WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Default VT North Country Trail

This article just appeared in my newspaper. North Country Trail will hook into Long Trail/AT. Happy hiking!

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/120629877
    Aaron

Images

Great news. Long time coming, long way to go yet.

If anybody is from Vermont or knows about the area of the NCT extension please let me know. I am planning a thru-hike of the NCT in 2013 from ND to VT and I will be filling in the gap between Crown Point and the AT so any info on the area would be appreciated. I am already planning on utilizing Snake Mountain, the TAM, and Skylight Pond Trails to reach the LT down to Maine Junction. Any additional info would be appreciated, thanks.

I work in Middlebury and live just south. I have talked to some folks working on the connectors and I do not belive they are complete yet. I will ask around and post if I find anything out. If they aren't done in time you could always check out the VAST(Vermont Association of Snow Travelers) trails if you want to avoid roads as much as possible. You would have to get permission to cross some of the private right of ways or just go hike stealthily as the trail system is only used in winter. Have fun.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by StriderNCT2013 View Post
    . I am already planning on utilizing Snake Mountain, the TAM, and Skylight Pond Trails to reach the LT down to Maine Junction. Any additional info would be appreciated, thanks.
    I'm not sure what the TAM is (I'm getting ready for the "duh" moment when you tell me), but the hard part will be getting from Snake Mtn. to the public lands in the Breadloaf wilderness/Green Mtn. Nat. Forest. Once in Breadloaf/GMNF, you have loads of options. I've been looking at this too, dreaming... I'd personally head a bit further south and get onto the Moosalamoo trail system and join the LT at the Sucker Brook Trail. Among other things, it would be much drier - you'd be on maintained (but little used for the most part) trails rather than bushwhacking through some very wet areas north of Rte. 125. You can get there on the south side of Rte 125, west of ripton, on the Oak Ridge Trail.

Here's a link to a map:
    http://www.moosalamoo.org/documents/...oMap052708.pdf

Enjoy!

++ New Posts ++