WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Well I'm a firm believer in full disclosure.

**Lifts kilt**
    Two WB montras, don't lurk, and don't be a pecker checker.hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Two WB montras, don't lurk, and don't be a pecker checker.hehehe
    And no flashing!

yep, let the turning earth hang the moon.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    If your goal was to thru hike a trail and you fail to do that then by definition you did not meet your goal. But, the whole effort could be a success in that you had fun, found yourself, lost yourself, learned you hated walking, learned the value of training or preparation etc. I personally would have had a very hard time rationalizing calling my thru hike a success had I failed to make it the entire way, but I am also extremely goal oriented.
    Then of course, you might just change your goal as you go along -- something that wise people routinely do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    That speaks volumes of WB in general, there's a whole lot of self justification goin' on. A Good ol Boy Club that often supports one anothers misinformation, while creating 'facts'. They justify one another's right to tell people they have never met, that they are inhumane, cruel, inconsiderate & a nuisance to have their companion dog on the trail. Some of the attacks on WB are far more vicious then any dog attack on the AT. Usually the same Good ol Boys that want to look under a man's kilt, or argue that no one should call themself a 'thru hiker' until they complete a thru hike, no joke. Look at their number of posts, lots of opinion, little substance, it's a wonder they ever get time to exercise such expertise. They wear out two keyboards for every pair of boots. Talks cheap, cows cost money. Rant complete.
    Since you quoted my post preceding your rant, let me say, Dude, you missed the point.

I define success as not working and if your on the trail doing a thru then you obviously aren't working so SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

////////////////////
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-09-2012 at 09:39. Reason: not germaine to the thread
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Marta - I just finished reading your journal yesterday. It was amazing! ​Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Thank you marta That was very well said.
    Thanks!

A few stray thoughts I had during this weekend's hike:

"Fun" is a shallow and transient sensation, it's what a child experiences for a few minutes in a bouncy castle. An activity which lasts for six months had a lot more going on than "fun."

I can't think of a hiring memoir which describes a hike I would summarize as being "fun." my favorite title is Model T's, Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery. That pretty much says it all.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    Some of the attacks on WB are far more vicious then any dog attack on the AT.
    That is quite the statement. Do you actually believe typed words on a computer equate to actual teeth in flesh or don't you even think about what you are typing?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    That is quite the statement. Do you actually believe typed words on a computer equate to actual teeth in flesh or don't you even think about what you are typing?
    If you read his statement, Thirsty used the word, "vicious." He didn't say that they were more physically debilitating. And I think your post clearly proves his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    An activity which lasts for six months had a lot more going on than "fun."

I can't think of a hiring memoir which describes a hike I would summarize as being "fun." my favorite title is Model T's, Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery. That pretty much says it all.
    Actually Walkin on the Happy side of Misery is also my favorite book and his fun and hysterical thru is exactly how I'd describe it. My thru was fun, even the hard parts. Once I was riding in the back of a pickup into town so hypothermic my speech was slurred and sooo tired I could hardly move thinking damn this is fun. Completing a thru often causes people to become waaaaay over serious about it. As Lone Wolf often says "it's just walking".

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    If you read his statement, Thirsty used the word, "vicious." He didn't say that they were more physically debilitating. And I think your post clearly proves his point.
    OK, I looked up vicious and I got it right. Teeth are over words.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    I define success as not working and if your on the trail doing a thru then you obviously aren't working so SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BINGO, so simple and yet so elegant.

OK, I looked up vicious and I got it right. Teeth are over words.
    LOL Good try. The primary meaning (you know, the words next to the little number 1) is Deliberately cruel or violent. ​Your "call of the wild" meaning is secondary.

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...w=1024&bih=672

At times some people need to feed their ego at someone elses expense. They bend, twist, stretch, spin, even redefine, the truth;a statement; or situation, to flex themselves and feel good. Which was the point of my rant. I do think about what I write & choose my words carefully, you should try it sometime. Thanks for demonstrating my point. Words can be "spiteful; malicious", (from the dicionary's definition of vicious), words can even scar.

Chief Dude, I didn't miss you point. I was rabbit trailing it to make mine.

Images

Did I tell you folks about the new trekking poles I got... they have a secret compartment to store my 2 piece chop sticks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Did I tell you folks about the new trekking poles I got... they have a secret compartment to store my 2 piece chop sticks!
    where do you put the via?
    we need to start an arguing over semantics thread, or go back to the thread drift thread. or something.

if i wake up in the morning, and noone is throwing dirt on my face, thats success. then i set the same goal for tomorrow.

Images

Well before Via, I had this really cool mini perculator. Coffee weighed a ton. Sugar cubes, cooler for the Half & Half, beans and the grinder. Now I took the grounds basket out, stuff every thing in the Pot..... ultra-light coffee!

Journal Entries

If you hike the A.T. and enjoy it no matter how far you go, it is a success.

SUCCESS, n.
    The one unpardonable sin against one's fellows.

Bierce, Ambrose. The Devil's Dictionary

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++