WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Too hot to hike!!

What is to hot to hike? I was sitting here thinking its going to be in the upper 90*- 104* on my hike coming up on the 4th july,2012(Springer to neels gap.) I work as a pipefitter so im in the heat everyday, there is a differnce being in the heat working vs hiking/backpacking so I was wondering when does a person just say NO to hiking.HS
    Last edited by hikingshoes; 06-29-2012 at 13:30.

Suppose to hit 105 today in the Piedmont and the mid-90's in the NC mountains.

Too hot for even a bathing suit!!

Not that I don't love my Florida trails.....but, I'd rather be in the mountains at 100 than in the swamp.

I do more biking in the heat, not bad as long as I'm moving and making my own breeze.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    What is to hot to hike? I was sitting here thinking its going to be in the upper 90*- 104* on my hike coming up on the 4th july,2012(Springer to neels gap.) I work as a pipefitter so im in the heat everyday, there is a differnce being in the heat working vs hiking/backpacking so I was wondering when does a person just say NO to hiking.HS
    I to am a Pipefitter,and have drug-up many a job to go hiking/fishing/bar,hehehe,but with hiking you don't have to wear your leathers,and the woods are always prettier than a tank farm and cooler than boiler rooom.take care brother!

I think it also is important to assess how much shade you may have in general. There just isn't that much shade out here in the desert and virtually no water to cool off in, so yes - anything even near 100 is "too hot."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just got back from hiking Roan Mt. back to Erwin this morning.

It was hot and very dry but there was a nice breeze blowing. Very manageable.

Images

I take the summer off from multi-day hiking because I don't tolerate the heat AT ALL especially with a full backpack. It's about 95 here in Wind Gap, PA and I have the AT staring me in the face but I'll wait til Fall to do any big trips. There was a rescue last night here on the AT.....a woman went out about midday for a hike and became dehydrated, fatigued, disoriented and lost. The helicopter/rescue team located her at 11 PM. She was lucky to have her cell phone and service so that the team could locate her thru GPS. She had no idea where she was. I'm sure she's fine now. I wouldn't even go out for a day hike in this heat.....especially beginning at midday.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I to am a Pipefitter,and have drug-up many a job to go hiking/fishing/bar,hehehe,but with hiking you don't have to wear your leathers,and the woods are always prettier than a tank farm and cooler than boiler rooom.take care brother!
    lol I understand that!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

lol,Ok you guys got me thinking about holding off on this hike.

I hiked the Shenandoahs during a heat wave. Springs were flowing, so water wasn't an issue. I would rise early and be hiking by 6 or so, then find a shelter with a spring around noon, grab several more quarts of water, cook dinner, drink liters of water, read the register, and hang out in the shade for four or five hours (maybe more). As it got later, I'd grab some more water and hike at times till an hour or two after dark. There was very little tree cover at the time, thanks to a moth invasion that had devastated several ridgelines, leaving the shadeless skeletons of trees.

It's not that bad if you have plenty of water and can rest in the shade during the worst of the day. If water sources are an issue, it's a different matter entirely.

Yes, it was still hot at night when I tried to sleep, but you do adjust some.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the water is good and the shade for as that goes. I have both a tent and hammock/trap, which i use my hammock for summer anyway. I don't think im going to use my UQ on this hike.

Images

from a comfort standpoint, after awhile i stop noticing it. it just makes me tired quicker. i did the southernmost 23 miles of MD on a day when at low elevation out of the shade the temp probably topped 100 in HF.

A few of us WBers are hiking together in Shenandoah July 7-9 when temps should moderate, at least according to the 10 day forecast. If we were hiking a week earlier, I'd cancel.

I was supposed to section hike next week from the James River north to Rockfish Gap to meet the guys but I've changed my plans with the 100 degree forecast. Instead, heading to the Monongahela National Forest to hike the Cranberry Wilderness or the Laurel Fork Wilderness where it should be cooler.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was just at Harpers Ferry. There seems to be alot of hikers thinking it is 'too hot to hike'. At the Outfitters (which has moved locations) an outside thermometer, in the shade, read 103f. I don't know if it was that hot, but it certainly is HOT!

Drink Lots of water everyone!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations

Images

Temperature extremes at either end of the spectrum can be very dangerous, especially if you aren't conditioned to them and if you aren't properly prepared. In this heat, I would only go if I really thought I would enjoy my trip. After all isn't that the whole point? But if I made the decision to go, I would make sure I carried PLENTY of water and also had very reliable info on water sources on my route, so I could plan water consumption appropriately -- camel up and still carry a good supply. I would also plan for very frequent rest stops and a very moderate pace. Start very early in the morning and take long afternoon rest breaks, and even plan to hike well into the night to beat the heat. You can easily get 8 hours of trail time in every day, and avoid the worst part of the heat. It's all about how you approach your planning.
    Biggie

How To Successfully Backpack the BMT/Hiwassee Trail In The Heat
    ** Remove pack.
    ** Submerge head and face in river.
    ** Breathe deeply 3 times.

TIP ON HOW TO BACKPACK IN THE MUGGY SOUTHEAST
    ** Take frequent breaks.
    ** Hike from shade spot to shade spot.
    ** Do not use a hydration tube or a water bladder, use a water bottle inside your pack as this will encourage you to take frequent off-pack breaks.
    ** Take frequent swims if possible and keep your t-shirt wet with creek water as much as possible.
    ** Submerge in cold creek water and stay in the water until chilled to near hypothermia.
    ** Use herbal bug juice and slather it on in your ears and arms and hair and forehead and neck.
    ** Wear a headnet if needed.
    ** Go hatless in real hot conditions as your head vents tremendous heat.
    ** Avoid eating hot cooked foods or tea.
    ** Use stick incense to repel bugs.
    ** As noted, take cool down breaks when overheated and return to normal, then start up again.
    ** Seek out shade for all reststops and campsites. Shade is your best friend.
    ** Look for copperheads and rattlesnakes and watch where you sit.

Just some pointers I find helpful in this weather.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Walter - do you go on 21 day summer trips?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Walter - do you go on 21 day summer trips?
    Funny you should ask. I just returned from a 22 day hump on the BMT south from Tellico River to Reliance and Big Frog Mt and then back on the same route for pick up at Webb Bros store in Reliance. About 10 days of the trip was miserably hot. And now there's plans for a July romp in the Bald River/Upper Bald wilderness and connecting to Sycamore Creek/Whiggs Meadow to enter the Citico/Slickrock.

I know, it's too hot and I must be nuts but I hope to gain some elevation (the Hiwassee ain't elevated) and stay by water---Slickrock Creek has some great swimholes and the water's always cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ** Remove pack.
    ** Submerge head and face in river.
    ** Breathe deeply 3 times.
    While your head is still underwater?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    While your head is still underwater?

works if you're a blonde.
    go ahead, try it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++