WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I've actually read a number of them, the dog ones anyway because I am trying to decide if I will bring my dog when I thru in a 2015. There is a lot of rediculous commentary I see on here in some sections.

1 in 20 make it

Quote Originally Posted by AAhiker View Post
    I'd be curious at the success ratio aka the OP as well. I have 120ish m/49
    Maybe you should try to remember which troll you are for the day...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    Shoot, I thought WB stood for West bound. That would be a little low.
    i think TOW has the most WEBO AND EABO completions on WB. up in the high thousands i think.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

This thread's subject reminds me of a WB'er a few years ago who was heading to the JMT and bugged us with questions about it for 6 months beforehand.
    I remember going back to my (barebones) records/journals looking for answers and perusing maps finding bailout/resupply points for him.

I'm not complaining as I like doing stuff like that and helping hikes discover some of the wonderful trails in the world that I have experienced.
    But when he later said he quit on the 2nd day, well, I lost a bit of respect for him at that time.

Some people spend a lot more time typing than they do walking.

Personally, I probably have 5 miles per post under my belt but 10 words typed per mile walked.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    This thread's subject reminds me of a WB'er a few years ago who was heading to the JMT and bugged us with questions about it for 6 months beforehand.
    I remember going back to my (barebones) records/journals looking for answers and perusing maps finding bailout/resupply points for him.

I'm not complaining as I like doing stuff like that and helping hikes discover some of the wonderful trails in the world that I have experienced.
    But when he later said he quit on the 2nd day, well, I lost a bit of respect for him at that time.

Personally, I probably have 5 miles per post under my belt but 10 words typed per mile walked.
    its not just here on WB, the world in general is full of people too busy planning things to actually do anything. its like the girl i knew as an undergrad who when introducing herself to class told us all how she was a part time student who was not only working and going to school, but was a double major with 2 minors.... she didnt make the end of the semester. at some point high ambition became an acceptable substitute for actually doing anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    me too. she sure posts enough.
    I think she's writing a book

A word of caution WIA...

Right now you post here more than anyone. I mention this because you remind me of a young lady who 10 years ago or so who was planning a thru and posted on Trailplace - which back then was THE site for the AT. She literally asked questions about EVERYTHING. She started different threads on every piece of gear. She started threads on the psychological part of hiking. Literally everything. She was interested in hiking as light as possible. She even managed to get free food from one of the Power Bar type companies.

She arrived at Springer with a 45 pound pack. At Rainbow Springs NC -- about 100 miles up the trail -- she quit.

So internet forums didn't help her. Do they help others? I don't know. They should, but getting information from the internet is like trying to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant. Most of the hikers I meet haven't even heard of WB. Personally, my first thru was pre-internet. Quit my job and did all my "planning" at nite while I worked off my 2 week notice.

I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.

I'm still trying to sort out some kind of ratio helpful, kind, friendly people to territorial ********s who care more about peeing on everything to make sure noobs know it's theirs.

Oh, wait...I'm not allowed an opinion or to comment. Oops, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    at some point high ambition became an acceptable substitute for actually doing anything.
    But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post

If you do a search on my username you will see that over a year ago I said I was going to hike the Long Trail on August 3rd, 2012.

My shuttle is scheduled to pick me up at 7:00 AM, August 3rd, 2012.

p.s. Barring injury or family emergency I'll finish that bad boy or die trying.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.
    That's probably true, Max, but at least one of us (me) is in a situation where that isn't possible. Next year, during my vacations, I plan to do exactly that, but it will be limited. I'm in an oddball situation though, so I'm just going to make the best of it come 2014. If I make it, awesome. If I don't, so be it. Between now and then I'll keep looking it over and see what I can learn. I was told this place is great for that, so here I am. So far it has been very helpful. I just have to store the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    p.s. Barring injury or family emergency I'll finish that bad boy or die trying.
    Here's hoping for the finish!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Abso-positively-lutely.

That should be a banner on the homepage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly.
    passion is cool that we disagree is cool it's because we care about our trail and backpacking it's respecting each others right to disagree that is sometimes lacking I know that people aren't you here more than I experience on the trail itself but most are here to help

Images

I have hiked about 30 miles of AT and over 300 of FT. Love WB its my way to escape when work is crappy. I daydream alot.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    passion is cool that we disagree is cool it's because we care about our trail and backpacking it's respecting each others right to disagree that is sometimes lacking I know that people aren't you here more than I experience on the trail itself but most are here to help
    I'm wondering if I should I quit my job to do a thru hike?

I have 6 kids who are very sick and I will lose my insurance, plus I have no savings to pay the mortgage while I'm gone. My wife doesn't want me to go either and she said she'd divorce me if I left.

I'm 50 and have been in the same job for 20 years and can retire next year with full benefits and a pension for life.

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????

As soon as you walk a few feet on the AT without a computer you are successful and no longer just a cyberhiker.

<my favorite topic>

<second favorite topic: How much money do I need for a thru hike>

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm wondering if I should I quit my job to do a thru hike?

I have 6 kids who are very sick and I will lose my insurance, plus I have no savings to pay the mortgage while I'm gone. My wife doesn't want me to go either and she said she'd divorce me if I left.

I'm 50 and have been in the same job for 20 years and can retire next year with full benefits and a pension for life.

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????
    bring a gun

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++