WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What kind of backpack?

I'm looking at a bunch of different packs for a thru hike and was wondering what kind everyone uses and why!

The main things to look for are fit, adequate capacity, and light weight. Their are lots of choices, many of which are great for someone else and awful for you. Give any pack you are considering a thorough "test ride".
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Here is a thread for you to read: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...your-pack-last

Images

I have more than one pack and though not a thru-hiker, I know that some of them switch out packs during their thru-hikes (smaller for warm weather, larger for cold weather).

The MAIN thing I go for is fit and comfort. Some perfectly good brands and packs don't feel good on my back; others feel good. (Similar to shoe brands.)

If the pack fits well and feels good, then next I try to avoid especially large packs. As the saying goes, "if you have room, you will fill it." A smaller pack forces me to make more choices about things NOT to cary.

If it fits well and feels good and is the right size, then I'll choose a brand or store with a good warranty. Packs DO fail on occasion.

I also prefer simpler packs over complicated packs, though I prefer packs with large rather than small outside pockets, including waist belt pockets.

It's all a balancing act, that only you can do for yourself.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 06-27-2012 at 10:20.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I just upgraded to a Gregory Baltero 65 liter pack. This back is great! I like it due to the should harness and how it put all the weight on your hips. Has lots of room and I have no complaints on this pack.

I went to REI and tried on packs for over 1.5 hrs and walked around the store with 30 lbs of stuff until I found the pack I liked. This is the best option.

Images

You'll need to have a rough idea how much your typical daily load will be. Base weight 10 pounds? or 20 pounds? How often will you resupply, every 3 days or 5 days (food)? 1 or 2 liters of water? You can see the difference, 18 pounds or 35 pounds. BIG difference when choosing a pack.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs:1304125
    You'll need to have a rough idea how much your typical daily load will be. Base weight 10 pounds? or 20 pounds? How often will you resupply, every 3 days or 5 days (food)? 1 or 2 liters of water? You can see the difference, 18 pounds or 35 pounds. BIG difference when choosing a pack.
    Very good points. I really feel that the pack is the last thing to get when gearing up. Course I didn't do that at first and traded/bought my way to what I use now.

Mountain Laurel Design Prophet. Its a great frameless pack with just the right features for me. The craftsmanship is excellent and its made in the USA. Love it. However if you have a base weight over 12 or so pounds it probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Pack fit is so different depending on your body. For example, the pack that Barf-Jay loves, sits right on my tail bone, and I would be absolutely miserable with that pack. It is important to try on a few packs to see what works for you. With some companies that are smaller like ULA and Golite, you don't usually get to try their stuff on, but it is returnable if it doesn't fit. REI does a pretty good job in a lot of their stores with pack fitting. If you still aren't sure, maybe rent a pack from them for a weekend trip and see how you like it.

Osprey Atmos 65- good capacity, comfy, bombproof.

'Nuff said.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a deuter act lite. They come in various sizes from 50 L to 75 L.

My favorite features:
    • It's highly adjustable and is able to fit my strangely shaped back.
      • The shoulder straps can be moved up and down.
      • The intersection of the load lifters and pack can be changed, such that the pack can fit a short or tall person.

• The shoulder straps can be taken off.
    • I can take out the skeleton and put the pack in a washing machine.
    • These features are also in the other "act" packs.

I don't know how the durability compares to other packs.
    David Smolinski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeosborne View Post
    I'm looking at a bunch of different packs for a thru hike and was wondering what kind everyone uses and why!
    ULA CDT...55L...17oz! Nuff said!!! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries

Peoples packs are as varied as the people themselves.
    Some use external frame packs that are 20 yrs old. some use small cuben fiber packs that weigh 8oz.

You need a pack that suits YOU and YOUR gear
    As someone else said, your pack is probably the last thing you need to buy. It is imperative to know what your gear weighs, and how much volume it takes up, to select a pack. Also, are you striving to be lightweight, heavy, ultralight, etc. How much food and water will you carry, etc.

we have several packs,a Mountain smith maybe 4000ci,My Kelty 42ooci 4lbs.-4oz,another Kelty that's like 3lb.s somthin ozs.....strange none of these are my dream pack,not sure I'll ever find my dream pack,there all so...always on your back.

Like so many of the others here, I walked around in Hot Springs wearing every pack they had. Did the same thing in Franklin with mostly the same packs. Did the same thing at my local outfitter. Read lots of reviews. Have heard noone say anything good about them and it is heavier than I wish it was, but the North Face Crestone felt better on my back than any other pack I tried. I brought some ballast in and wore it around heavy and felt the same. I haven't done more than day hikes with it yet and hope that I remain happy with it.

Efficient packers using newer, less-bulky gear can really keep things light on 1- or 2-night trips by using a pack in the 20 to 50L range or on 2- to 3-night trips in the 50 to 60L range. Just be aware that packing light requires self-discipline and careful planning. If you can pull it off, though, the light-on-your-feet rewards are fantastic.

osprey atmos 65, 3 lbs 12 oz ,very durable,comfortable,carry all you need,a tad bit heavier than ultra light but still a lighter pack.The frame weight is worth the confort.

Lots of choices! Many good packs! Lots of good info here! I have two external frame packs and a GoLite frameless and I use them all. But there is a new kid on the block and I'm about to make the leap. Sgt Rock just bought this one and it looks good! http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Check out the Osprey Atmos, they made some nice improvements in the new model pack in my opinion. I have loaded 40 lbs and not had a problem, the only thing I don't like is the hipbelt pockets. To me they are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Osprey Atmos 65- good capacity, comfy, bombproof.

'Nuff said.
    ok ive wondered long enough.ive seen people refer to you as spokes the man the legend.so are the pictures of the ladies the trap or the cheese.(grin)

Images

Another vote for the Osprey Atmos 65. I used that pack on both of my thruhikes. It is, without a doubt, the most comfortable pack I have ever used. I got mine at REI so there was no warranty issue at all. I wore mine out both years and REI gave me brand new ones both times. That's kinda hard to beat!
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++