WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to stay near Salisbury, Cornwall Bridge or Kent?

My friend and I are SoBo and looking for a place to grab a shower and a night's rest in CT. We are picking up our drop box in Salisbury after a 6 day hike, but the choices there seem limited (expensive). Any recommendations? We are flexible and would be willing to hike a few extra days to another town.

Is Maria still accepting people? (I haven't seen a post on her for a couple of years)

Thanks, y'all!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid Arnold View Post
    My friend and I are SoBo and looking for a place to grab a shower and a night's rest in CT. We are picking up our drop box in Salisbury after a 6 day hike, but the choices there seem limited (expensive). Any recommendations? We are flexible and would be willing to hike a few extra days to another town.

Is Maria still accepting people? (I haven't seen a post on her for a couple of years)

Thanks, y'all!
    Cornwall Bridge, The Hitching Post No-tell Motel. I stay there during Hockey season, clean and cheap, not 1.5 mile from the trail. Go left at Rt. 4, cross the Housatonic, go right south on Rt. 7. here is the phone #860-672-6219.

Images

Yes, Maria is cutting back, but still taking in hikers. I left my vehicle with her and stayed there this past May.

Very nice lady, lovely house, not expensive and includes a cook your own breakfast. Please do not stiff her, she has had that happen this past year - unforgivable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Yes, Maria is cutting back, but still taking in hikers. I left my vehicle with her and stayed there this past May.

Very nice lady, lovely house, not expensive and includes a cook your own breakfast. Please do not stiff her, she has had that happen this past year - unforgivable.
    Who and where is Maria?

Images

Also, if you stay with Maria, she is having some trouble doing the housework, changing beds, climbing stairs. Anything you can do to make her work easier is greatly appreciated. I made sure to strip the bed and bring all soiled bedding/towels down to the bottom of the stairs for her to save her a trip. She was very surprised and thankful.

Images

Maria MaCabe. Between the trail and the town proper of Salisbury. She takes hikers into her home. If I remember correctly, it was $30 or $35 dollars per night, included a clean, comfortable bed, shower, nice covered porch and back yard, the breakfast, plus she will do local shuttles to restaurant/grocery. She is listed in the AT Guide. Has been a very, very good friend to hikers for many years.

Images

New hostel this year called Bearded Woods. Will pick up in Salisbury, Cornwall Bridge and Falls Village. I believe cost is $50 per person. Includes dinner, breakfast and laundry. Call Hudson or Big Lu at (860)480-2966 Great comments from NOBO's who stayed there.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    New hostel this year called Bearded Woods. Will pick up in Salisbury, Cornwall Bridge and Falls Village. I believe cost is $50 per person. Includes dinner, breakfast and laundry. Call Hudson or Big Lu at (860)480-2966 Great comments from NOBO's who stayed there.
    That's the guy, I picked up his card a few months ago but couldn't find it to post. What town is he actually in?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    That's the guy, I picked up his card a few months ago but couldn't find it to post. What town is he actually in?
    Someone told me he is near the Lime Rock racetrack. I think that is between Canaan and Sharon, CT.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Someone told me he is near the Lime Rock racetrack. I think that is between Canaan and Sharon, CT.
    The race track is about a mile or so from the High school in Falls Village, you walk right by the school.

Newly opened 2012

Bearded Woods
    One of Kind Bunk & Dine
    Serving Cornwall Bridge, W.Cornwall, Falls Village & Salisbury, CT.
    Opened May 15th through Sept. 15th.

One price $50pp Includes:
    Shuttle to and from trailhead or any road crossing within the area we serve.
    Hot Shower w/amenties, clean bed w/linens, laundry (we take care of), family style dinner & breakfast prepared by Big Lu.
    Smoking outside and prior arrangements for hikers with dogs.In a private setting.
    Call by 5:30pm and Dinner served by 7pm.For this season: We offer mail drop pick up service to all the towns we service. Post Office counter hours are 8:30-4:30 (closed from 1-2) M-F and 9-12 Sat.
    (no addt'l cost).

Call or text Hudson at 860-480-2966.

Additional services: Short term resupplies, stove fuel & Doc Woods.

Slack packs & shuttle service from Kent, CT to Great Barrington, MA $1 per mile
    Shuttle service also provided to MetroNorth Train station in Wassaic, NY $1 per mile

Call or text Hudson at 860-480-2966.

"Life's to short to only travel on paved roads".

GA-ME 2011
    Images

"family style dinner & breakfast prepared by Big Lu."

You got somebody named Big Lu cooking you just know your gonna eat good!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Thanks Chainsaw for posting our dessert.

Bearded Woods

I am passing through there next month and would like to check it out. Can you give us a trail mileage # for where you are located? IE....Kent is at CT route 341 mile 1461.2, Hitching Post Hotel is at CT route 4 crossing at mile 1472.3, West Cornwall road is at 1477.1

Thanks.

We pick up anywhere from CT 4 mile 1472.3 to Undermoutain Road mile 1494.6. We are located closest to the trailhead in Falls Village mile 1483.8.

Call or text Hudson 860-480-2966.

Thank you, Big Lu

Bearded Woods
    One of a Kind Bunk& Dine.

Images

I loved staying with Maria McCabe. She was in her 80s and just a wonderful person. She uses the money she makes on hikers to keep her taxes paid on the big house. She needs all the help she can get.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I loved staying with Maria McCabe. She was in her 80s and just a wonderful person. She uses the money she makes on hikers to keep her taxes paid on the big house. She needs all the help she can get.
    I'd be partial to Maria, too, though I've not yet met her. She's legendary not only among the trail community, but also in Salisbury. Mention the trail to a local there, and her name comes up right away without fail, in my experience.

PS: Straying from topic a bit, but it might help the OP to know that the water conditions in that area are as dry as I've ever seen them this time of year, both along the A.T. corridor and around Southern New England. I hiked from the CT/MA border to Bear Rock Falls and back yesterday, plus a short scramble from Mt. Washington Road to a waterfall near Lion's Head, and I was struck by how low the water is. Watch the weather - if it doesn't rain quite a bit between now and when you come here, you'll want to keep a hawk's eye out on your hike for good, running water. If in doubt as to whether you need it at a crossing, I'd say err in favor of cameling up.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

I found maria by accident 2 yrs. ago on a cold rainy March day. I was asking about a plce to stay and a neighbor pointed me to her house. I sign at door said come on in I'll be back in an hour. She is a very trusting women, hikers are her family.

Images

My friend and I stayed with Hudson and his wife, Big Lou (Lu?), twice and I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed our time there. First of all, Big Lou should really be called Tiny Lou and not only is she much more attractive than her name might suggest, she is a fabulous cook and very gracious hostess. From the moment you meet them, you know they understand what a hiker needs and they've dedicated themselves to providing a restful and rejuvinating experience. Once you enter their new hostel you'll be amazed, not only by Hudson's woodworking craftsmanship, but also by the attention paid to every little detail. After choosing a bunk, you are given an individual laundry bag and in almost no time your clothes reappear freshly washed and dryed. The bathroom is stocked with toothpaste, deodorant, soap and shampoo...things usually missing in other places. The place is super clean, again, unlike most other hiker-friendly establishments. Dinner is family style and includes your choice of beer or wine, salad, bread, main course, and desert....all homemade. The atmosphere is casual and relaxed and the conversation went on long after dinner was done. Breakfast the next morning was equally delicious and featured "Tiny" Lou's soon-to-be-famous egg pie. She even cooked up extra meat for my dog and sent him off with a "doggie bag" including a marrow bone freshly smoked, and a giant biscuit. Bodhi is still carrying that bone with hime everywhere. Although I hadn't expected to spend the second night there, I fell two days later from the top of Bear Mountain and needed to take some time off. Not only was Hudson willing to pick me up, he even hiked out to meet me in order to make sure I was OK and to bring me something cold to drink. Bearded Woods has raised the standard for what a hostel can be. They are still working on a website so I've uploaded some pictures here on this site in case anyone is interested in taking a look. Just keep in mind the pics truly do not do the place justice.
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Maria MaCabe. Between the trail and the town proper of Salisbury. She takes hikers into her home. If I remember correctly, it was $30 or $35 dollars per night, included a clean, comfortable bed, shower, nice covered porch and back yard, the breakfast, plus she will do local shuttles to restaurant/grocery. She is listed in the AT Guide. Has been a very, very good friend to hikers for many years.
    I stayed with her. Very nice and comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++