WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Awol 2013 AT Guide

anybody know when the 2013 guide comes out?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Last year they were out in mid January.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

AWOL sometimes is on WB and will answer questions about his guide but you can contact him through his web site. http://www.theatguide.com/
    DH is correct the guide usually ships just after the first of the year.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

In my opinion, absolutely the best AT Guide Book out there and I have them all. Really looking forward to the new edition as I've almost worn my 2012 out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Calhoun View Post
    anybody know when the 2013 guide comes out?
    I'm guessing the author/publisher does! ~wink~ And yes, it's a great guide.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

i have heard nothing but great thinks about his guide. i am a fan of his book as well so i thought i would give it a chance for my 2013 thru hike

The books are indeed coming out in mid to late January. Last year, they came out on January 21st, so I suspect it will be close to the same date.

I have corresponded with AWOL (great guy) and the fastest way to get your AT 2013 Guide Book is to preorder it in November 2012. AWOL will even be offering a discount for doing so!! This is the kind of guy that AWOL is: The books are printed in NC and the day that the books came off the presses, he and a friend drove up from FL with several hundred pre-labeled mailers. They picked up the books and literally stood in the PO putting the books in the mailers and getting them out ASAP.

I will try to keep everyone posted as to when the books are available to pre-order. And listen. I am not related to AWOL and I am sure that he wouldn't claim me if I was. But everyone on WB knows that I pretty much tell it like it is. There are two "AT Guide Books" that are published each year. THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT! I ordered both so that I could compare them and I actually sent the Thru Companion back to Amazon. Absolutely no comparison in terms of the information included.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    In my opinion, absolutely the best AT Guide Book out there and I have them all. Really looking forward to the new edition as I've almost worn my 2012 out.
    not surprising given all the hiking youve been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    that's funny right there

But everyone on WB knows that I pretty much tell it like it is. There are two "AT Guide Books" that are published each year. THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT! I ordered both so that I could compare them and I actually sent the Thru Companion back to Amazon. Absolutely no comparison in terms of the information included.
    the Companion is just as good AWOLs book. matter of fact both books have way too much info

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the Companion is just as good AWOLs book. matter of fact both books have way too much info
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    You are absolutely right. Let me get on a plane and fly 1800 frickin' miles so that I can step foot on the AT and shut you and LW up! Jeez. I hike plenty in AZ!

But you have made a good point because there are a lot of people who are just like me. They aren't familiar with every mile of the AT. They Want to plan at least a little of their trip and find out what hostels/hotels/campgrounds are out there. They want to know about the services within the trail towns.

The Thru-Hikers' Companion Guide Book:

Does NOT list all the hostels, restaurants, and hotels in the area.
    Does NOT show diagram of the hills you will be facing, but does show elevation.
    Info IS really spread out unlike AWOL's where the info is all on a page or two for each area.

My advice is to buy AWOL's if you are not familiar with the AT. The Thru-Hikers' Companion IS cheaper, but not better in my opinion. And probably not that much cheaper if you get the discount. Just remember that you are going to be using this book for at least 6 months

back in the day before internet, books and videos, we walked the trail with the Data Book and Philosophers Guide and had no problems. nobody planned for years. way too much info these days. you want info in a town? ask a local

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    back in the day before internet, books and videos, we walked the trail with the Data Book and Philosophers Guide and had no problems. nobody planned for years. way too much info these days. you want info in a town? ask a local
    No cell phone either...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    No cell phone either...
    ...or shuttle services, hostels or trail feeds at every road crossing

I enjoy seeing David at Trial Days every year. His guide is easy to follow and the one I will be using. I'm hoping to create a pdf version for personal use and leave the pages at home.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

These guys are "AT Neanderthals." And they have brilliantly illustrated my point. IF you do not want to plan; if instead you want to find a "local" and hope that he is a tour guide and is capable of giving you directions; if you have no need of staying in the hostels or knowing where the resupply points are - do not buy this book.

LW-What's your shuttle #?? We'll just let them call you instead.

These guys are "AT Neanderthals." And they have brilliantly illustrated my point. IF you do not want to plan; if instead you want to find a "local" and hope that he is a tour guide and is capable of giving you directions; if you have no need of staying in the hostels or knowing where the resupply points are - do not buy this book.

LW-What's your shuttle #?? We'll just let them call you instead.
    you're gonna have a difficult time on the trail honey

I could make do without a comprehensive guide and do ok with a data book and a map but I'd really hate to not have my phone.

Really what I like about having a book more than anything is for water sources. Towns you can kinda figure out based on size, proximity to major highways, and talking to other hikers.

I carry a guide like everyone else though....

Images

You are absolutely right. Let me get on a plane and fly 1800 frickin' miles so that I can step foot on the AT and shut you and LW up! Jeez. I hike plenty in AZ!

But you have made a good point because there are a lot of people who are just like me. They aren't familiar with every mile of the AT. They Want to plan at least a little of their trip and find out what hostels/hotels/campgrounds are out there. They want to know about the services within the trail towns.

The Thru-Hikers' Companion Guide Book:

Does NOT list all the hostels, restaurants, and hotels in the area.
    Does NOT show diagram of the hills you will be facing, but does show elevation.
    Info IS really spread out unlike AWOL's where the info is all on a page or two for each area.

My advice is to buy AWOL's if you are not familiar with the AT. The Thru-Hikers' Companion IS cheaper, but not better in my opinion. And probably not that much cheaper if you get the discount. Just remember that you are going to be using this book for at least 6 months
    the trail changes every year, which is why there are new guidebooks every year. next year's trail will not be the same as this year, so, youve effectively "worn out" a guidebook to a trail you will never hike. congrats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++