WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

By the way I did a little research on which mail carrier would be least expensive to send mail drops. The total cost to mail a 10 lb. box is of course dependent on the distance, but for my example, I'm sending my resupply boxes from Port Clinton Ohio to Manchester Center Vt.

The USPS large flat rate Priority box, 12x12x6", can just hold 5 days of food and will weigh 10 lbs. the cost is $14.65

The exact same size plain cardboard box shipped UPS at 10 lbs. cost $19.60. However one must remember the USPS flat rate box is always $14.65 whether it weighs 0.5 or 50 lbs. If it fits it ships.

The same sized UPS box cost is based on weight, therefore the break even weight is 7 lbs. If you box is less than 7 lbs, then it is cheaper to send UPS. If it weighs more than 7 lbs, then use the flat rate USPS box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Can anyone offer advice regarding resupplying liquor on the LT? I plan to start in Jay and head south with a 6-day supply of Kentucky happy hour happiness. But then what?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

FYI, just reconfirmed the Jonesville PO will be open through August 31st.

side note: anyone know the first spot NOBO to snag a canister of fuel. trying to decide if i should pack an extra or if i can find one soon enough on the trail.

Images

Another side note. Water is getting scarce in some parts. Talk to people going other way to find out where. Some shelters were down to small trickle or puddle last week, but with fore-warning you can find it before you intent to camp & carry it a bit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    side note: anyone know the first spot NOBO to snag a canister of fuel. trying to decide if i should pack an extra or if i can find one soon enough on the trail.
    50 miles north of the VT/MA border Manchester Ctr has two outfitters that can provide most any kind of fuel you need.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

thanks jeff. i forgot there was an EMS at Manch center. good stuff.

Journal Entries

I just completed the LT nobo last week (it was amazing!) - I definitely overplanned and ended up not using any of the mail drops I had set up. Instead I just hitched into towns and shopped; this way I could buy the foods I was craving at the time, and adjust for how much hungrier I got after the initial week or so. I resupplied in the following towns: Manchester Center, Rutland (use the Inn at Long Trail, it's incredible), Waitsfield, and Morrisville, so every five days or so.

I am 60mi to go but did not use any mail drops. i went to manchester center, rutland, richmond and stowe. Catch what was your trailname maybe i've been seeing you in the books?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++