WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A similar weather event happened the summer of 99 or 2000, not quite sure which summer. We were headed to Elly MN to canoe the boundry waters with our scout troop. Even though we were miles away the night of, we were on the edge of the storm on the shores of Lake Huron. The winds came from nowhere and toppled tents with our scouts in them. When we got to Ely were realized how bad it was. All canoe trips were rerouted to the West as everything in the east was devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    My hometown of Newark, Ohio was one of the harder hit towns in the area. about 50,000 people and as of friday night only 1,200 had power. Still 39,000+ without power in the county. I went out after the storm and it was like a maze trying to get around town. Downed trees blocking the streets everywhere. Downed power lines, trees on cars, roofs missing. It's a mess to say the least. The local paper, the Newark Advocate had an article about it in yesterdays paper if anyone's interested. I'd post a link,but I'm not sure how to do it from my phone. They don't expect power to be fully restored until at least July 8th.
    I totally get how hard this situation is. We live on the northshore of New Orleans and all our damage from Katrina was severe wind damage. Power was out for weeks. We lived in our house with only a generator for 4 weeks! Hope you get back to normal much quicker!

Images

Thanks. The power is slowly coming back, I just got it back today, although it could be another 3-5 days for some. while ot has been declared a disater area or state od emergency or something like that,it's not quite Katrina. More of an inconvenience than anything. It'll be back to normal soon. Thanks for your concern though.

I was on the mountain in between TRIMPI shelter and Dickey Gap that evening. I heard the wind in the distance, but noticed the clouds weren't moving. Couldn't figure out what was going on. It went from no wind to blowing 50-60 miles an hour. Then on Sunday morning I was in the shower and the power went out. We ended up getting another round of it, and then again Sunday night.

A derecho hit the Missouri Ozarks in May of 2009 and damaged over 40 miles of the Ozark Trail. Some areas only had 100 blowdown trees per mile, other areas had perhaps 90% of the trees blown down. The trail tread itself was severely altered due to thousands of rootwads uprooted leaving holes. Imagine walking through nothing but fallen trees that have had a "hallway" cut through them, that's what the derecho left.

When all is said and done, I'm thinking this wind is gonna surpass in cost that of a real bad tornado, just because it traveled so much further than tornado's do.

Images

I live in south Carolina, and then storm got us too. Really nasty. I can't believe we didn't have any damage. Lost power for around 8 hours. I can't imagine being outside stuck walking around in that. Hard to find a place to hunker down and be safe, I'm sure.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

my mother in law is still without power, was told it would be next week before she's back online...SE ohio

Andy
    glad I moved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++