WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    El Sordo
    Images

how many shelters do they have on the trails out west?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    how many shelters do they have on the trails out west?
    There's only one on the Colorado Trail (2 if you count the yurt) and trust me no one would want to sleep there (not the yurt, it's awesome)!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Still I would think a wood camp fire with all it's fly away ash,would start fires much more easily than an alcohol stove.
    You would be correct, which is why there was a campfire ban before they banned alcohol stoves. Still, enough alcohol stoves have started forest fires out west that it's a good idea not to use them when the conditions are as dry as they are and there are so many beetle-kill trees in that area.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Attached is a link for the Trangia 27-5 stove that I use. You could use this in a match factory. It has a base and windscreen for the stove. It is a little heavy but it makes up for that with convenience. To me a ban on all alcohol stoves doesn't make sense.

http://www.trangia.se/english/5614.27_series_ul.html

if a wick type alcohol gets tips it not make a ground fire best type to use

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    I'm really tryin hard to figure just what it is your saying here,could you resubmit....please!
    ps drinkinking isoprpyl alcohol can be hazardous to your health.

I have a Caldera Cone that I have used a lot. It weighs 2.3 ounces including the windscreen and takes a little over 6 minutes to get a one liter pot boiling. A 355 ml bottle of Heet weighs 13 ounces and if I am careful will last me a week. Total weight is 15.3 ounces.

I also have a Snowy Peak Iso/Propane stove. It weighs 2.2 ounces. A large sized gas container (220g) weighs 12.9 ounces and lasts me 8 days. It will boil a liter of water in about 4-1/2 minutes. Total weight is 15.1 ounces with a full cannister.

The gas stove is lighter, faster, and safer by virtue of it being more controllable. It certainly boils water faster. Downside is the fact that I have a tendency to waste gas. If I hike 6 days to a re-supply then I usually start again with a full cannister rather than carrying the extra weight of one full and one nearly empty. I try to save the part empty ones and finish them off when car camping or floating. When on the CDT I gave a couple to a truck driver I met in Rawlins - he cooks in his cab with a Jetboil. If you punch holes in the empties they can be recycled. In all fairness, Heet bottles are #2 recyclable as well.

In any event, in a high fire year such as this one I have no problem putting the alcohol stove away in favor of the gas one.

So why aren't we banning cars? Why aren't we banning bombs and guns? They do a lot more damage than an alcohol stove. Another case where civil disobedience needs to be exercised. I will be using my mini bull design wick alcohol stove this summer. I eat for real food, not processed minute rice. Clear a 3 foot area around your stove and have water ready to put out some crazy uncontrollable situation. If you stay with your stove the whole time, it would be near impossible to start a fire. All you ultra light backpackers know we use the space between our ears to keep safe and keep our land pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by rastayogi View Post
    So why aren't we banning cars? Why aren't we banning bombs and guns?
    Already banned on the Continental Divide Trail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Another case where civil disobedience needs to be exercised. I will be using my mini bull design wick alcohol stove this summer.
    That civil disobedience stuff could get expensive when they catch you using an illegal stove while your off-leash dog chases elk through the wilderness.

"Violations of these prohibitions are punishable as a Class B misdemeanor by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. (16 U.S.C. § 551 and 18 U.S.C §'§ 3559 and 3571)."

Clear a 3 foot area around your stove and have water ready to put out some crazy uncontrollable situation. If you stay with your stove the whole time, it would be near impossible to start a fire. All you ultra light backpackers know we use the space between our ears to keep safe and keep our land pristine.
    No, not all hikers, UL or otherwise, use the space between their ears. And many hikers are much more careless (including UL hikers) with their stoves and do NOT follow the steps you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    I'm really tryin hard to figure just what it is your saying here,could you resubmit....please!
    ps drinkinking isoprpyl alcohol can be hazardous to your health.
    I've gone ahead and cleaned it up a little,hope that's ok'

If a wick type alcohol stove gets tipped over,it's not going to make a ground fire,and is the best type to use.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-20-2012 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Just think, we may have to go retro---

Or Cambells Bean & Bacon soup...right out of the can.ummm good!

Or Cambells Bean & Bacon soup...right out of the can.ummm good!
    I was gonna put up a big pic of Dinty Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I was gonna put up a big pic of Dinty Moore.
    Yep,but the ultralighters won't go for such a big can,wonder what the'll carry in a marshall law situation....

I read all the articles I could find on this.

This man said: he had the alcohol stove sitting on a rock and the wind blew it over, the fire spread quickly, he could not put it out, there was no cell phone service, he ran out to get help.

I don't believe his account:
    1. windy? have windscreen or put stove somewhere protected from wind.
    1. put stove on a rock, really? It is windy, I will perch my stove higher up on a rock.
    3. fire spred too quickly? he can't kick dirt on the stove or on the flames?
    4. there was no cell phone service? it is someone else's fault, no cell phone service
    5. he ran out to get help? he ran away.

He was on a day hike trail for bicyclists.

Everything about "his story" is doubtful. He is making hot food on a day-hike?

I never day hike on bicycle trails.

I never have hot food or a hot drink on a day hike.

(If I am snowshoeing, out and back, I may take a thermos.)

I think he was just screwing around. I really think he was just screwing around "playing with fire".

I notice he "lawyered-up" really fast. I think he knows he should get criminal prosecution.

Journal Entries
    Images

Connie, please stop trying to rationalize someone who has made a mistake on a nuclear scale. He screwed up. So be it. We all want to be right and analyze and I am so guilty of doing the same thing. There will come a time when reading the articles will not be so important. There will never be a chance that you will do the same thing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am 65 this month. I haven't once had a fire get away from me.

And, yes, I have seen the youTube idiot videos. I try to comment in a constructive manner.

I am so angry this man did this.

I am angry any rules are changed because of this incident: an ON/OFF stove doesn't solve the problem, eg. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ve-alternative
    Last edited by Connie; 06-21-2012 at 01:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++