in a size 12. Getting blisters on theheal and balls of my feet. So I amputting it out there. Oh yes I have triedsuper feet custom molded inserts, special lacing techniques, and threedifferent brands of socks. Put duct tapeon before the hike started , Did have alittle success with the moleskin on the balls of my feet before hikestated. Any answer, voodoo doctors,feet gurus?

It is possible that there is no fix for your feet. If all the likely remedies fail to fix the problem and you still end up with what I call 911 feet then you may have to alter your behavior. Lighten the load, shorten the distance, cut back on the hikes. If a foot doctor can't fix it with hand made custom boots or inserts and you have purchased all manner of shoe, boot and insert. For most of us, the repeated blisters develope into thick callus buildup and the end of the blisters. That's most of us, not all of us.

I used to get cronic blisters with my boots. Tried many different kinds - vasque, asolo, garmont, timberland, keen, treksta, etc. Finally stumbled upon brooks cascadia trail tennis shoes with midweight merino wool smartwool socks. No more blisters. (I had to also go ultralight with my packload - 25 lbs total.) Hope you find a solution.

Images

spokes had suggested on another thread you soak your feet in black tea, the tannic acid toughens the skin. i never tried it, but i dont get too many blisters.

Images

ive also sworn off "hiking socks" they make my feet sweat too much, ive gone with thinner socks, and have been blister free the last few years.

Images

I too had the blisters. Tried a pair of runners, and hiking has been fun ever since.

Images

I don't know a cure for those types of blisters. It doesn't seem to be due to bad shoes. I think it's because your feet weren't tough enough for you to use them like you did, and you didn't air them out enough. Boots can be much hotter and moister than trail running shoes, which would have made airing out your feet even more important. Your feet simply over heated.

I'd take some time off to let those feet heal. Walking around in sandals might help thicken your skin quickly, at least that seems to be the case with my huaraches from www.invisibleshoe.com.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Another vote for trail runners. Have you tried those? Boots are ... boots..

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trail runners. Much more comfort for your feet. And dry out your feet and insoles EVERY time you stop.
    Be sure to be fitted correctly at a professional running shop if you go that route.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am blister prone as well. Went from boots (stubbornly stuck to them too long) to trail runners and now to sandals.

Never been happier than I am with sandals on my feet. I highly recommend you try it. Hiked in all weather with them, including some snow (not dead of winter mind ya) but for three seasons of the year? You bet. Sandals. Finding the right pair is important, few rub points, decent construction. When hiking long distances I wear socks with them and in cold wet weather, seal skinz.

And if you stay with boots or shoes, as others recommend, cheap dress socks are all you need. Wal-Mart variety.

Hiking socks are like Nike Tennis Shoes, over-engineered and unnecessary.

Images

I disagree with the thoughts on socks. All of my regular socks are too loose. I tried a pair of Darn Tough. They stay put on my sweaty feet no matter what I do.

Also stuck to heavy leather boots way too long and my feet suffered.......went to a more lightweight tennis shoe type boot and problems went away. Second skin helps not only to cover up blisters but to fill up any friction spots in your shoes before you get a problem. I personally like the short summer type synthetic athletic socks you can get at REI or any athletic store.

I don't think I would go for custom shoes from a doctor for backpacking. Yea, those things can be great for those who need it for everyday use, but the ones I have seen are not really something that would stand up to a lot of hiking in mud and rocks. Not $600 worth anyway.

Journal Entries

Will look into the trail runner and I am trying tolighten the load. Down to 40 pound now but looking to get it down to 35 lbs.What about lateral support. Some
    type of air splint?

I used to blister horribly as well and heard the same things. Get better boots. Then get fitted boots. Then wear sock liners. Then don't wear sock liners. Then wear these kind of socks. Then it was superfeet insoles. Yahda yahda yahda.

My blistering problems went away when I switched to wide width trail runners that I lace very loosely in the toe box and only tighter where I tie them. I ditched all forms of hiking socks for regular grey socks from Wal Mart. I also make an effort to hike at about 80% of whatever speed I would consider fast for me for the terrain I am in.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Unless you have bad ankles, I would leave the braces at home. I have gotten far more support from my hiking poles than I ever did from boots.

What about taping and wrapping blister prone areas with something like Leukotape, Hypafix, or Elastikon tape? I dont have blister problems, but I know a lot of runners that do and swear by it. Thoughts?

Trail runners for me, prior to them I had custom made Limmer boots which have a good reputation. I still got blisters. Switched to trail runners and blisters are extremely rare. I too have heard the soaking feet in strong tea approach but havent tried it.

Journal Entries

Will check out the Brooks. Thinner sock? Will most likely do taped stirrups and prewrap if I go to a trail runner since I am only looking for prevention and notsupport. Should I wear the gaiters over the top. All great idea but want to hear all the ideaso keep it coming.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McFrancis View Post
    Will most likely do taped stirrups and prewrap if I go to a trail runner since I am only looking for prevention and notsupport. Should I wear the gaiters over the top.
    Ankle support is needed because of boots..they weaken the ankles. Try strengthening the ankles before hiking..theres lots of simple exercises you can do anywhere, including standing on one foot. Carrying less weight is best the fix...if you wear trail runners or light hikers (or even boots) with too much weight you will have foot issues...

Gaiters are personal preference, I used to use them but don't anymore.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Try using some Hyrdopel. Apply the ointment to the areas of the foot prone to blisters the night before and in the morning before hiking. It's used by triathaletes and marathon runners, and it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++